Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204684 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 05, 2009, 06:34:08 pm »

Is green glass a good material to make trap components from? I'm thinking of making a whole lot of serrated green glass discs for some traps, but I don't know if they're going to be very effective or not.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »

They'll work at 50% effectiveness, just like anything else without a given perc value. So they'll only be as effective as wood, however cool the concept of using glass blades might be.

That doesn't stop you from making a torture pit out of them, though.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:30 pm »

They'll work at 50% effectiveness, just like anything else without a given perc value. So they'll only be as effective as wood, however cool the concept of using glass blades might be.

That doesn't stop you from making a torture pit out of them, though.
Shoot. Okay then. Thank you.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2009, 06:44:01 pm »

The advantage to glass is that if you have magma and sand... you've an endless supply.  Fell free to put out a thousand fully loaded traps.  If not, don't waste your wood.  It'd be faster just to make wooden trap components.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2009, 07:10:18 pm »

In my experience, ten masterwork green glass serrated sawblades in a weapon trap will shred most non-megabeast creatures in one hit.  Quantity and masterwork status make up for the 50% material penalty, and if you have sand and magma there's nothing to stop you from churning them out endlessly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »

Could you record it in a story told format like with that other hermit dwarf who killed EVERYONE but in the end got killed by a HFS in the end, was pretty anti-climaxtic as i thought it was cheap as how she mined into the pit, meh.
Only if you can be bothered though :P

Eh, it's a little bit late in the fort for that. I've got deep mine shafts extending through the mountain, and I've almost entirely completed my expansive Tower-cap forest/mud farm/personal waterfall/obsidian farming project. Luckily, I have expendable migrants outside to dick around with the magma pump; my hermit just needs to dig the passages and build the safety doors.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2009, 02:02:40 am »

Well I do have plenty of magma and sand, so I might as well make tons of them, then.

Speaking of sand...I accidentally--somehow--dumped a couple bags into my atom smasher smashing area(needed to smash stone to increase FPS) without realizing it(I only saw them in the pile after I activated the smasher) and now I keep getting spammed with "Urist McDwarf cancels collect sand: job item lost or destroyed."

I don't quite get why they keep doing this. There are plenty of bags available.

EDIT: Nevermind; they stopped after I canceled the collect sand jobs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:36:15 am by Kyronea »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2009, 12:43:32 am »

WHAT
THE
ARMOK

How can a muskox give birth where the only two type of its species on the map belong to my dwarves and are both female.
Luckily both of them gave birth and birthed males..
The trip was too far away from the mountain homes to be knocked up.
I blame those damned elves.

Merchant animals can and will knock up your tame ones.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2009, 12:56:06 am »

i suddenly love those dwarven merchants more :D
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2009, 01:19:03 am »

There is a bloated tuber in my trade depot. It refuses to be hauled or dumped or brewed, and it's not forbidden. I don't know if I can trade it or not, as I don't remember.

How can I get rid of it, short of tacking it onto a trade as a free gift?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:47 am »

Have you got the right stockpiles?

Have you reclaimed the site?

have you made sure your dorfs arnt doing what you say? (e..g a dwarf isnt free atm)

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2009, 01:26:29 pm »

How do I view individual organ damage? Not just the general v.w 'lower body' stuff.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »

If there is individual organ damage, it will show up when you scroll through the wounds screen using +-*/ on the numpad. If there's no scrolling, terrific! There's no individual organ damage.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:38 pm »

Organ damage only becomes visible when an organ is damaged. Specifically, body parts with the [SMALL] or [INTERNAL] tags aren't visible until they've been damaged.

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2009, 01:30:22 pm »

Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 181