Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204002 times)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

Organ damage only becomes visible when an organ is damaged. Specifically, body parts with the [SMALL] or [INTERNAL] tags aren't visible until they've been damaged.

Oh how cool.  I had a legend that one of my engravers carved of an  elf getting its toe cut off, and I couldn't imagine how in the world that worked.  So everyone has toes, they just don't show...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2009, 08:02:21 pm »

Have you got the right stockpiles?
Have you reclaimed the site?
have you made sure your dorfs arnt doing what you say? (e..g a dwarf isnt free atm)

Yes, no, and yes. There have been thirty idlers available, not moving it. And they went right onto food hauling when I slaughtered most of the livestock.
I can't trade it, either.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2009, 11:54:00 pm »

Have you checked all your options to check if something is turned off in there.
sometimes things can be considered refuse.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2009, 12:35:52 am »

All options that might affect it are working on other things. Refuse, food, item, and trade good haulage all work.

Another question. There are two pet cats causing miasmas with dead olms. They're constantly out hunting. How do I murder them without butchering the owner first?

EDIT:
Or at least get the dwarves to only haul remains from indoors without killing my outdoor refuse haulage, or scampering off to the chasm to haul in dead rats that the 'cave' spiders killed outside?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:22:34 am by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2009, 02:51:35 am »

To kill ze cats.

make something like this...

========
=L+D^^^D
========

L is lever
+ is normal tile for your dwarf to stand on
^ is spike traps.
D is door
= is wall

set the lever so only the dwarf with the pets you want to kill can pull it and then order it to be pulled, repeativly, also set it so that the door behind the tile where the dwarf stands on is pet impassible ( that way the pets still path to the owner but cant get through...)
Once the cats are there they should run in and stand on the spike traps, pet impass on the back door as well.

This way the owner will kill his cats!
:D
dwarfy.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 08, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »

To kill ze cats.

make something like this...

========
=L+D^^^D
========

L is lever
+ is normal tile for your dwarf to stand on
^ is spike traps.
D is door
= is wall

set the lever so only the dwarf with the pets you want to kill can pull it and then order it to be pulled, repeativly, also set it so that the door behind the tile where the dwarf stands on is pet impassible ( that way the pets still path to the owner but cant get through...)
Once the cats are there they should run in and stand on the spike traps, pet impass on the back door as well.

This way the owner will kill his cats!
:D
dwarfy.

Thankyou!

I shall get to modifying the noble murdering system.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2009, 02:29:54 pm »

So, I know how to build a well and all that.  But can you build it +1 Z from the water surface?  My "ground floor" is a z level above the brook surface, which means it's two Z up from the tunnel that I'm going to fill with water.  I can easily dig a 'water room', but I was hoping to get the well directly in my infirmary.

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 08, 2009, 02:38:25 pm »

Do Zombie Giant Cave Spiders create a Web?
Because i accidently just killed one in my Fortress without finding any

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 08, 2009, 03:20:08 pm »

So, I know how to build a well and all that.  But can you build it +1 Z from the water surface?  My "ground floor" is a z level above the brook surface, which means it's two Z up from the tunnel that I'm going to fill with water.  I can easily dig a 'water room', but I was hoping to get the well directly in my infirmary.
Yes, wells can be pretty much any depth.  The deeper they are the longer they take to use (you can actually watch the bucket getting lowered and raised).  Some say that deeper wells are worth more, don't know if that's ever been confirmed though.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 08, 2009, 06:28:04 pm »

Yes, wells can be pretty much any depth.  The deeper they are the longer they take to use (you can actually watch the bucket getting lowered and raised).  Some say that deeper wells are worth more, don't know if that's ever been confirmed though.

I presume this also means that one can simply drill to aquifer from anywhere that's above it and you'll get a functional well.  The delay in use is a clever way to limit the depth to something reasonable.  Is it faster to have them walk up and down stairs or use the well?

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »

I've not heard of them being worth more before, but I've seen people claim that deeper wells make dwarves happier for some reason.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:14 pm »

Will buried (dead) dwarves stay in the coffins when you slate them for removal? My champion died and I forgot to make a tomb for him.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 08, 2009, 09:31:50 pm »

Will buried (dead) dwarves stay in the coffins when you slate them for removal? My champion died and I forgot to make a tomb for him.

Nope. They just shift to the next available one and get hauled there while the coffin is stockpiled.
Just make him a memorial instead, with his favourite materials/items in it.

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »

Nope. They just shift to the next available one and get hauled there while the coffin is stockpiled.

So technically, if the only coffin left was the one in his 'tomb' then he would get hauled there?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 08, 2009, 11:32:02 pm »

So technically, if the only coffin left was the one in his 'tomb' then he would get hauled there?

You are correct. You can't resize the resulting tomb though, so he'll be buried in a grave no matter what.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 181