Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203996 times)

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2009, 01:36:21 am »

Why am I getting caveins while mass-designating ramps to lower large flat areas by one (or more, successively) z-level? I've checked there are no trees above the level I'm designating the up-ramps on to interfere with digging.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2009, 01:52:48 am »

I want to embark over an underground road, preferably dwarven.  But I can't seem to find any (I changed the init settings so I should be able to see them...I can see HFS, ect, so the other changes worked).  The entity files say dwarves can build them too.  Any suggestions?
Look for large dwarven civs; they have to be pretty developed to start building tunnels.  It's difficult at best to tell tunnels from roads on the worldmap; your best shot is to look for ones that bisect mountain regions.
Why am I getting caveins while mass-designating ramps to lower large flat areas by one (or more, successively) z-level? I've checked there are no trees above the level I'm designating the up-ramps on to interfere with digging.
Workshops, furniture, and stockpiles will do the same thing.  Maybe something like that?

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2009, 02:01:45 am »

Workshops, furniture, and stockpiles will do the same thing.  Maybe something like that?

Nope. This was far away from my fortress; I'm positive the terrain one z-level up was a) flat b) empty, e.g. no trees. The particular instance that prompted this post was in a wooded biome but I've had it happen in mountain biomes (with no trees) as well.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2009, 02:26:06 am »

Nope. This was far away from my fortress; I'm positive the terrain one z-level up was a) flat b) empty, e.g. no trees. The particular instance that prompted this post was in a wooded biome but I've had it happen in mountain biomes (with no trees) as well.
Perhaps a sapling grew into a tree at the last moment, when you weren't looking.  Or maybe an ant hill? :-\

I've heard people talk about a bug that causes random cavings with ramps, but honestly I've done a lot of digging that way and every cave-in I've ever had was my own fault.  I can be very easy to miss something...  Do you have a save/picture of the area before you dug it out?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2009, 02:27:56 am »

If a dwarf is assigned a tomb, all his possessions will go in there when he dies, if all of them can fit. He will still own them.

If a dwarf dies and is not assigned a tomb, his belongings goes to his next of kin. If he has none, they belong to the fortress.

I experimented with this excessively, and here are the results:
- On death, without a tomb, a dwarf loses the possession of everything he had. Everyone gets a sock.
- On death, with a tomb, a dwarf will retain possession of any clothes they have, which will be delivered into the tomb... onto the floor. One item at a time.
- To compensate for that, you can put cabinets in tombs. You need 2 cabinets for an average dwarf's clothing set.
- Armor and weapons never get ownership, so dwarves never get to keep them.
- Theoretically speaking, any "trinket" possessions (ie. mugs) should be stored in a chest, but I haven't seen that happen yet

Also, on ramps, are ramps considered vertical support? I thought they were anything but that.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2009, 02:44:24 am »

I think they are. The up ramp and down ramp above it provide support, I believe.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2009, 02:58:42 am »

How do i advance time in a worl thats already been genned, i want to fast forward 50 years into the future.
Any possible way to do this without playing fortress mode on a 2x2 site and letting the game play for days on end?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2009, 03:08:23 am »

How do i advance time in a worl thats already been genned, i want to fast forward 50 years into the future.
Any possible way to do this without playing fortress mode on a 2x2 site and letting the game play for days on end?
Start a fort, then abandon immediately. Repeat 50 times. Each fort is founded at the beginning of the 1st of spring, so if the very beginning of the first of spring has already begun in a year due to another fort being founded and abandoned, it'll move to the next year.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that world-gen-type events, like wars, megabeast raids, births, and whatnot don't actually happen after world gen finishes, so it won't do you much good.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2009, 03:47:28 am »

Damn that sucks...

World gen type events should continue after it finishes.
World really make the game more intresting.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:08 am »

Start a fort, then abandon immediately. Repeat 50 times. Each fort is founded at the beginning of the 1st of spring, so if the very beginning of the first of spring has already begun in a year due to another fort being founded and abandoned, it'll move to the next year.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that world-gen-type events, like wars, megabeast raids, births, and whatnot don't actually happen after world gen finishes, so it won't do you much good.

It should make moss grow on the wall of your abandoned fortresses though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2009, 05:22:55 am »

Is it possible to breed vermin or do they just spawn in their biome? (I want to start a moghopper farm for their j00ce :D) Is it possible to deplete vermin like with fish and large animals?

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:31 am »

I've had this cavein thing happen underground, on a map with no treecaps, and it bugged me so much I savescummed to save my miner.  and it happened again, and again, until I shifted my ramp designations and channeled out the offending area. I'd very much like to know a good way to stop this.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2009, 11:41:36 am »

Can you add additional parameters to the name generator for group/fortress?
Instead of "Hammerflickers", can I make it randomly generate "of's" and "the's"?
Not only can you do that, but you can pick your own name.  Hit (F) when you're in the "prepare for the journey carefully" screen.

I know you can pick your own name, but assigning parameters to newly randomized names is new to me. I think he's specifically looking for the game to generate random names that are longer than [rear_compound]+[front_compound] (the generator will do that on its own, but not reliably).

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:21 pm »

I know you can pick your own name, but assigning parameters to newly randomized names is new to me. I think he's specifically looking for the game to generate random names that are longer than [rear_compound]+[front_compound] (the generator will do that on its own, but not reliably).
Oh, my bad.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 14, 2009, 03:06:35 pm »

Is it possible to breed vermin or do they just spawn in their biome? (I want to start a moghopper farm for their j00ce :D) Is it possible to deplete vermin like with fish and large animals?

No one seems to know the answer, so, despite that I don't do much with vermin aside from killing them, I'll give my halfway answer and suggest that you try dwarven science.

I'm not sure about breeding them.  Check your tamed ones to see if they have gender.  If they do, it's worth a shot.  Come back and tell us how it goes.

I don't think you can deplete vermin.  They just spawn.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were a max_number of vermin on a given map, though.  I just remembered that fish are vermin, and they can be temporarily depleted, but I'm not sure about other vermin.  I still get fire snakes in a 17 year old fortress, in spite of nearly reaching critical feline mass at one point.  Tame a whole slew of vermin and report results.

Hey, look at that, assimilateur said the same thing while I was editing.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 03:12:57 pm by Yagrum Bagarn »
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 181