Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204519 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 14, 2009, 03:10:53 pm »

It's commonly believed that:

1. vermin spawn randomly in their respective biome (fire snakes in or near a magma source, turtles in or around pools), and

2. vermin fish will, sadly, be depleted after a couple of years of heavy fishing. That might also be true for other vermin, if you try and trap them for a long time.

Note that I said "commonly believed" and not "known", because I don't know whether or not the evidence for the second point is more than anecdotal.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 14, 2009, 04:33:25 pm »

Didn't see this in the search: Is there a way to disable immigrants arriving with pets in tow?

Seems like that should be a configurable option, if not.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:39 pm »

While I'm at it:

I want to view more tiles on my screen than I have been.  I found how to increase the window size, and I expected "Grid" to increase the number of tiles displayed, but the game doesn't seem inclined to use the whole window, it simply uses the original space and leaves a bunch of black space around it.

UPDATE: Nevermind!  I figured it out.

For those with the same question: World gen and embark selection will never use the full window (sadly), but gameplay will.  Trust your instincts!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:46:32 pm by qoonpooka »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:41 pm »

You might try to remove the common_domestic tags of your potential pets, but for all I know that might also make them unavailable for trade and embark, so use with caution.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 14, 2009, 07:11:32 pm »

Hmm. Guess I'll have to try it myself then! I'll post the results after a while. One more question: do vermin follow their owners like normal pets or will the owner pick them up? I'm mostly concerned because of framerate...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06:55 pm »

Hmm. Guess I'll have to try it myself then! I'll post the results after a while. One more question: do vermin follow their owners like normal pets or will the owner pick them up? I'm mostly concerned because of framerate...
Their owners will carry them; you'll be able to see them in the dwarf's inventory screen.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 14, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »

I have a lever. I have a job for it to be linked to a bridge, and I have mechanics, but my dwarves keep suspending the job. Why?

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 14, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »

I have a lever. I have a job for it to be linked to a bridge, and I have mechanics, but my dwarves keep suspending the job. Why?
They could be doing that for any number of reasons, really. Go into the standing orders menu and press x a few times to have DF announce all job cancellations. Try it again and see if DF tells you why in the announcement log.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 14, 2009, 09:33:25 pm »

Uh... "Forbidden Area"? I don't understand why, it's just my dining room. Most of my dwarves aren't allowed to go in because they're stationed soldiers, but four are civilians and can do whatever they like.

Er, I changed some orders and it was fixed. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:38:54 pm by Cheddarius »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:50 pm »

I think they are. The up ramp and down ramp above it provide support, I believe.

This is incorrect.  I just tested this by embarking then constructing a wall, constructing a ramp next to the wall, constructing a floor on top of the wall, then deconstructing the wall.  The floor caved in, knocking out the dwarf doing the deconstruction.

As such, digging ramps COULD cause a cave-in if the level above is already mined out but still has floors or otherwise unsupported walls.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2009, 01:18:50 am »

So, one of my dwarves died of thirst. I have no clue where he may be. Is there some way I can find him quickly, or should I just scan the map until I find his tiny little body?

EDIT: One more question I have. My map is full of obsidian. This would mean there is a magma source somewhere on the map, correct?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:21:48 am by Iverum »

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:48 am »

So, one of my dwarves died of thirst. I have no clue where he may be. Is there some way I can find him quickly, or should I just scan the map until I find his tiny little body?

EDIT: One more question I have. My map is full of obsidian. This would mean there is a magma source somewhere on the map, correct?

You could scan the stocks (under 'z') to see if you can find his corpse and zoom to it.  Your stockpiles might need to be updated by a recordkeeper if you have more than nine corpses on the map, though.

And no, obsidian does not definitely indicate magma.  Obsidian is a stone that appears in layers in areas with high volcanism, but it does not guarantee magma.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:05 am »

Thank you. I managed to find his corpse.

And thank you for clearing that up about the magma.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:55 am »

As such, digging ramps COULD cause a cave-in if the level above is already mined out but still has floors or otherwise unsupported walls.

I've had this "cavein while mass ramps are excavated" thing happen multiple times, often in mountain biomes with no trees to interfere with digging. I'm 99% confident it hasn't involved dangling floors/walls, but I'll try to catch an autosave next time it happens (or at least save out during the "A cave-in has occurred" pause and upload that) so we can hopefully narrow it down.

Different question: I'm pretty sure underground rivers have a z-level of "air pocket" above them (i.e. damp stone on z-level 1, water on z-level 2, open space on z-level 3, nondamp stone on z-level 4). Do magma pipes (not vents - e.g. magma pipes that fail to break the surface and are not visible upon embark) have such an air pocket? I ask because I'm considering how to scout for them when I know there's a pipe somewhere on the map, but not exactly where - is it safe to dig stairs straight down, or will my dwarf, failing to find warm stone and digging stairs out of the last z-level of rock, plummet past the one z-level of air into the magma?

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:23 am »

I don't think you can deplete vermin.  They just spawn.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were a max_number of vermin on a given map, though.  I just remembered that fish are vermin, and they can be temporarily depleted, but I'm not sure about other vermin.  I still get fire snakes in a 17 year old fortress, in spite of nearly reaching critical feline mass at one point.  Tame a whole slew of vermin and report results.

I don't think the actual fish vermin creatures that you see swimming around in ponds/rivers/etc. are related to the fish that fisherdwarves catch; I think the source of those "caught" fish are abstracted to just be a "fish in stock" counter for each biome and river present on a map. Check out http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32555.msg475330#msg475330, specifically the earlier points.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 181