Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204505 times)

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #435 on: December 17, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »

Pump Stacking... how do I do?

I can't build pumps directly on top of each other... it needs floor.  The floor seems to block the transmission of power...

How am I suppose to power them all? Put a gear stack next to them?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 17, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »

A few questions about Magma:
- If pressurized via a pump, will it rize UP through bars/grates?
- Will magma seep down through magma-safe bars/grates?

I have some fun trap ideas in mind...
Yes, to both questions, though for the second only if there's a place for it to fall to. In fact, liquids treat bars/grates just the same as they do open space, from what I can tell.

Pump Stacking... how do I do?

I can't build pumps directly on top of each other... it needs floor.  The floor seems to block the transmission of power...

How am I suppose to power them all? Put a gear stack next to them?
Only the passable square of a pump needs to be on a floor if it would be hanging from another machine otherwise. So, build a place like this:

.+.+

with .s as open space and +s as floors, and turn it into this:

.%>+

with the %> being a pump that pumps from the left and outputs to the right. As long as there is a machine somewhere orthagonally connected to the pump, including above or below, it will be able to be built and will transfer power. Then, just mirror the design and put it directly above and you'll be able to build as many levels as you need in as little as a 4x1 area (6x3 if you enclose it in walls, which is a good idea to prevent liquid loss going up the stack).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 17, 2009, 09:03:54 pm »

Awesome, thanks Necro!

NExt question:  40d, 40d14, 40d16... what all are these versions?  What are the big differences?  Which one is most stable? Which one is cooler?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 17, 2009, 09:21:03 pm »

Are people sure that there's no such thing as friendly fire? Is it absolutely confirmed?

I'd like to add that I just recently found incredibly strong evidence for Friendly Fire being active. I was moving my naked, weaponless goblin prisoners to the Trade Depot, having forgotten that when I tried they'd escape. So, in a long narrow corridor I had a desperate goblin prisoner, a Tough Spearman. My new recruits charged into melee to prevent an escape, while my crossbows riddled him with arrows. However, one of the dorf recruits now has a wounded lower spine and arm, and I noticed this after watching arrows fly down the corridor and stop at his square. It looks like yeah, he just got shot in the back.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 17, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

NExt question:  40d, 40d14, 40d16... what all are these versions?  What are the big differences?  Which one is most stable? Which one is cooler?

The versions with a number after d (like 40d16, the newest, by the way) are released by Baughn (though he's not the only one working on them, AFAIK), and not by the dev Toady himself. They include some bugfixes, but are mostly attempts at speeding up DF. If you haven't tried them already, then you should do so. A lot of people have experienced better performance with those versions.

vechora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 17, 2009, 10:45:11 pm »

quick question before im ruining my perfect starting location

is it true that making a "bridge" from floors over a chasm then walling those floors off on both sides creating an "aquaduct" for magma has to be made of firesafe material rather then magmasafe material?

however if i put a firesafe floodgate in there it will melt like chocolate?

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 17, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »

The versions with a number after d (like 40d16, the newest, by the way) are released by Baughn (though he's not the only one working on them, AFAIK), and not by the dev Toady himself. They include some bugfixes, but are mostly attempts at speeding up DF. If you haven't tried them already, then you should do so. A lot of people have experienced better performance with those versions.

I notice 40d16 has no "grid" options in its init file.  Is this part of the speeding up Open GL?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 17, 2009, 11:07:37 pm »

I'm not sure, but I vaguely recall reading about grid size now being calculated automatically.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:31 pm »

quick question before im ruining my perfect starting location

is it true that making a "bridge" from floors over a chasm then walling those floors off on both sides creating an "aquaduct" for magma has to be made of firesafe material rather then magmasafe material?
No, floors and walls are totally indestructible except by a deconstruct designation. You could build the magmaduct out of wood if you wanted, and it would be as solid as if it was made from steel. Magma will not damage floors or walls, no matter what.

however if i put a firesafe floodgate in there it will melt like chocolate?
This however is true. Merely firesafe materials will melt in magma, but only if they are in magma. As long as the floodgate is closed, it will remain intact, but open it and it will melt unless the floodgate itself and any and all mechanisms attacked to it are made from magma-safe materials.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 18, 2009, 04:27:16 am »

If I drop a critter into a deep pit and it lands on of my dwarfs or hounds will they get hurt?
My personality profile.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 18, 2009, 05:28:01 am »

The fortress guard (female migrants are surplus to requirements ...
The military itself is recruited from male migrants. ...
I don't bother to boot-camp train them, ...
There's a big chunk of Restricted access over the main entrance, to discourage anyone wandering outside ...
Squads have a season or two on duty, then the rest of the year off for training and exposure to the meeting zone. ...

1) I assume the gender discrimination is because female immigrants can sometimes haul babies into combat, who then die? Any other reasons?
2) Regarding "boot camp training" (if you don't know what we're talking about, check... "Cross training" ? on the wiki), I agree that it never seemed to make sense - you're gaining xp towards attributes, but you could be gaining xp while doing, say, sparring, which also increases relevant skills. Is there any compelling reason to pursue crosstraining?
3) Restricted traffic zones affect relative costs of different paths. They don't affect whether a dwarf will enter/leave/traverse a region if there's no alternative. (For details, read the traffic section on the wiki.) How does designating your entire entrance as Restricted affect anything, if they need to go through that section - and no alternatives exist - in order to get somewhere in the "unprotected outside" ? The only change I can see would be increased pathfinding cost as the pathfinding algorithm spends more cycles looking for paths inside your fortress.
4) Could someone explain exactly how military dwarves get tired of continued service, and the consequences? I can't find anything on the wiki.

Another option is to hollow out a very large two-z-level tall underground room directly below a forest, prop it up from below with a lever-activted support, then channel out all around it. After recalling all your Dwarves to a safe place, pull the lever, collapsing the forest into the huge underground room. Then roof it over at the first underground level (to prevent enemy archers from standing at the rim and taking pot-shots at your Berry-Pickers, Lumberjacks and Haulers).

Wait... you can do this? Goodness. And the forest is intact, below in your fort? I'd be tempted to try it but I usually do the moat+curtain wall around 99% of the map (once my fort is far enough along that I have the military muscle to protect the workers during the project).

I notice 40d16 has no "grid" options in its init file.  Is this part of the speeding up Open GL?

1) 40d16 has no grid options in the init because a) the grid is automatically calculated when in windowed mode, so resizing the window is equivalent to setting a new grid option, and more convenient, and b) the grid is calculated in fullscreen mode assuming you want tiles at their native resolution, and as many of them as fit into your screen. Both are reasonable assumptions; the only time you might want to specifically set a grid option would be if for some OCD reason you absolutely must have the grid perfectly fill in a windowed-mode window.
2) In my experience, 40d (no OpenGL update) is more stable, and has fewer/no input bugs. 40d16 has problems with losing keyboard input while alt-tabbing in/out of fullscreen mode, and has crashed once for me in ~a week, while 40d has never crashed for me.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 18, 2009, 05:54:59 am »

1) I assume the gender discrimination is because female immigrants can sometimes haul babies into combat, who then die? Any other reasons?
2) Regarding "boot camp training" (if you don't know what we're talking about, check... "Cross training" ? on the wiki), I agree that it never seemed to make sense - you're gaining xp towards attributes, but you could be gaining xp while doing, say, sparring, which also increases relevant skills. Is there any compelling reason to pursue crosstraining?
3) Restricted traffic zones affect relative costs of different paths. They don't affect whether a dwarf will enter/leave/traverse a region if there's no alternative. (For details, read the traffic section on the wiki.) How does designating your entire entrance as Restricted affect anything, if they need to go through that section - and no alternatives exist - in order to get somewhere in the "unprotected outside" ? The only change I can see would be increased pathfinding cost as the pathfinding algorithm spends more cycles looking for paths inside your fortress.
4) Could someone explain exactly how military dwarves get tired of continued service, and the consequences? I can't find anything on the wiki.

I can answer some of those.
1) While there isn't a real gender separation in the game (yet?), female dwarves do in fact carry babies into combat, and those babies are VERY likely to catch arrows, or be dropped if/when the mother dies/is injured. Fortress Guard are much less likely to suffer such consequences.
2) The real challenge for dwarves is often surviving the bootcamp training. Stats help here significantly. Also, some cross-training techniques tend to skill dwarves really fast, resulting in fast stat gain. The end result is usually a superior soldier of equal skill, which is more likely to survive
3) Forbidden algorith essentially says "unless it's farther than 25 squares for each square through this, don't go here", and dwarves won't wander in. They will go inside however if they have a task there, ie. workshop. But sounds like you already know that.
4) Most dwarves will get fairly tired of being on-duty, and receive a negative thought. Comparably, I've had higher-skill dwarves who would get quite upset if I took them off duty. Keep an eye on the profile and you'll be fine.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 18, 2009, 08:01:40 am »

I'm currently using the version of Dwarf Fortress that you can get from Mayday Green's site (the one which includes the excellent tileset).  Despite sound being on and set to full, the music isn't playing.  The music is in the files and everything, it just won't come on.  How to fix?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 18, 2009, 08:32:26 am »

If I drop a critter into a deep pit and it lands on of my dwarfs or hounds will they get hurt?

No. Neither one, actually.

The fortress guard (female migrants are surplus to requirements ...
The military itself is recruited from male migrants. ...
I don't bother to boot-camp train them, ...
There's a big chunk of Restricted access over the main entrance, to discourage anyone wandering outside ...
Squads have a season or two on duty, then the rest of the year off for training and exposure to the meeting zone. ...

1. Mothers get unhappy when their babies take a spear for them. If a siege is particularly nasty, I don't want a bezerk champion.

2. Cross-training gives them plenty of experience before they start training, so they have increased agility and toughness to avoid being killed by Urist mcSparringPartner. Also, more stats for combat.

3. It means they won't go outside unless there's no indoor alternative. Less casualties.

4. They get more and more unhappy the longer they're on duty. Wandering around on patrol makes it quicker. You do NOT want your multi-legendary champion to go on a killing spree because her baby got shot and put her over the edge into bezerk, and then kill the super-popular philosopher moving dogs around, causing a tantrum spiral.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 18, 2009, 02:44:27 pm »

People always say that animals, pets in particular destroy their fps due to pathing. I had a fort where I brought 12 dogs and caged all newborn puppies. When I had ~100 dogs I let them all out, they ran all over the fortress and clogged up the meeting room but my fps never noticeably dropped. I caged them all up again and the fps did not go up.

I do not have a fast computer. I normally get 30-60 frames depending on size of my forts.

So what's the deal with animals killing fps? Unable to reproduce, closing ticket. lol
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 181