Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204503 times)

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #450 on: December 18, 2009, 03:23:55 pm »

So what's the deal with animals killing fps? Unable to reproduce, closing ticket. lol
I think that refers to the bug with pets and pet-impassible doors. Pets can't open them but try to path through them, which means they stand in front of a door and constantly try to find a path, using a lot of processor time and eating FPS. Seems that letting many pets roam free kills hauling, controlling them with a pet-forbidden door kills fps, and controlling them with a cage kills breeding. A more creative solution like a locked pit is the best.

All that from wiki and forum, not experiments :(.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:12 pm »

The two common solutions are a) ACTUALLY impassable, i.e. Forbidden, doors, and b) using a multi-story pit with many retractable bridges halfway up, each covering a small portion of the overall pit, so you can retract one, remove ~a fourth of your overall animal stock to butcher, and then extend it again to let your animals spread and breed.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2009, 03:10:20 am »

You seem to have misunderstood me. I apologize. I'm saying I've never seen a frame rate decrease from animals. They hang out at a meeting hall all day long and fps is no better or worse than when they're all in one cage. I know exactly what the wiki says and I am questioning it here because I have never seen my fps go down as a result of letting 100 animals roam free.

But apparently i may have never gotten the problem because I never have any pet impassable doors. I will attempt to reproduce this behavior next time I go dog breeding.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2009, 03:24:52 am »

You seem to have misunderstood me. I apologize. I'm saying I've never seen a frame rate decrease from animals. They hang out at a meeting hall all day long and fps is no better or worse than when they're all in one cage. I know exactly what the wiki says and I am questioning it here because I have never seen my fps go down as a result of letting 100 animals roam free.

But apparently i may have never gotten the problem because I never have any pet impassable doors. I will attempt to reproduce this behavior next time I go dog breeding.

You need a pretty significant number of animals for there to be a noticeable difference... I think 20 animals might net you a 10 fps loss, and it's not easy to see these changes with the framerate constantly fluctuating, but it's definitely there. I only allow mature females and a male to roam the fort, and even then I pen the up when I can. This might not be too much of a problem initially but if you fall victim to the catsplosion you can have upwards of 50 cats running around... Not good, especially when they're in high traffic areas and they keep forcing your dwarves to path around them.

EDIT: Wait, 100 pets?... You're sure your framerate isn't capping at 100? That will definitely cause some framerate loss, doors or not.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:26:47 am by Amalgam »

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2009, 03:44:57 am »

Nodnod. My post was directed at fizmat's summary of people that DO have fps issues - if you're not, hey, I'm not one to complain.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2009, 03:48:19 am »

So, after dozens of resets I got my moody tailor to make me a bag, so I could build it into a noble's room and get some actual USE out of it. I forgot to do so right away, and now it's been filled with sand. And my glazer won't touch it. I forbade all the other sand bags so he would empty that one, and he won't go near it. I want my freaking artifact back!

How the hell do I make these retards empty the damn bag?

On a related note, does anyone know whether a suggestion has been made for 'display cases' to hold non-furniture items, the way weapon traps can hold artifact weapons to boost a room's value? I'd hate to re-suggest something.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 19, 2009, 04:33:55 am »

Yea its being worked on.

Also make the bag so its not furniture?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2009, 05:12:10 am »

I'm pretty sure they can't fill a bag with sand if it's already furniture... Mine isn't anyway. That's why it got filled with sand; I forgot to set it as furniture right away.

It's sitting in a sandbag stockpile.

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2009, 05:22:50 am »

I'm pretty sure they can't fill a bag with sand if it's already furniture... Mine isn't anyway. That's why it got filled with sand; I forgot to set it as furniture right away.

It's sitting in a sandbag stockpile.
Maybe a legendary glassmaker can touch artifact bags? Might be lost forever seeing as there are no "champion" glassmakers and non-cahmions don't "use" artifacts...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2009, 05:25:06 am »

No, artifact furniture can be used by any dwarves. Only artifact equipment, like clothes, weapons, and armor, can't be used by regular dwarves. (Artifact clothes can't be used at all, though.)

Are you sure that the artifact bag isn't on its way to a stockpile or something like that? There shouldn't be any problem with a glassmaker being unable to use an artifact bag.

Have you tried dumping the sand directly out of the bag?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

do osyters drop pearls? and if not can they be modded so they do?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2009, 01:35:02 pm »

Pets used to cause an FPS drop with pathfinding. D11 and onwards fixed that by greatly simplifying their pathfinding.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »

Pets used to cause an FPS drop with pathfinding. D11 and onwards fixed that by greatly simplifying their pathfinding.
I wish d40+ didn't crash regularly on my laptop.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »

You greatly mistake the difference between versions.

I believe pet pathfinding was fixed well before the d# versions of DF.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2009, 03:59:12 pm »

I believe pet pathfinding was fixed well before the d# versions of DF.

So you mean that pets milling about your meeting area don't cause lag? I mean, I was hoping that this was the case, but I thought the conventional wisdom said otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 181