Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204522 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #495 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:24 am »

Will magma melt/destroy a locked rock hatch if it flows over it?

If by that you imply that you won't need to open said hatch (I assume as much, since you probably said "flows over it" instead of "through it" for a reason), then you might as well build a flow. The magma won't damage it.

If you do need hatch functionality, then you're going to need one that's magma-safe (for example out of bauxite, iron or nickel silver), and use a bauxite mechanism in it (only on the target, not the lever).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:51:53 am by assimilateur »

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2009, 12:25:06 pm »

1) My fort can now support a noble. The wiki was helpful as to their function, but my questions is, do I really need one at all? Will my dwarves misbehave more if I don't have one?

1. Some nobles will arrive as immigrants. The Dungeonmaster usually becomes my best smith within two years ... apart from that, dwarves may get unhappy thoughts if you do not assign a Sheriff, but it may prevent hammerings (--> dwarven justice).

Their likes (e.g. loves Gold or Axes) are random; they base their demands and mandates on them. I'm not sure how far you have to savescum back to get e.g. a different Baron. The king has no likes or dislikes.

My tip would be not to ignore the fact that you'll get nobles & especially (?) a king.
I restarted the same location a few times... the first time, I started making high-value (masterwork, gem-studded, bone-studded) furniture when he arrived, and he went berserk fairly soon so I restarted. The second time around, my first mood was a gemsetter and the second a bonecrafter ... King had a royal room when he arrived, and stayed ecstatic until I got bored. (Other players just kill nobles who become annoying).

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:31 pm »

Well actually, I meant to say, My fort can now support a *sheriff*. However, your answer covered that. Thanks!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 23, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »

2) Magma safe questions: I have heard that not everything needs to be bauxite for the thing to work right. Suppose I wanted a functioning floodgate (not just a  permanent lava block). I would need 1 floodgate, 1 mechanism for the lever, and 2 mechanisms for the linking. Which of these would need to be bauxite for the floodgate to open and close in and around magma?
Floodgate and the mechanism that goes into it (the mechanism selection screen will tell you which is which).
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 23, 2009, 01:40:00 pm »

Floodgate and the mechanism that goes into it (the mechanism selection screen will tell you which is which).

Just pointing out (I think I've already said that on another occasion in this very thread), that floodgates needn't be out of bauxite if you're running short on it. You can also forge them out of magma-safe metals. Refer to the wiki for which those are (iron and steel come to mind, but there are others).

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 26, 2009, 01:52:26 am »

BAAAH,
Ok, problem.
i have a magma source of my map ( magma pipe 5 squares away from my central staircase).
And have found it.
Problem is I cant build any magma buildings, they just dont show up.

How in hell do i fix this?
i dont want to have to re-gen or start a new fortress.
If it helps i reclaimed the place.

edit: self-solved.
Damn bug with reclaiming... i like reclaiming...  grrrr.... time to download that utility...

LIES

question is still sorta up.
i cant get the utility to work.
It comes up with the error
Cannont find dwarf fortress window
And 'tis up.

So, what can i go about to fix this, either making it so the utility works or that i can get mamga buildins another way.

edit: really self solved.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 06:22:26 am by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:01 am »

is there any way of making sure a cat has an "unfortunate accident?" I made the mistake of embarking without cages and tried butchering the babies when the popped out, but they outsmarted me with magic cat psionics and adopted themselves out nearly immediately.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 26, 2009, 05:39:01 am »

In a corridor, build something like this: LDSD, where L stands for a lever, the Ds stand for doors and S is an upright spike trap. Link the lever to the spike, obviously, then make the door to the left pet-impassable and draft and station your cat's owner to the left of the lever. You then wait for the cat to follow him and as soon as it reaches the left door, you forbid the one on the right (it's liable to turn around and look for a different path otherwise), then you forbid the left door just to make sure, dismiss your dwarf from the military and have him pull the lever.

Note that one hit might not be enough to kill the cat (I'm just pointing this out in case you saw nothing happening and thought that it wasn't working; it will most definitely work if you've remembered to link the lever to the trap).

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 26, 2009, 07:08:59 am »

I have a couple of questions regarding modded creatures/materials

1. I modded Iron to be used in mechanisms, does it take a new game to take effect? Or just a reboot? I tried it without rebooting or starting a new game. I could make iron mechanisms, and i queued a few up in my forge but they were never built. Like the game didn't understand the change.

2. If I mod a creature to be able to breed/ be tamed /trained as a war animal does that require a new game to take effect?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 26, 2009, 07:26:00 am »

ad. 1. I've never tried it, but seeing how you're able to queue that job up, you should be able to get them built. Are you sure you have iron bars available? You know you need to smelt iron ore (magnetite, hematite, limonite) or melt down looted iron gear first, right?

ad. 2. I'm positive (I've done so to unicorns lately and it worked without a hitch) about the breeding and taming modifications not requiring a regen, and almost positive about that training thing not requiring it either. I can vouch for the former, and you can easily test the latter one yourself. Just add [trAI­NABLE] to one of the species you've got in your latest fort, other than dogs, obviously, and see if it works immediately after the reboot. You don't need to wait months as you would with making an animal breedable.

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 26, 2009, 07:37:48 am »

Thanks for the reply, yes I did have iron available but all the workers there seemed to ignore the order - till I made a different non modded order higher priority then they built that and ignored the mechanisms order

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 26, 2009, 07:46:48 am »

Thanks for the reply, yes I did have iron available but all the workers there seemed to ignore the order - till I made a different non modded order higher priority then they built that and ignored the mechanisms order

Well, in that case I do not know how to help you with those iron mechanisms. That said, I just thought of something that might help you.

I assume you want to make iron mechanisms because of iron's high melting temperature, right? You can change the melting/boiling/etc. temperature of materials, so you could go to your stone minerals file in the raws and change the melting and boiling temperature of something relatively abundant, like alunite, to something no lower than that of bauxite. This should work without a regen, but it's not perfect, because you will lose the ability of exposing of excess stone of that type via magma (which can be done by atom-smashing, or chasming if a chasm is available, instead).

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 26, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »

yeah I downloaded the molten rocks mod which sets the temperatures for different stones to what they should be (apparently) So I have a few other choices for mechanisms now on my bauxite free map.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 26, 2009, 04:45:23 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 05:34:44 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 27, 2009, 07:43:19 pm »

Are prisoners adults? Or are they children, too?
Repost 'cause I need an answer. :P
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 181