Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204588 times)

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #510 on: December 27, 2009, 07:50:29 pm »

I've had some cases where my prisoners have given birth, while still in the cages. While I don't know if you can capture children, I know you can certainly have children in cages.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:52 pm »

I've been fighting off a seige of about 40 orcs by using a series of drawbridges to split them into groups of two or three then dog-piling them into oblivion with 27 unarmoured unarmed legendary wrestlers. Unfortunately, one of these wrestlers had his left arm lopped off. He looks like he's going to live, but I was wondering how effective amputees are in the army.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 27, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »

well ild put it on fortress guard if you have it or can.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 27, 2009, 10:21:37 pm »

Limb amputees don't recover. If they survive the blood loss, they generally don't get up.
Either put him in the fortress guard to make up numbers, or wall him in to let him die.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 27, 2009, 10:39:33 pm »

I've had some cases where my prisoners have given birth, while still in the cages. While I don't know if you can capture children, I know you can certainly have children in cages.
I meant in adventure mode.
Sorry for not clarifying. :o

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 28, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »

Prisoners are almost always children. Upon reaching adulthood it seems they are integrated into society

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #516 on: December 28, 2009, 10:28:59 pm »

Two related questions:

1) Can crossbows fire at enemies occupying a z-level below the wielder if there's a clear line of sight, ie from a tower?

2) Can melee attacks be made through through fortifications if attacker and defender are standing right up against them?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 28, 2009, 10:54:37 pm »

Two related questions:

1) Can crossbows fire at enemies occupying a z-level below the wielder if there's a clear line of sight, ie from a tower?

2) Can melee attacks be made through through fortifications if attacker and defender are standing right up against them?

Yes and no.

Does the elven blasphemy of no wood products extend to obsidian short swords?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26:13 pm »

Does the elven blasphemy of no wood products extend to obsidian short swords?

Yes.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 28, 2009, 11:48:37 pm »

Why would you try and sell those to the elves anyway?

Let them be content with skull totems, stone crafts, and gem-encrusted goblin clothing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:52 am »

Alright, I was going to craft some adamantine armor and weapons for an adventure mode dwarf and leave them in my abandoned fort. I was going to make a few iron or lead bins to put them in, but I'm not sure how to ensure that they're placed in those bins. I know how to make specialized stockpiles, but not how to designate certain bins to certain piles.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 29, 2009, 02:52:15 pm »

Hi everybody this is my first reply in here
And I want to know if the water in channels evaporates?

rophl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 29, 2009, 05:44:40 pm »

When my most recent migrant wave arrived (taking me up to 64), my dorfs suddenly decided that picking their crops was passé, and now leave whole fields to wither away.
I have ~10 idlers constantly, and the withered crops are put in the refuse pile almost as soon as they wither, so it's not a lack of dorfpower.
Halp?

Adbor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:58 pm »

Alright, I was going to craft some adamantine armor and weapons for an adventure mode dwarf and leave them in my abandoned fort. I was going to make a few iron or lead bins to put them in, but I'm not sure how to ensure that they're placed in those bins. I know how to make specialized stockpiles, but not how to designate certain bins to certain piles.
Highlight the stockpile with Q and find "max bins" variable. Change it to the amount of bins you need and dorfs will bring them if they're available.   

And I want to know if the water in channels evaporates?
As far as I'm concerned, no.

When my most recent migrant wave arrived (taking me up to 64), my dorfs suddenly decided that picking their crops was passé, and now leave whole fields to wither away.
I have ~10 idlers constantly, and the withered crops are put in the refuse pile almost as soon as they wither, so it's not a lack of dorfpower.
Halp?
Make sure the Standing Order "everyone harvests" is enabled, fields are reachable, you have space in your food stockpiles.

rophl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:58 pm »

yep, all those things are fine, they can reach the fields because they're dumping the withered plants, plenty of stockpile space and barrels, standing order is fine, they're just not picking the stuff up. They also won't pick up rocks that have fallen a z level after being deconstructed, but masons will happily use them to build with.

water in channels still evaporates if it's outside, check with K
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 181