Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204595 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #570 on: January 03, 2010, 01:00:17 am »

Do artifacts ever go out?
I ask because there's a leather quiver making everyone annoyed and sad. I've designated a pond over it, but nobody's filled yet.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 03, 2010, 01:46:12 am »

Do artifacts ever go out?
I ask because there's a leather quiver making everyone annoyed and sad. I've designated a pond over it, but nobody's filled yet.

They don't burn out from what I understand, which can be cool sometimes, but usually just annoying. I'd assume you could just dump enough water on it to put it out, but I've never tried it.

You can always channel your local river over to it if the pond isn't working out. :D

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 03, 2010, 02:31:52 am »

got kobolds?
put it outside in the open.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 03, 2010, 01:06:49 pm »

It's ON FIRE. I don't dare move it.

If the pond won't put it out, I'm channeling it into a hole and flooring over.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Tycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:19 pm »

A few quick questions:
Is there a way to get dwarfs to gather up weapons/armor/cloths/misc stuff lying around, besides dump/reclaim? A trade caravan got caught in a string of ambushes, and everyone's dead, but all their stuff is lying in a pile. Not to mention everything left around my fortress after a tantrum spiral.

Is there a way to temporarily seal off an underground water canal? I tapped into a river by just mining underground between a mined out reservoir and the river. No floodgates installed at the time of construction. Since that time about 20 or so dwarfs have fallen down the well, generating miasma and leaving a pile of gear at the bottom. I tried engineering a collapse one z level above, but no dice.

Also, is there a way to reconstruct walls, or build something that acts the same and can have a door attached?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:18:29 pm by Tycho »
Tycho canceles Starting Fist Fight: Went Insane.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 03, 2010, 03:18:26 pm »

Plugging a canal can be done by magma very easily.

Also, WHY do people fall in wells? I've never had that problem.

EDIT:
Apparently you can put out artifacts. Yay for bucket chain fire extinguishing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:29:36 pm by Skorpion »

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 03, 2010, 08:11:13 pm »

Why won't some dwarves spar?  I had 2 dwarves train up to champion just fine.  Then I brought another 4 dwarves into the military.  They all trained wrestling up to a good level, about when they all became elite, and then I switched them to other weapons.  3 of them trained to champion level, one of them trained up to talented level and then stopped.  He still has his weapon, and the other dwarves still train, but he will not.  I bring in another 4 recruits into the military, training wrestling, and I switch Urist McNotrain to wrestling, hoping to bring him to champion level quicker than with axe skill.  All four of them go to champion level, and Urist McNotrain has gained NO skill, in anything(military-wise).

Also, I checked, he has no injuries either.

What the hell is going on?  I've had this happen rarely before, but why? 

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:12 pm »

Why won't some dwarves spar?  I had 2 dwarves train up to champion just fine.  Then I brought another 4 dwarves into the military.  They all trained wrestling up to a good level, about when they all became elite, and then I switched them to other weapons.  3 of them trained to champion level, one of them trained up to talented level and then stopped.  He still has his weapon, and the other dwarves still train, but he will not.  I bring in another 4 recruits into the military, training wrestling, and I switch Urist McNotrain to wrestling, hoping to bring him to champion level quicker than with axe skill.  All four of them go to champion level, and Urist McNotrain has gained NO skill, in anything(military-wise).

Also, I checked, he has no injuries either.

What the hell is going on?  I've had this happen rarely before, but why? 

Well, if they have spinal injuries, that'll stop them, but you say they're uninjured. Are they marksdwarves? I know sometimes marksdwarves can be buggy about when they want to spar. Other than that, I'm not sure, really.

Does editing an existing smelter reaction require a regen? What about adding a new reaction?

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 04, 2010, 12:09:47 am »

Yea, if they had a spinal injury they would hardly be moving, let alone sparring.  But I know how to check for that anyway, so no.  And for the record he is an Elite Wrestler. (Master Wrestling, Talented Axedwarf)  although he refuses to train either.  This usually occurs in one or two dwarves in every fort I play, but I wanna know why.  Is it something I did? Can I fix it?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 04, 2010, 12:56:01 am »

Yea, if they had a spinal injury they would hardly be moving

Light gray, and I think even brown, spinal wounds don't incapacitate them at all when it comes to moving or doing civilian work. It would keep them from sparring. And yes, I know you've checked for wounds, I'm just pointing out the small error here that light spinal wounds necessarily entailed paralysis.

Check if your non-sparring dwarf has got his hands full in any way that would not be conducive to good ergonomics, as far as fighting or sparring is concerned. Sometimes, they will fuck up when picking up equipment and hold both a weapon and shield in one hand; also, when wrestling they sometimes strip clothing or equipment off their adversary, be they friend or foe, and refuse to let go. In that case, marking said items for dumping should sort you out.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2010, 05:20:42 am »

modifying an existing reaction does not need a regen, but a new reaction will require a regen.
This is why I love rose gold :)

labouts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 04, 2010, 05:59:51 am »

Yea, if they had a spinal injury they would hardly be moving, let alone sparring.  But I know how to check for that anyway, so no.  And for the record he is an Elite Wrestler. (Master Wrestling, Talented Axedwarf)  although he refuses to train either.  This usually occurs in one or two dwarves in every fort I play, but I wanna know why.  Is it something I did? Can I fix it?

This might be too obvious, but did you make sure he's off duty? I made that mistake once.  :-[

Also, I think the "Cautiousness", "Excellence" and/or "Lawfulness" Personality traits might affect their willingness to train after reaching a high skill.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:01:45 am by labouts »

Tycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 04, 2010, 10:00:51 am »

If I had magma I'd be all over it. Right now I'm diverting the river through a new hydropower station.

Another question: When making floodgates more than one wide, does each 'floodgate' have to be connected individually to a leaver, or does only one in the row have to be connected? 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #583 on: January 04, 2010, 10:13:26 am »

Each floodgate has to be individually linked.  Alternately, you can get the effect of a row of floodgates by building a raising drawbridge instead.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 04, 2010, 11:41:15 am »

Thanks a lot.
Sorry, more questions:
Animal control. My horse/cat population is far out of control. I can't slaughter fast enough. They're always in the way of some project. I can't build cages fast enough. What do I do?

Suspended construction. Why won't my dwarfs finish sealing off the weak entrance? They'll finish it down to the last necessary wall piece, but won't complete it, so the goblins walk right in, rather than passing the marksdwarf shooting gallery.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 181