Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204510 times)

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 12, 2010, 01:09:41 am »

I can't screenshot my game.  Is there anything I can do to remedy this?  I use print screen and try pasting it into paint and all I get is a black square.  Is this because I play in fullscreen?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 12, 2010, 01:17:53 am »

Try Alt-PrtScr.

(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 12, 2010, 01:18:33 am »

Well, I don't know how to fix your problem, but DF crashes when I play in fullscreen, so I just open it normally and then maximize the window. Maybe that would work and basically have the same effect...

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 12, 2010, 01:48:03 am »

ugh.  alt prtsc doesn't work

will try the window method.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 12, 2010, 02:28:25 am »

How do I get my goods out of the trade depot once I've purchased them?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 12, 2010, 02:32:19 am »

Designate the appropriate stockpiles or a garbage dump zone and dump the items.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 12, 2010, 03:22:30 am »

In vanilla, one of the goblin progress triggers is a population of 80 as well.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:13 am »

On that note, my goblin problem has resurfaced. I'm using the advice given before, but I've got some problems due to not having a trapped labyrinth of projectile fury (In my rush to start out, I just dug straight in). Also I'm massively dependent on wood that I need urgently for barrels and bins and bolts and such. I'm planning to build a large platform or tower of some sort extending out or up to shoot down invaders, will that work?
Also, how can I train my marksdwarves faster so they don't get slaughtered by the ambushes?

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:33 am »

I got to many cats and dogs in my fortress, you could almost say it's raining from the sheer amount of them. Well I could use some simply way to exterminate some of them.

Preferbly in a cruel but simple way.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:14 am »

Atom smasher, drowning pool, magma.

:)

Also shoving them into a large pit can be entertaining.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 12, 2010, 10:21:16 am »

@Elvang Hopefully that is the problem then... I'll see if they don't step up the pace once I get 80. Thanks!

@Cheddarius A tower with fortifications at the top level will certainly protect your archers from everything but other archers. To train your marksdwarves faster, try capturing goblins in cages, and then releasing them into a sealed room with fortifications carved, and letting your archers practice in safety. They gain XP faster when using live targets.

@Psilobe This might not be cruel enough, but it is certainly simple enough. Channel out a single space in your fortress somewhere. On the next z-level down, right where you channelled, make a menacing spike trap. Connect it to a lever, throw all the pets into the pit, then set the lever on repeat.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:51 am »

Not sure if this is as bug or what..

I like to clean up my obsidian farms by melting all the extra rock that has been mined out (that that isn't magma safe).  I don't normally wait very long to mine out the obsidian after dumping the water on it, and Since I dump the water once any stone in the mold goes molten I normally get one obsidian and molten versions of whatever was there when i dumped the water which ends up cooling and leaving me with all the rocks that used to be molten...

Also, molten rocks don't seem to hurt my dwarves while mining (and yes temp is on).

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:22 am »

Not sure if this is as bug or what..

I like to clean up my obsidian farms by melting all the extra rock that has been mined out (that that isn't magma safe).  I don't normally wait very long to mine out the obsidian after dumping the water on it, and Since I dump the water once any stone in the mold goes molten I normally get one obsidian and molten versions of whatever was there when i dumped the water which ends up cooling and leaving me with all the rocks that used to be molten...

Also, molten rocks don't seem to hurt my dwarves while mining (and yes temp is on).

ACtually it looks like the rocks vanash after a bit because my dwarves come with a "cleaning" job and then they go away..

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

I've spent a long time working on a nice death trap... but... it is 3rd autumn and I've not seen hide nor grimy claw of a goblin... If I check the civilization screen, there is indeed a goblin civ. However, supposedly we are at peace, since there is a little 'P' by my dwarven civ when the goblins are selected, and a little 'P' by them when I select my civ. Is that why they haven't been attacking? Will they ever?

What does that 'P' mean? I've got it by all my civs, and the goblins still siege.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 12, 2010, 01:48:44 pm »

@Monk, I thought it meant 'Peace'

--

Question:

How do you search for ores? I used to go dig criss-crossing mine tunnels on every level, 20 appart, the entire map.

Then I heard that isn't good for FPS. What is a FPS friendly way to search for ores?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 181