Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204541 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 15, 2010, 01:33:11 am »

Who needs to tame them? Just set up a breeding operation in a pit and send in the military when necesarry.

Of course, you'd have to find a way of sparing some.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 15, 2010, 02:01:07 am »

how do I generate a custom world?

the game endlessly rejected worlds when I tweaked volcanoes slightly
the wiki was VERY confusing (I may be dumb)

thanks for this thread people! very good stuff here.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:07 am »

I'm wondering, is it possible to mod animals so that they can still be purchased on the embark screen and possibly on caravans, but so that immigrants won't arrive with them as pets?

I can't answer the first part of your question, and I'm greatly interested as well, but pets should really not be much of a problem if you're willing to be brutal. You ever heard of a pet killing device? Build a narrow corridor with a lever, spike trap and two doors, more or less like this: 1___DSD, where 1 stands for the lever, _ for floors, D are doors and S is the spike trap, obviously. You draft your pet owner, station him near the lever, make the left door pet-impassable (but not forbidden, that would keep animals from trying to go through it) and wait for the pet to follow its owner. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory. The loss of a pet might make your guy unhappy, but that's nothing a good drink or fantastic, not to mention legendary, dining room won't cure.

Who needs to tame them? Just set up a breeding operation in a pit and send in the military when necesarry.

Disregarding even the inferior ergonomics of such a solution, as compared to using tame pets, that's beside the point anyway. Unless the mods needed for making pets purchasable on embark and via caravan are so obvious to you that you didn't even mention how to do it.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2010, 01:01:39 pm »

I'm wondering, is it possible to mod animals so that they can still be purchased on the embark screen and possibly on caravans, but so that immigrants won't arrive with them as pets?

I can't answer the first part of your question, and I'm greatly interested as well, but pets should really not be much of a problem if you're willing to be brutal. You ever heard of a pet killing device? Build a narrow corridor with a lever, spike trap and two doors, more or less like this: 1___DSD, where 1 stands for the lever, _ for floors, D are doors and S is the spike trap, obviously. You draft your pet owner, station him near the lever, make the left door pet-impassable (but not forbidden, that would keep animals from trying to go through it) and wait for the pet to follow its owner. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory. The loss of a pet might make your guy unhappy, but that's nothing a good drink or fantastic, not to mention legendary, dining room won't cure.

The deathtrap sounds like a good idea, thanks! I'll use that to tithe me over on my current fort. :)

After a little looking, the wiki lists next to the PETVALUE token that the only creatures available on embark are those with the COMMON_DOMESTIC tag, although there may possibly be some other stipulations to this. Then under the CD tag description it lists that immigrants will bring animals with the CD tag as long as they also have one of the following: PET, PACK_ANIMAL, WAGON_PULLER, MOUNT.

This means that by removing all of the tags from that list from animals who have CD tags would *in theory* make them available on the embark screen, but not available as immigrant pets. It would also make them untameable wild animals which would raise more questions as to how the game would handle them and then how a player should handle them.

I'm definitely going to test this out today.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »

It would also make them untameable wild animals which would raise more questions as to how the game would handle them and then how a player should handle them.

I don't know about the other tags you've mentioned, but the mere removal of the pet tag is reversible when it comes to taming. I've added that tag to unicorns post-embark, and was able to tame them. Whether or not that will make them available for trade I do not know.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2010, 01:45:26 pm »

Do your exported items turn up in adventure mode if you abandon the fort?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »

Disregarding even the inferior ergonomics of such a solution, as compared to using tame pets, that's beside the point anyway. Unless the mods needed for making pets purchasable on embark and via caravan are so obvious to you that you didn't even mention how to do it.

Screw ergonomics and practicality. It's NIFTY.

Do your exported items turn up in adventure mode if you abandon the fort?

Yes.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »

How do I get my goods out of the trade depot once I've purchased them?
Designate the appropriate stockpiles or a garbage dump zone and dump the items.
This didn't work - I dbd-ed the whole depot but my stuff is still just sitting there. And I got such great stuff, too! :(

Also, how do I open my gates to trade without letting in gobbos? If I pause when the season changes and get a lever pulled, can I open the path quick enough to let the caravan in?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:49:26 pm by Cheddarius »

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

Also, how do I open my gates to trade without letting in gobbos? If I pause when the season changes and get a lever pulled, can I open the path quick enough to let the caravan in?

I normally have my depot in an "airlock"  and I leave my depot accessible all the time and when traders show up, once they are unloading goods, I lock them in and open my fort to have access to the depot. 

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:46 am »

Genius! I'll have to reroute my fortress a bit, but this will be great!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 16, 2010, 01:50:53 am »

A nice little question, how do I make custom tilesets?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 16, 2010, 01:53:33 am »

Ok...

So i genned a world with this one PERFECT embark site, serriously great... unbelievably great...
Had a chasm that was also a river ( basically the river in the chasm shape)
Which then flowed down into a underground river.
just south of the chasm there was an exposed bottmless pit.
North west of the bottomless pit and west of the middle of the river-chasm was an exposed magma pipe.
Bottom right was the hfs, wasnt exposed though...

Really awsome mapp..

Ok so here the question comes in...
When i was saving this map, a powercut occured and the saving didnt complete.
Making teh save file corrupt. (meaning i cant load the save anymore...)
Is there ANY WAY i can get the seed out of this or somehow manage to delete the fort and make the region useable again..

Best world ive genned so far...

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 16, 2010, 04:22:58 am »

If it's the last world you generated, then start the game and go to designate new world with parameters. Look at the set of parameters you've used for your last world, and you will see that the seed had been saved, but that the game is supposed to use a random seed next time. Now, you just tell the game to use the world seed as entered in the relevant field, and it should generate the same world you've had before the power failure.

You can also go to your init\world_gen file and make a backup of the parameter set you're so fond of, or better yet, copy the whole world_gen file, just to make sure.

Herzele

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:50 am »

Hello !

I have a small problem... i built a upstair with b \ C \ u (the screen where you can build walls) instead of wall...

How do i destroy the stairs ?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2010, 08:43:05 am »

Try d -> n. That's supposed to deconstruct dwarf-made walls, stairs and the like.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 181