Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204645 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »

I think I've seen first births in late summer of my first year, so that would make pregnancies last around 8 months. Note that this can vary from species to species, and I'm talking about things like cows here.

One thing I do know, however, is that pregnancies aren't very realistic in this game, and I'm not just talking about conception via spores. For example, I've had elephant cows give birth once per year, while their pregnancies last almost 2 years in real life.

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

Not to mention dorfs giving birth in the middle of battle and using their babies as shields.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2010, 05:08:08 pm »

Are cave-ins obliterating glowing pits normal?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:18 pm »

I'm wondering, is it possible to mod animals so that they can still be purchased on the embark screen and possibly on caravans, but so that immigrants won't arrive with them as pets?

I can't answer the first part of your question, and I'm greatly interested as well, but pets should really not be much of a problem if you're willing to be brutal. You ever heard of a pet killing device? Build a narrow corridor with a lever, spike trap and two doors, more or less like this: 1___DSD, where 1 stands for the lever, _ for floors, D are doors and S is the spike trap, obviously. You draft your pet owner, station him near the lever, make the left door pet-impassable (but not forbidden, that would keep animals from trying to go through it) and wait for the pet to follow its owner. The rest is pretty much self-explanatory. The loss of a pet might make your guy unhappy, but that's nothing a good drink or fantastic, not to mention legendary, dining room won't cure.

The deathtrap sounds like a good idea, thanks! I'll use that to tithe me over on my current fort. :)

After a little looking, the wiki lists next to the PETVALUE token that the only creatures available on embark are those with the COMMON_DOMESTIC tag, although there may possibly be some other stipulations to this. Then under the CD tag description it lists that immigrants will bring animals with the CD tag as long as they also have one of the following: PET, PACK_ANIMAL, WAGON_PULLER, MOUNT.

This means that by removing all of the tags from that list from animals who have CD tags would *in theory* make them available on the embark screen, but not available as immigrant pets. It would also make them untameable wild animals which would raise more questions as to how the game would handle them and then how a player should handle them.

I'm definitely going to test this out today.
When I took all COMMON_DOMESTIC tags out of my raws (to cut down on asinine things like cave-dwelling dwarves having pet cows follow them around everywhere), I could still embark with any WAGON_PULLER or MOUNT animals, but nobody brought any pets. This -will- deprive you of dogs, and let me say from experience: Do NOT have only one animal with the COMMON_DOMESTIC tag unless you'd like the Mountainhomes to send you about 500 of them in the autumn.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2010, 11:29:05 pm »

Question:Can a dragon's breath hurt another dragon?

(P.S, I love this thread, it's completley invaluable and is good for the little things that can ruin your garden fort)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »

Is there some way I can revive my liasons who got massacred by goblins so I can ask for stuff I need? That is, cheat? Dwarf Companion doesn't seem to work on my computer, unfortunately...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 19, 2010, 11:49:30 pm »

Is there some way I can revive my liasons who got massacred by goblins so I can ask for stuff I need? That is, cheat? Dwarf Companion doesn't seem to work on my computer, unfortunately...
You could try Spellcraft, especially if you still have the liaison's corpse sitting around someplace. It doesn't actually require a regen, though using it is somewhat complicated as it isn't intended for resurrecting a specific person like that.

Also, you may simply be misusing Companion. The most recent one works only with 40d16 AFAIK, so you may need to dig up a different version. Though if you've already tried that I certainly can't help you  :(
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 20, 2010, 12:00:07 am »

I don't mean that I can't use DC - it doesn't run at all on my computer. But I'll see what Spellcraft can do - thanks!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 20, 2010, 11:05:37 am »

Question:Can a dragon's breath hurt another dragon?
Nvm, just found out they can't.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 20, 2010, 03:16:19 pm »

Alright so I recently found an underground river (see more underground river questions for details).

And I need to know somthing about vermin.

I need some cave spiders, no cave spiders have been seen yet, and I really need some underground silk.
Will cave spiders eventually spawn near the river?
Olms are near the river, but I don't know if they've spawned or they were just there to be begine with.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:51 pm »

GCS's don't spawn.  If they weren't in the creature list on embark, they never will be.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 20, 2010, 03:40:08 pm »

GCS's don't spawn.  If they weren't in the creature list on embark, they never will be.

I'm talking about the cave spiders, not giant cave spiders.

The vermin, not the horrible monster.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #882 on: January 20, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »

Cave spiders do spawn randomly, but only if the biome has them.  Not all cave rivers do.  If you haven't seen any webs or spiders yet, you may simply not have them on your map ever.

No, but they do start stealthed, so not having any on your creature list is no guarantee one isn't on the map hiding somewhere.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 20, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »

Just started my first fortress with an underground river.

Is there any way to prevent muddy subterranean tiles from growing tower caps and shrubs? I'd hate to see the elaborate plumbing I have planned for this fortress get clogged, but I do need to tap the river if I'm ever going to do any farming at this site.
The fish are watching.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #884 on: January 20, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »

Is there any way to prevent muddy subterranean tiles from growing tower caps and shrubs?
It has been my experience that constructing floors on those tiles will stop tower-cap growth.  I have heard other say they've seen tower-caps grown on constructed floors, but never seen it myself, so YMMV.  Constructing paved roads also seems to stop tower-caps from growing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 181