Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587248 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #2790 on: May 21, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »

Oh dear lordy-lord this subforum is dead.  We have two BMs, KotM, two BYORs (one of which hasn't been posted in for 6 days), and nothing else.
We need something cool to play. Something not BYOR, but something... dare I say, themed?

Plus, it hurts that I'm a major source of games, and I'm very busy. I'd usually have more games out, but without that, we're stuck on BYOR repeat, which I suppose I'll hold off for a while when I'm done.

I'll run something fun, but that involves me not being a total slacker.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: May 21, 2011, 02:35:39 pm »

You could always do that Four Rooms mafia thing I made, I didn't get any complaints when I drafted the idea. The amount of feedback I've gotten regarding it is a little dismal though.

Quote from: Heliman
I've been thinking about a "4 Rooms with a TV" mafia game, played almost entirely in Quicktopic. The general concept is that all the players are thrown into various rooms every once in awhile and can't talk to players that are not in the room they are in. The entire crux of playing town successfully will be trying to deal with a constant denial of information, and the crux to playing scum is to play upon that advantage like violinists on a violin. Roles are given out by the traditional F11 distributions, with 8 extra town and one goon tacked on to balance the advantage scum has. I also ran into the problem of players being stranded as only one of a few players in a room, so I made the days into multiple segments, gave each room a special ability when there are few players in it, and had the rooms be periodically destroyed to keep things somewhat crowded.

General Rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Every room has it's own specialty, with a special power depending on the amount of people in a room.

Room 1, The TV room

Room 2, The Record room

Room 3, The Echo Room

Room 4, The Dark Room

EDIT: In retrospect, It's a pretty large game though, Could I even find 18 players before this thing becomes dead?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:16:37 pm by Heliman »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: May 21, 2011, 02:46:23 pm »

Ass soon as we've passed July 10th, I'm going to run a legendary game, I promise.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: May 21, 2011, 03:19:20 pm »

Heli, that does sound pretty neat in concept. A few critiques:

I could see it getting either terribly confusing, or the copious methods of getting snippets of past information putting a lot of focus on the very thing the game-style is meant to conceal. Also, as Scum, it'd be really hard to pull much of a gambit relying on denial of past or present information, because you lack the normal upper-hand in information that most Mafias have; there are so many opportunities for Town to spy on other rooms, secretly watching the whole thing (be it in the future or concurrently in another room) that it would be terribly tough to do much with the denial of info yourself.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: May 21, 2011, 04:19:47 pm »

Hmm, you make a good point. I've got two potential solutions:

I COULD I switch echo room's position with the record room. That way the major observation chamber would be only used earlier in the game, when the special has a less a chance of popping and there is less to take from the record's normal power? That could help.

OR

I could add a rule that I took out. in the early version I had the intention of informing the scum of all the town arrangements for the segments of each day, but I removed it because I thought it was OP, maybe it would help if I added it back? It could lead to situations where a scum could fill the record room or echo room to block it from popping special.

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: May 21, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »

Wouldn't all scum always staying in record room break the game ? They would probably always get the vote majority and no-one would know what's happening in there. And Town without control over room relocation couldn't do anything? Or i missed something ?

Unless the votes carry over segments but that would be confusing as hell if you wouldn't know how many there already are.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:35:12 pm by Tyberix »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: May 21, 2011, 04:37:14 pm »

But the other players, with the exception of those in room 4, can see who is in all the other rooms. Trying to break the game like that would cause the following response:
 "How in the hell is it possible for the same guy to be in the same room five times in a row? Vote:Tiberix"

EDIT: analyzing where the scum sends themselves could be a whole part of the game. Players frequently together could be scummy, players frequently in rooms with a pop+1 players could look scummy, Scum breaking the pop in room 4 could be a gambit to look less scummy, the list goes on.

EDIT^2: Actually, I guess I'll add the second option then. The record room's nature means it was meant to be used late game anyway.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:42:42 pm by Heliman »

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: May 21, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

Ah, nevermind i thought the votes apply only to the current rooms.
There are 3 segments every day, at the end of which the player with the most votes is lynched.
I thought you meant that each segment ends with lynch. It makes more sense this way :P

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: May 21, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

There are 3 segments every day, at the end of which the player with the most votes is lynched.
I thought you meant that each segment ends with lynch. It makes more sense this way :P
Oh man if there was a lynch in every room in every segment we would be done in only one day.

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 21, 2011, 05:05:08 pm »

Oh man if there was a lynch in every room in every segment we would be done in only one day.
Nah, 4-5 people in one room would circle around each other for some time before lynching so it won't be that fast :P On the same topic : would the players be evenly distributed among rooms or completely random ? Because Mafia never choosing the dark room could be legit strategy (that would be very annoying as town) if there would be a big chance of  getting free kills like that.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: May 21, 2011, 05:13:40 pm »

Yes, choices are totally random, and mafia avoiding the Dark Room would be a legit strategy. Mind though, the dark room is only around the first two days when there are a large amount of players, the chances of its special popping is somewhat low. Randomly distributed players is the entire reason why I added the specials, so that players who were all alone in a room would have something special to do in their spare time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:16:34 pm by Heliman »

Tyberix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: May 21, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »

Assuming roles are same as usual, could cop inspect someone from the other room or mafia kill someone who's not in the room with one of them ? And i guess everyone stays in the last room they were at night ? Well,anyway it looks fun, but i guess it will be hell to manage all these quicktopics.  :|

Well if i get the rules right there's around 18,(18)% chance that someone dies in the dark room on the first day if scum would avoid it. I'm not sure if it's worth risking identification so i guess it's balanced enough :P Nah, ignore this i messed something up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:33:35 pm by Tyberix »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 21, 2011, 06:14:38 pm »

inspections, protections, roleblocks and NKs can be on anyone, regardless of room.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 21, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »

Oh dear lordy-lord this subforum is dead.  We have two BMs, KotM, two BYORs (one of which hasn't been posted in for 6 days), and nothing else.
We need something cool to play. Something not BYOR, but something... dare I say, themed?

I couldn't fill Bad Dudes, despite it having ninjas.  It may have been because it needed 13 people, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »

How about a King Maker?
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 443