Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587496 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #3600 on: January 05, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »

Gopher it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: January 05, 2012, 10:21:48 pm »

Hmm, I hadn't considered it, but learning a new language could be a fun way to spend the rest of break. I'll default to Python if I can't get it working, but I think that's a good idea.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: January 06, 2012, 04:08:23 am »

How are you going to do it? It's not like every mod actually specifies which person needs replacement, let alone in any standartized way...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:48 am »

How are you going to do it? It's not like every mod actually specifies which person needs replacement, let alone in any standartized way...

You can always push for standardisation should the current methods be too varied.

There are relatively few mods here to run games, so it wouldn't be all that hard.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: January 06, 2012, 08:46:17 am »

Do we need standardization?  Prods are prods, force replaces are force replaces.  There are so few issues with rulebreaking besides those that I don't think there's an issue.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: January 06, 2012, 08:52:33 am »

Do we need standardization?  Prods are prods, force replaces are force replaces.  There are so few issues with rulebreaking besides those that I don't think there's an issue.

Standardised as in "standardised syntax", in this case pertaining to replaces. I can name six ways off the top of my head that mods have used to write replaces (such as "Peter Gibbons needs a replacement"), and it'd simplify writing an automated attendance tracker a fair bit by asking mods to write replace notices just one way.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:28 am »

Reading comprehension is key!

Something like:

{Replacement for UristMcFlaker}

Using {} would make the false positive rate pretty much nil.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:54 am »

Reading comprehension is key!

Something like:

{Replacement for UristMcFlaker}

Using {} would make the false positive rate pretty much nil.

That's already some of the way there in terms of standardisation. Glad you agree with me. :V

It doesn't mean it will pick up on everything, though, let alone understand what it's reading.

For example, here's a few examples for X replacing Y using your proposed curlies syntax:

{X has replaced Y.}
{X is now Y.}
{Y has been replaced by X}
{Y replaced by X}
{X replaced Y.}
{X has graciously offered to fill in for the recent vacancy, so let's give him a hand, people! He'll be taking Y's spot, so just pretend he's Y now.}

Maybe there'll be fewer false positives, but false negatives have to be accounted for as well.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: January 06, 2012, 09:51:57 am »

Maybe we should just make mods post "X->Y" in the OP to prevent clutter? Seems easier to me.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:32 am »

Maybe instead of trying to come up with a way to scan game threads, we use part of the old attendance thread idea.  Like, at the top of the thread post a template that a mod can just copy/paste into a reply in an attendance thread.  So when a game has completed, the mod just goes to the attendance thread, copies the standard form, fills in the names, and your script can process the thread every so often for new entries.  So that way we don't have to try and get everyone to use a certain format in the individual game threads.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: January 06, 2012, 11:56:19 am »

Maybe instead of trying to come up with a way to scan game threads, we use part of the old attendance thread idea.  Like, at the top of the thread post a template that a mod can just copy/paste into a reply in an attendance thread.  So when a game has completed, the mod just goes to the attendance thread, copies the standard form, fills in the names, and your script can process the thread every so often for new entries.  So that way we don't have to try and get everyone to use a certain format in the individual game threads.
Except nobody will care, which was precisely the reason the current thread died out.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: January 06, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »

There are two approaches that will work, from my perspective:

1) Regulated syntax for declaring replacements that everyone uses.
2) Someone (me) manually goes through all the current threads and updates the scores himself.

On one hand, I'm in favor of things that don't require people to be particularly strict about what they post, as we're in a forum, not something more regulated like games run by a bot. That said, I also want to minimize how much effort is needed on my part, to prevent me from burning out and shirking my responsibilities.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »

There are two approaches that will work, from my perspective:

1) Regulated syntax for declaring replacements that everyone uses.
2) Someone (me) manually goes through all the current threads and updates the scores himself.

On one hand, I'm in favor of things that don't require people to be particularly strict about what they post, as we're in a forum, not something more regulated like games run by a bot. That said, I also want to minimize how much effort is needed on my part, to prevent me from burning out and shirking my responsibilities.

Manual updating is tedious and time-consuming. If you want to spend you time doing that, then so be it, but I highly advise you to consider the first option. :p

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: January 06, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

Actually, since I'm playing pretty much in every single game hosted here, I may update replacements myself. Though forcing other people to standartize is both better and more satisfying. :P

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: January 06, 2012, 03:18:03 pm »

Well, if I did do it myself, I'd make tools to simplify the process, ideally. I'll make the basic framework this weekend, start up the thread, and we can discuss the relative merits of each up to then.

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 443