Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587242 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #3735 on: January 26, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »

That's up to the individual mod.

If I'm hosting a simple game, I have no trouble letting newbies in if they're willing to learn.  More complex games and I'd probably ask that they get at least one game under their belt.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 26, 2012, 02:17:01 pm »

Honey, I'm home!

Did you miss me?

Is it Book? Is it Zathras?

No! It's Zathras!
I saw that edit.
Whatever. Considering I have to reread posts as short as that one twice to get rid of  all the typos made from hunger and general lack of energy I think a ninja-edit is acceptable.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 26, 2012, 02:20:11 pm »

I mostly agree with you on this one, Dariush.  I think that there's sometimes simple games that need just one more to fill and it's fine for first-timers to come in, but we are starting to have a bit of a flaking problem.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 26, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »

I mostly agree with you on this one, Dariush.  I think that there's sometimes simple games that need just one more to fill and it's fine for first-timers to come in, but we are starting to have a bit of a flaking problem.
Honestly, the biggest flaking problem is in BM, which is all about first-timers.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »

Would anyone be interested in a Quick Vanilla?

Basically, small game, 6 players, no flavor, almost purely as a place to practice things a bit quicker than larger games move.
One random role (Doctor or Cop) for town, no roles for the scumplayer.
One scumplayer, plus a n0 mafiakill.

Day one thus starts with 5 players, one lynch one kill, day 2 is lylo almost guaranteed. Fun for everyone.

I was just wondering, maybe it's a silly idea and no one would want to play a game without flavour, but I think as a weekly thing it could be enjoyable.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 26, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »

I'm a bit worried about the 1-scum thing for balance.  That's actually a much harder game for scum to play, even if the projected end of the game is about the same.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:55 pm »

I'd actually figured the much shorter scum hunting time (2days RL) plus the fact that they only needs to live through two lynches would work in the scum's favour. Perhaps you are right, though...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 26, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »

Eh, when you have more than one, the difficulty level is largely stable (more scum means more incriminating connections, fewer scum means less kill buffer)--but an SK game is very different from the standard mafia co-op game, and takes an entirely different way of thinking and interacting with everyone else.

The straight-up 9p nearly-mountainous hasn't shown up for a while, though...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 26, 2012, 02:55:52 pm »

That sounds tough, yeah.  Experience on #mafia tells me that 1 mafia out of 6 players is pretty tough (especially when you get that role that only gets to kill once.  Seriously, screw that role).  Especially if the "role" player claims at lylo - you can either counter claim and go 50/50 against them or not counterclaim and go 50/50 against the townie.  Either way that's 50/50 chance on top of having to survive the previous days and nights.

And I dunno, time constraints aren't necessarily fun.  I kindof prefer unlimited time and hammers, although lurking and our general refusal to compromise on who gets lynched may make this impractical in most games.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:20 pm »

And I dunno, time constraints aren't necessarily fun.  I kindof prefer unlimited time and hammers, although lurking and our general refusal to compromise on who gets lynched may make this impractical in most games.
Which is why I would never make hammers a core element in a game. If people would really want to lynch somebody quickly, there's shortens.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: January 26, 2012, 03:02:55 pm »

Well, I would run a normal sized quick game, but I honestly doubt if I could get people willing to participate enough to make that reasonable.

I could just drop the roles and just play it straight, that would give the scum a bit more power.

It was just an idea, though, if there's no interest that's fine.

And I dunno, time constraints aren't necessarily fun.
I love time constraints, honestly.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: January 26, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »

Which is why I would never make hammers a core element in a game. If people would really want to lynch somebody quickly, there's shortens.
Hammers are amazing. It allows for an extra element for players to (ab)use. Shortens are almost never used because of how impractical they are and how scummy you look while using them. Seriously. You can't use them as either alignment unless you're sure someone's scum. And if you're sure, then you can always use the Day for something else.

Hammers are a great tool, and removing it from a game should be rare, like with BM, where the goal is to learn.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: January 26, 2012, 03:05:43 pm »

Mind you I shorten constantly, whether as scum or as town, if at any point things start to lull (I don't shorten if there's activity going on).

Just as a note to anyone who might find such behavior particularly scummy in the mafia game I've just joined. Expect it.

(assuming it even has shortens... I should probably check)

I'm not a big hammer fan, though.

Edit: Yay! It has shortens! Shortens, here I come. :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: January 26, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »

Shortens are almost never used because of how impractical they are and how scummy you look while using them. Seriously. You can't use them as either alignment unless you're sure someone's scum.
Can't tell if serious of joking.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

Well what I mean by "hammers" is that the day doesn't end until there's a majority vote on someone (like #mafia, or alternatively like mafiascum where they generally have a really long deadline (2 weeks or so) that noone wants to reach because the momentum will be pretty much lost from the game by that point).  It means that the town has to have come to some kind of consensus before the day ends, so people don't just get, say, 3 votes from a bunch of lurkers then get timed out.  It also means the scum generally has to do something if they want the day to end and not just lurk.  Seeing who's prepared to place the hammer vote is always fun too.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 443