Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587105 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #3765 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:25 am »

Pandar:  Not only do I think you should, but I also think you should make it hammers only.  I think we're getting into a rut, and a hammers game would help mix things up.  Hammers are perfectly tolerable in a 9 or so player game.  (This isn't your old 19p monster.)

Personally, I never much liked hammers-only games. Too slow and ponderous.

And our current games with their 8 extensions aren't slow and ponderous?

[I can't say too much, having not deviated from my unlimited extension policy]

I thought we had more games around with Extension limits.

I quite like the pace that the Paranormal series, for example, imposes on the players.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: January 28, 2012, 08:12:21 am »

Well under hammers policy the town can move the game along as fast as they like, pretty much.  Hammers games tend to be accompanied by aggressive anti-lurker mod stuff too to stop them from screwing things up.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:18 pm »

APPROVAL VOTING MAFIA

What do you guys think? No more first past the post! No more worrying about a split vote at the last moment! Something something something and POLITICAL ROLES!

Which of the party members are secretly BLUEDOGS/RHINOS?

Will you be able to survive the switch to an approval voting system? Find out today!

(Not really, just gauging interest)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: January 30, 2012, 06:33:26 pm »

Approval voting sounds weeiiird for a mafia game, although I'd have no qualms with giving it a go.  I kindof prefer Alternative Voting/ Instant Runoff myself (and that would turn out pretty fair and allow for majority lynches as long as your players are prepared to rank who they think are scum).

I guess the other obvious possibility is proportional representation, although that'd require people to have a death percentage or something.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »

I guess the other obvious possibility is proportional representation, although that'd require people to have a death percentage or something.
This sounds like a job for roles! Or, I don't know, committee negotiation or something. Hell, it could even shift randomly each day!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: January 30, 2012, 06:58:13 pm »

...Wait, different voting system every day.  Sleeping god type role.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: January 30, 2012, 10:26:20 pm »

The approval voting idea sounds very interesting! As Leafsnail previously stated, though, it would be very odd for a Mafia game. It would cut into a lot of the strategies that people have built around 'last moment' votes.

But it's definitely something to think about.
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »

The approval voting idea sounds very interesting! As Leafsnail previously stated, though, it would be very odd for a Mafia game. It would cut into a lot of the strategies that people have built around 'last moment' votes.

Hi Mii! Welcome to the Mafia subforum. I don't think I've seen you around here before.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: January 30, 2012, 10:56:11 pm »

Hi Mii! Welcome to the Mafia subforum. I don't think I've seen you around here before.

You definitely haven't! I'm new to both Bay12 and to Mafia (though I've gotten the hang of both by lurking incessantly). It's nice to meet you, Mephansteras!
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:47 pm »

She was going to sub into BM XXX, but klingon had an unfortunate accideath.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »

I'm actually quite grateful that the death occurred. I realize now I wasn't even ready to join a game yet when I started as I had thought - I would have made a complete and utter fool of myself. I'll just hope the NK before I even join isn't somehow negative foreshadowing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »

I'm actually quite grateful that the death occurred. I realize now I wasn't even ready to join a game yet when I started as I had thought - I would have made a complete and utter fool of myself. I'll just hope the NK before I even join isn't somehow negative foreshadowing.
? Don't be worried. It's really not a big deal.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: January 30, 2012, 11:52:18 pm »

Oh lordy, it's Flandre part II ;D

Welcome.  I hope you enjoy yourself here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:21 am »

I've read a plenty of these Mafia games by now; judging by some of the ingenuity I've seen, there is a lot for me to worry about. :'D I'll be taking all of that in stride, though.

Thank you very much, Vector! I don't particularly like melons, though, to tell you the truth.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: January 31, 2012, 12:12:49 am »

I've read a plenty of these Mafia games by now; judging by some of the ingenuity I've seen, there is a lot for me to worry about. :'D I'll be taking all of that in stride, though.

Thank you very much, Vector! I don't particularly like melons, though, to tell you the truth.

OMG, I can't trust a person that doesn't like a good muskmelon. 
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 443