Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587274 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4260 on: January 04, 2013, 09:33:55 am »

Instantly voting nolynch would give you a less than 50% chance of victory (since voting as mafia essentially makes you lose).  Probably not a good idea

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: January 04, 2013, 10:25:05 am »

Interestingly, a nolynch vote is a 100% win for the other player.  Someone with a better knowledge of game theory than I could have fun with that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:46 am »

A lynch vote is also 100% loss for the other player, so with your vote you already know if the other player has won or not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:17 am »

Might as well just do Systematically Make Others Lose again.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: January 04, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

I'd say go for it. I read a bit of the first one so far and the set-up seems rather interesting.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:01 am »

There is no point in a game where mafia doesn't have any difference from town apart from wincon. If scum doesn't know (or have) any teammates, any skill element is removed from the game. There was no point in Prince's Guard. There is no point in this game.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: January 04, 2013, 11:59:17 am »

For which game? If it's the random gamble one I have to agree. I find the political aspect of System... sort of intriguing.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: January 04, 2013, 12:04:41 pm »

There is no point in a game where mafia doesn't have any difference from town apart from wincon. If scum doesn't know (or have) any teammates, any skill element is removed from the game. There was no point in Prince's Guard. There is no point in this game.
That's not true.  In this game a mafia member is significantly different from a townie in that
a) they don't have a vote, and thus have to be careful to avoid committing
b) they know that the other person is town, and thus know exactly what needs to happen in order for them to win

These are both pretty big differences from a townie who has a vote and needs to work out what has to happen for them to win.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: January 04, 2013, 02:54:43 pm »

A lynch vote is also 100% loss for the other player, so with your vote you already know if the other player has won or not.
Actually, not quite. There's a 25% chance of you being scum, and with being scum, you cannot lynch the other person, making it a 100% loss for you. So, a lynch vote on the other person is a 75% chance loss for the other person, and a 75% chance for you (50% chance for both of you to lose, 25% for you to lose and opponent to win, 25% chance for you to win and opponent to lose), whereas a no lynch is slightly different.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: January 04, 2013, 03:10:25 pm »

That's pretty damn rigorous.
It hurts that it's not zero-sum though... :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: January 04, 2013, 04:04:02 pm »

Yeah, webadict's analysis shows why there's a 33% chance of there being two townies rather than a 50% chance.  Thus in the actual setup there's a 50/50 chance of your opponent being town/scum if you are a townie.

If you're scum then you shouldn't vote anything at all since that would tell your opponent you are scum.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:47 pm »

Yeah, webadict's analysis shows why there's a 33% chance of there being two townies rather than a 50% chance.  Thus in the actual setup there's a 50/50 chance of your opponent being town/scum if you are a townie.

If you're scum then you shouldn't vote anything at all since that would tell your opponent you are scum.
Well, that's another assumption I made incorrectly. If that's true, then there's a lot more and less calculations. It means that only one person has to vote to hammer.

Let's start again:
33% Both Town
33% You're Town
33% You're Scum

Assuming you're scum, you cannot vote or else you lose. Therefore, the trick is to convince your opponent to vote no lynch.
This ALSO works if you're Town. If your opponent is unable to vote, you win, and if he's Town, you also win.

The ultimate way to win is to get your opponent to no lynch.

Now, as for the zero sum, it still favors no lynching yourself if you're looking for an overall benefit.

You are scum and vote:
100% (-1, +1)

You vote NL:
50% (+1, +1)
50% (-1, +1)
Total (+0, +2)

You vote L:
50% (+1, -1)
50% (-1, -1)
Total (+0, -2)

If you always instantly lynch your opponent, regardless of alignment, you both equally lose points as time goes by. If you instantly no lynch, you slowly lose points, but he gains them back more rapidly. So, the optimum strategy is to take turns no lynching. (Technically, the optimum strategy is to do nothing and wait for the opponent, but that's not going to solve anything. Someone has to make the first move.)

Spoiler: Opponent Votes First (click to show/hide)

In actuality, it's 50% to win no matter what happens, excepting stupid things like voting first as scum.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: January 04, 2013, 05:32:02 pm »

Yeah, that's all true.  Although under the same logic we could all concede every game as scum and thus win the majority of our games (since there are fewer mafia members than townies).

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:06 pm »

I suppose. Anyway, it was a fun experience near the end. Very tense. Very Tense. Hopefully the next one plays out better.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: January 17, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »

Does anyone have any fun and exciting games to start?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 443