Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587320 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4365 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:33 pm »

Where? I've looked back in this thread and there hasn't been a declaration of intent since your own.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: March 11, 2013, 07:44:37 pm »

Where? I've looked back in this thread and there hasn't been a declaration of intent since your own.
It's in the New Player's Guide thread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: March 11, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »

No, that was a misunderstanding: Flying Dice didn't actually want to run the game:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, since then, Scelly9 and Tiruin have also put in a request.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:23 pm »

Yeah, my bad. it's Scelly9. I got confused for a bit because I was doing the votecount at the time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:00 pm »

I think we should talk about the newbie setup.

1. What is the current setup?
0-1 Cop
0-1 Doctor
5-7 Townies

0-1 Mafia Roleblocker
0-1 Mafia Godfather

2. When did we start using this setup?
The setup was first used in BM4, and as far as I can tell we haven't changed it since.  That means all beginner setups between BM4 and BM38 used this setup (I'm not including BM39 in this as it is unfinished).

3. What is the problem?
Spoiler: Data (click to show/hide)
Mafia wins too often.  We've had enough games to observe a clear pattern here, and it seems like town is only winning 1/6th of the time.

4. What can we learn from this?
- Town needs to be buffed in some way in BM.  Perhaps by guaranteeing a town PR or changing the setup to something more forgiving.
- There are more PRs in these games than you'd expect by chance I think, but I haven't properly checked this.
- I really miss dakarian, and I'm still angry about Neruz.
- PLEASE WRITE THE SETUP SOMEWHERE MODS

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: March 15, 2013, 11:21:46 pm »

Me too.  I really miss Dakarian and Neruz.

I personally think there shouldn't be a scum IC.  That would probably help a LOT.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:17 pm »

That would help the balance, but I think the scum IC is a pretty valuable teaching tool.  I'd rather try and switch up the roles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:18 pm »

I actually don't think so, because most of playing scum is about playing town well, and the rest of it is a bunch of fiddly bits you can only get through enormous amounts of experience.

I don't like switching roles because this should be a behavioral game, first and foremost, and something with more PRs is just too much.  If you take away some roles from the scum, okay, that's one thing, though I still think it's bad for balance (a PR with guarantees is a PR that's not being taught well).

Alternatively, we switch up BM to generally be easier, with the assumption that the learning isn't contained there and we start running an NSBM series for real.  I could get behind that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: March 16, 2013, 01:01:32 am »

For the record, there was a roleblocker in BM Trainwreck XXI.

What if the scum IC could only post in thread?  Or wasn't even told who the scum were?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: March 16, 2013, 01:08:16 am »

As best as I can recall, we started using that setup since it's the default beginner setup at Mafiascum, at least at the time we adopted it.

There are other problems endemic to BMs that explain the terrible town win rate, and they don't have to do with the setup. Poor player activity, frequent replacements, players not knowing what the hell they're doing, players being unable to tell the difference between noob and scum. If any other game had these problems the town win rate would probably take a turn for the shitter just as well.

If the setup is balanced not accounting for player skill then that's all we should care about.

I personally think there shouldn't be a scum IC.  That would probably help a LOT.

I agree with this. Scum ICs are able to give their players personal attention, attention that the playing ICs are unable to give the rest of playerbase. This is not a trivial advantage.

What if the scum IC could only post in thread?  Or wasn't even told who the scum were?

I don't see how that would work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: March 16, 2013, 01:22:55 am »

Yeah.  Having someone with you who can't really get jittery from in-game action is also an incredibly strong plus.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: March 16, 2013, 08:25:59 am »

It's a variant on an old mafiascum newbie setup C9+2, as far as I can tell:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=C9%2B2
This one was deemed overly mafia sided, and unlike ours it didn't have any mafia power roles.  That's why there was a switch to 2of4, which would always contain at least one town PR (although the doctor/townie setup is still mafia sided).

Basically if you run the statistics 2 mafia out of 9 players is actually pretty mafia sided, so some power roles are needed to even things out.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: March 16, 2013, 11:19:02 am »

I guess it's worth a try. Mafiascum has done this a lot more than we have.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

I'm going to support the notion that town simply losing more often isn't necessarily indicative of a problem. BMs are supposed to be educational - I don't think the concern should be how often each side wins, but rather how much and effectively the players learn.

Instead of the current setup, if we could get people willing to serve as an advisor for a group of maybe 3 players and provides personal advice. 

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: March 16, 2013, 02:58:02 pm »

I'm going to throw in with GlyphGryph and state that losing is actually the most educational experience possible. It teaches townies what sort of reads they can rely on, and which they can't. Being right doesn't teach this, and can often teach the wrong things. Having good scum is crucial for teaching good scumhunting.

If there's a problem, I think it's that our newbie retention rate is abysmal.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 443