Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585310 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4725 on: December 03, 2013, 05:48:18 pm »

BM Sprint is now an active game (at least its in N0)

Also add The Good the Bad and the Ugly to planned please.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: December 03, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »

So I'm thinking an interesting mechanic would be if a player chose to not vote at the end of the day, the next day their vote counts for double, and then if they continue to not vote when it comes to the lynch their vote counts triple, and so on. Basically every day you don't end the day voting, your vote gains power, and then if you use it you go back to only having a standard vote.

Any opinions on how this would affect play?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:28 pm »

So I'm thinking an interesting mechanic would be if a player chose to not vote at the end of the day, the next day their vote counts for double, and then if they continue to not vote when it comes to the lynch their vote counts triple, and so on. Basically every day you don't end the day voting, your vote gains power, and then if you use it you go back to only having a standard vote.

If I were a scum player I'd wait to vote until D3 and use my triple vote to lynch someone.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: December 03, 2013, 06:56:30 pm »

That's rather powerful, as Persus points out. Would work fine in a Vote Mafia set-up, though. Or perhaps a BYOR style game, since those tend to have higher power thresholds.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: December 03, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »

If I were a scum player I'd wait to vote until D3 and use my triple vote to lynch someone.
But vote saving would single you out as scum pretty quickly. Trying to go for a triple vote requires two days worth of not voting, and that will draw some attention.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:28 pm »

But vote saving would single you out as scum pretty quickly. Trying to go for a triple vote requires two days worth of not voting, and that will draw some attention.
So, instead, you would get everyone forcing people to vote, since withholding your vote gives you unnecessarily more power.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: December 03, 2013, 08:27:54 pm »

Pretty much, but that adds another dynamic into the game for people to read. Normally trying to force somebody to vote for the sake of voting isn't the most townie thing...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: December 03, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »

Pretty much, but that adds another dynamic into the game for people to read. Normally trying to force somebody to vote for the sake of voting isn't the most townie thing...
It also creates more dynamic Day game. And lylo becomes far more strenuous.

However, is there hammers? It could prove to be anti-Town.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: December 03, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »

I wouldn't have hammers in such a game personally...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:26 pm »

The game doesn't seem too bad then. You'll still want to balance it towards town, though.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: December 05, 2013, 07:00:07 pm »

A warning regarding any games I may be involved in: there is an absurdly powerful storm (wind, especially, saw plenty of places go dark from my window) going on. If I fail to post anywhere, it'll be due to this.

EDIT: Nevermind what I said above, internet connection and electricity in general were not affected.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:19:32 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: December 06, 2013, 04:12:20 pm »

I am reconsidering my opinion of very very short BMs.  They might be a good thing!  Though hopefully these won't be the only type of BM offered - I wasn't tempted as a never-played-before to join the sprint.  I think it would be helpful for the ICs of such games to mention that these are extremely short games, any players who like the game, but find it 'too short' or 'too quick' are going to probably really enjoy the less time restricted games - and that sprint BMs are purposefully 'super short' to make sure that players can learn what Mafia is like here fast, even if it's too fast.

Saying this because I think I might feel pretty frustrated if I had been a first time player in the sprint BM -  and I think hearing that would help me feel better about Mafia overall despite any feelings I had about it being 'way too short', 'way to rushed', and 'impossible for me or anyone to play under those conditions' - but I don't think I would have understood that fast that not all Mafia's played on a sprint timescale, so I should play further.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: December 06, 2013, 04:14:22 pm »

I am reconsidering my opinion of very very short BMs.  They might be a good thing!  Though hopefully these won't be the only type of BM offered - I wasn't tempted as a never-played-before to join the sprint.  I think it would be helpful for the ICs of such games to mention that these are extremely short games, any players who like the game, but find it 'too short' or 'too quick' are going to probably really enjoy the less time restricted games - and that sprint BMs are purposefully 'super short' to make sure that players can learn what Mafia is like here fast, even if it's too fast.

Saying this because I think I might feel pretty frustrated if I had been a first time player in the sprint BM -  and I think hearing that would help me feel better about Mafia overall despite any feelings I had about it being 'way too short', 'way to rushed', and 'impossible for me or anyone to play under those conditions' - but I don't think I would have understood that fast that not all Mafia's played on a sprint timescale, so I should play further.

I found it too short, but that's because I got nightkilled first night. :P

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: December 06, 2013, 04:27:49 pm »

*hugs and comforts*  We're not allowed to talk about games that are not finished yet, but Sprint BM is the shortest, fastest, most 'savage' in timesense sort of game I've ever seen here (I'm new, so I haven't seen a lot yet... but still).

Thing is, if you like Mafia but would rather play longer games then that, go for it - because -every- other game is longer than that as far as I know.

There's two games going on right now, BYOR12 and Paranormal 23.  You could offer to be a replacement in either of those if you wanted too, and of course BM44 won't be rushed and that will start right after a second IC person joins.  With school and college finals ending soon for many players, I suspect after next week we'll have someone eligible to join us step up.

So, ElePar, keep up hope!  There's lots of good, rich, satisfying Mafia in your future!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:13 pm »

*hugs and comforts*  We're not allowed to talk about games that are not finished yet, but Sprint BM is the shortest, fastest, most 'savage' in timesense sort of game I've ever seen here (I'm new, so I haven't seen a lot yet... but still).

Thing is, if you like Mafia but would rather play longer games then that, go for it - because -every- other game is longer than that as far as I know.

There's two games going on right now, BYOR12 and Paranormal 23.  You could offer to be a replacement in either of those if you wanted too, and of course BM44 won't be rushed and that will start right after a second IC person joins.  With school and college finals ending soon for many players, I suspect after next week we'll have someone eligible to join us step up.

So, ElePar, keep up hope!  There's lots of good, rich, satisfying Mafia in your future!

Ah. I figured complaining about dying would be fine, since it's not like my death was hidden or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 443