Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585315 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:42 am »

Well, webadict has checked over Horrible Role Mafia (might send him a more finalized set of roles at a later date).  It won't begin until at least after LCS Mafia, as I said.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:20 am »

As far as how to decide when a game can start signups...what do you guys think of that mod-IC system?  I'm worried about having a few of us decide what games are viable and which aren't. 

No. Just put it up to democracy in the way of people signing up to join the game; players can decide what to play and what not to play, as we've been doing for a while. If they don't think a game will be good, they won't join. If a new mod wants help, they can ask for it, but making it mandatory is just ridiculous.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:09 pm »

What I'm thinking though is the way to slow down the games being sent in.

I mean, will it work to have 7 or so active games running and a good 10 more in the signup phase all waiting their turn?  What happens when 5 of them get a full set of slots and then have to wait a month or more to be let in?  Once at least some of the players who INed get bored and forget about it?  Won't it be that much harder to decide when to join a game since you won't know if a game you signed up for will even start the same month?

There has to be a block.. something to slow the games down.  Just having the signups slow things down doesn't work, since that's what we have now.  Vector's idea is fine for the 'signups-to-active' stage but I we need something to slow down when a game goes into signups in the first place.

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Yeah, I'm worried about that too. Especially since we have some players, like forsaken1111 for Paranormal, who don't play a lot of the other games. I'm not sure it's fair to tell people that they don't get to play even though the game has enough players just because we want to put an artificial limit on the number of games running.

The best thing, honestly, would be for people to limit the number of games they are in to a reasonable number. If you think your participation in a game is going to suffer because you're in a bunch of others, don't sign up for any new games until the ones you're in either finish or you die. After all, it's not number of games per se that is causing the problem with games dying to inactivity, it's the number of people who join games and then don't do much in them.

Of course, the sheer number of games people are trying to start is its own problem, since lots of good ideas never get enough players to start.

Hmmm...what about this? We add in another step, so we have Active Games, Games in Sign-up, and Pending games that are in the rules discussion phase. If mods will wait a bit before putting games into the sign-up queue, that'll slow down the sheer number of games to a more manageable group. Any game in the sign-up phase can start as soon as it's full, and people can watch the list to see when active games end so they can move up to the sign-up phase from the queue (which can be first-come first-serve).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:49 pm »

I like that setup.  It means everyone can have their ideas put in the open via the discussion phase and get an idea of how popular it'll be AND get help in tweaks.

We can put the hard coded limit on which games can get into the signup phase, but once there the game can start as soon as it fills up.

hehe.. it's now to the point where I'd like to have a subforum in here.  Then we can have this place purely for the games themselves and another subforum for game discussion.  That way, they don't compete with each other for the front spot.

Well, for now, split the sections up: any game in Sign-up right now can just go ahead and finish signing up and gathering people.  Games still in Discussion will have to wait until some of the other games finish up.

Hmm, speaking about the front page:  there's 20 threads that can show on the front page. 

1 is the stickied tutorial. 
2 more are the Threshold list an Karma Board.

Then we have 8 active regular games and 2 beginner's mafias.

That's 13 threads on the front page right there.  If we drop the 'gametypes' thread and just let people run separate Discussion threads on their games instead, we can have 7 discussion threads all sorting together which games they want to run.

So how does that sound?  8 games that are active or in signups, 7 threads of discussion along with the Karma and Threshold threads to keep everything in line?

Only trick is how to determine when a game InDiscussion can move on to Signups?
I KNEW IT!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32:41 pm »

Well what about games without discussion phases? I'm mainly thinking of bastard mod games, where discussing things would have to be extremely limited (so as to not ruin any secrets that a game might have) to the point of death.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2009, 08:58:30 pm »

Well, a bastard mod has to remain hidden.  BUT some discussion can be added:

1. Teaser discussion.. explain just enough (usually what what the players learn from the start anyway) to get people interested.  For example, Kill Webadict Now had a good bit of discussion in various threads that went like this:

"Webadict is so unkillable, we could make a game JUST to kill him and he'll still get away"

"well, they'll just kill me no matter what."

"And if it's a Bastard Mod?"

2. If wanted/needed, a request from one or two others to see the setup so they can critique for balance/playability/fun. (optional)

3. Generate people wanting to play.  That way you can start the startup portion without ending up with only 2 people joining :/.
I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2009, 09:38:35 pm »

Some of the games in the planning stages look like they've been abandoned. I think it might be nice to ask some of the hosts of some of the really old planned games if they're still prepared to start them. I just think the list of planned games might be a bit longer than it really should be.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2009, 03:39:53 pm »

Well, the problem is the bottleneck we just created.  Many of those planned games came up before we started asking for some of the games to be delayed, thus they ended up in limbo.  We're still about 2 games shy of being able to allow any of them up.  It doesn't help that all of the active games are on Sleep mode thanks to the holiday (in case you wondered why they all stalled.  Don't expect them to recover until monday btw)

As for the games on the planned list:

• Bastard(perhaps) Mod
- 8 players.  It can actually run RIGHT NOW.
  • One Lynch Mafia
- 6 players.  Another that can start NOW.
  • Red Vs Blue Election Mafia
- This one looks pretty dead.
  • Speed Mafia
- 3 people.  May recover once Josh prods it back up.
  • Paranormal 12
- 13 people, ready to start.
[/list]

The rest are actually in discussion mode or preparation: 

Aztec, Supernatural and Horrible Role do need to be put into DISCUSSION threads so that a full form game can be made. Aztec has some ideas to be fleshed out.  Horrible needs ideas on possible roles unless leaf is already ready with them now.  Supernatural has role ideas and concept but is in serious need of balancing.

My BYOR is going to be standard so I just need the green light for signups.  Werewolf is also sounding standard and, thus, pretty much ready. Zai claims that his Mafia, though a semi-bastard, is also about ready for the green light. 

@Meph

Create 3 lists of games if you can:

1. Active games.  Include both running games and games in signup.  We'll just let a game with full signups go ahead and play.  Bastard/OneLynch/Paranormal can go ahead when they want to and once they make sure everyone that wants to play does play.  Josh needs to be asked if he wants to keep trying on Speed mafia but if he does he can go ahead and be active.  Red and Blue needs to be dropped or put into Development.

2. Games in Que.  Fully made games ready for signups but waiting for other games to finish.  BYOR, Werewolf, and Zai's Mafia would go here, waiting for the other games to end.  If Leaf is done making his roles then Horrible would go here too.

3. Games in Development.  Games that people want to run but still need to develop, talk about and/or check to see if people are interested.  Aztec, Supernatural, and my new King of the Mafia would fit here.  So would Horrible if Leaf isn't done yet.

As far as how games go from one to the other, all games start on Development (whether they have a thread or not) and go into Que when the host feels that it's ready to run.  Of course, that means, Standard games will get on que faster than others, though a Standard game should still be checked for popularity.  For now we'll just let the host decide rather than have some drawn out acceptance process.

If we're going to do the "# of players max" deal then we need to list how many players are slotted for each of the Active games and how many max we'll want.  Then, as openings show up, games in que can move to Active.

Only issue is what game in que will go into Active first.  I'm almost tempted to suggest that poll again, made to allow people to vote multiple games, to show interest.  When a slot opens, any game in que who's votes match or exceed it's requested # of players will start, with first come-first served in effect.  Thus by the time the game had signups up, it'll not only be fully made but also KNOW it'll have folks who want to play.  If a game sits in que over and over because it can't get enough votes of interest then it probably wouldn't have enough interested people singing up either.
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »

Okay, first I need some help with Aztec Mafia, to make sure the roles are fleshed out.

Aztec Tribesman/woman
You are part of the great Aztec Civilization. However, you realize that this civilization is starting to crumble! Help bring about the underminers of this great civilization.

Victory
Aztec Win

Active Powers
None

Passive Powers
None

Aztec Taxer
You are an Aztec Taxer. You are an obnoxious, selfish person, who takes money from everyone. While you are getting taxes, you can tell what they are.
Active Power
Tax!-You walk to a player's hut every night, and are able to tell if they are a Commoner, Noble, or Spaniard by how much they give you.
Passive Powers
Hated-You are hated by most of everyone! It takes one less vote to lynch you.

Aztec Priest
You are a beloved leader of the Aztec religion. You must prevent the fall of the civilization and keep the Azetcs within your faith!
-Ritual Priest
Active Powers
Mass Sacrificial Ritual-...And the best way to keep their faith together is sacrifices! LOTS OF THEM.  You may sacrifice up to two players, however, you MUST sacrifice at least one a day. Each sacrifice pleases a god, and they will do something spectacular in return.
Passive Powers
Noble-To a Taxer, you will appear as a Noble

-Death Priest

Active Powers
Sacrifice-You may sacrifice a player. This sacrifice will have a different  effect, instead of a normal Sacrifice Power.

Passive Powers
Commune with the Dead-You get to chat with the dead.
Noble

Aztec High Priest
You are the High Priest, highest in the gods' favor.
Active Powers
Honored Sacrifice-This sacrifice will have some sort of extra benefit, like effecting multiple players. Beware, because if you do not sacrifice, the consequences may effect multiple people.
Passive Powers
Noble

i will finish later.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 05:47:35 pm by Org »

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »

Comments in Bold and underlined

Okay, first I need some help with Aztec Mafia, to make sure the roles are fleshed out.

Aztec Tribesman/woman
You are part of the great Aztec Civilization. However, you realize that this civilization is starting to crumble! Help bring about the underminers of this great civilization.

Victory
Aztec Win

Active Powers
None

Passive Powers
None

Aztec Taxer
You are an Aztec Taxer. You are an obnoxious, selfish person, who takes money from everyone. While you are getting taxes, you can tell what they are.
Active Power
Tax!-You walk to a player's hut every night, and are able to tell if they are a Commoner, Noble, or Spaniard by how much they give you.
Passive Powers

Cop with a weakness.  That's just plain old painful.  I like it.

Tweak: Hated has to fade away at lylo.  Otherwise, the scum can just gangkill on one far too easily.

Aztec Priest
You are a beloved leader of the Aztec religion. You must prevent the fall of the civilization and keep the Azetcs within your faith!
-Ritual Priest
Active Powers
Mass Sacrificial Ritual-...And the best way to keep their faith together is sacrifices! LOTS OF THEM.  You may sacrifice up to two players, however, you MUST sacrifice at least one a day. Each sacrifice pleases a god, and they will do something spectacular in return.

OHH, Now I see it.  It's an Overeager Vigilante with a bonus.  I like.  I like a lot.  Curious as to what could make killing 2 people worthwhile.

Passive Powers

-Death Priest

Active Powers
Sacrifice-You may sacrifice a player. This sacrifice will have a different  effect, instead of a normal Sacrifice Power.

Passive Powers
Noble

So this one is a normal Vig (noting the 'may' rather than 'must') with an effect.  It also has medium powers.  That right there might be tricky to balance since the killing+dead chatting alone is pretty pro-town.

Aztec High Priest
Active Powers
Honored Sacrifice-This sacrifice will have some sort of extra benefit, like effecting multiple players. Beware, because if you do not sacrifice, the consequences may effect multiple people.
Passive Powers
Noble

Another Overeager Vig with a multiple player effect.  Oh yes, a very high killing game here.  hmm.. does that mean that a roleblocker blocking the High or Ritual Priest counts as a 'not kill' and thus cause Very Bad Things to happen?  I hope so :D

i will finish later.

Right now you have a VERY vig happy game, which, as you said, is the point.  Vigs are funny creatures: they are technically protown but can mess up the town as well.  Make him overeager and it's very much a close bet of pro and anti townness. 

Very interested to see how the rest will go.
I KNEW IT!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »

First, OL is just wanting more people. I'd like it to be the full 9 players I wanted.

Second, another game I'm going to be doing after OL, Second Chance is entering development. Basically, all the roles are reviving of some kind, but I'll make it open setup.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2009, 09:02:24 pm »

Aztec Tribesman/woman
Victory
Aztec Win
Active Powers
None
Passive Powers
None

Aztec Taxer
Active Power
Passive Powers

Aztec Priest
ALL have
Victory
Aztec Win

-Ritual Priest
Active Powers
Passive Powers

-Death Priest

Active Powers

Passive Powers
Noble

Aztec High Priest
Victory
Aztec Win
Active Powers
Passive Powers
Noble

Aztec Artifact Bearer
This Aztec holds a sacred relic of the Aztec religion. Dont let the greedy Spaniards take it!
Victory
Aztec Win
Artifact Keeper
Active Powers
None
Passive Powers
None

His Artifact has a special ability.

Aztec Celebrator
You are a Festival Celebrator! You dance and stuff.
Victory
Aztec Win
Active Powers
Dance!-You dance. It roleblocks someone.
Passive Power
None

Spaniard
You are one of the Spaniards, come to get the Aztec's gold.
Victory
Spaniard Win
Active Power
None
Passive Power
None

Traitor Aztec
You betray the Aztecs to join the winning team.
Victory Condition
Spaniard Win
Active Power
None
Passive Power
Aztec-You will look like a Commoner on inspection.

Hernando Cortes
You are leader of the Spaniards.
Victory
Spaniard Win
Active Powers
None
Passive Powers
Noble-You will look like a Noble on inspect.
Steel Armor-You are immune to night kills.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:43 pm »

One thing about the Spaniard leader, I would do something about that kill-immune ability.

Any vig will be able to identify the leader.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »

You mean, need a kill-immune townie for them to fakeclaim.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 443