Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 109885 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - Updated First Post (02/05/11)
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

Hmm... Thanks for comments. Posting on mobile so I have to be quick. Clearly the audio needs some kind of fix. As for first-person, I was referring to character rather than visual perspective, but I can see where it would be confusing.

That said, is the video awful to the point where I should just scrap it and start over?

I don't know of the quality kickstarter asks for.

Certainly some scenes need to be framed better but I am not sure if that much effort is needed.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2011, 03:58:33 pm »

I don't know about scrapping it, but I agree that the video should have the quality upped a notch or two.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2011, 04:00:54 pm »

I'd agree with most of what's been said. The fade to black-and-white looks worse than a straight fade from image to image would, the sound-quality shifts are distracting, and the first-person comment through me off. Also, the way the line "...allow the player to suspend disbelief in the same way that a great fantasy novel allows the reader to suspend disbelief" is spoken sounds kind of awkward or redundant. To me, anyway.

That's mostly just nitpickles though, overall it's pretty respectable-looking.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »

And yeah, change the transitions.

And did you just say first-person? Isn't the game going to be bird-view roguelike style? ???

The visuals aren't, but the gameplay is first person, i.e., you are controlling yourself, so to speak.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »

Maybe I'll just scrap this version and reshoot, then. It would have been awesome to be able to devote a solid six months or so to coding this and getting something playable and enjoyable out, but perhaps it just isn't the right time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 12, 2011, 11:05:20 pm »

Maybe I'll just scrap this version and reshoot, then. It would have been awesome to be able to devote a solid six months or so to coding this and getting something playable and enjoyable out, but perhaps it just isn't the right time.

It was a nice first attempt and by all means it was passable just not high grade material.

If you would like I could give you an in depth analysis with a play by play critique.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 13, 2011, 06:35:33 am »

Thanks, feel free to PM it to me. I think a lot of the problems stem from the quality of the recording equipment, but that can be solved just by getting a better camera and a lapel mic or something to record with. That, and/or I think next time I won't try to mess around with nice-looking outdoor scenes and instead just keep it all indoors for a more controllable environment.

At any rate, I will probably be absent for the next 1-2 weeks or so due to moving.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 13, 2011, 08:54:09 am »

As an audio engineer in training, I would recommend recording your audio separate from your video, and to rent a clean-sounding boom mic if at all possible. It will take a little more work, and more than one friend to operate the equipment, but it's going to pay off in the long run quality-wise.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »

Willfor- thanks, but the quality probably doesn't need to be THAT good for this sort of thing (most other Kickstarter videos seem to be recorded with webcams or Flip UltraHD-type cameras and such). As long as it's presentable I don't think it needs to be cinema-quality or anything like that; the point is just to get the message across to the audience, not wow them with filming skills.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:03 pm »

Well, I am leaning rather heavily towards two possible courses of action at this point:

1. Adjust the video to make it as decent as possible, because... what the heck, the worst that can happen is failure, and it's just supposed to relay a message. Or

2. Say 'screw it all' and just develop very slowly at my own pace without worrying about this for the forseeable future, and swear off the whole thing other than as a private hobby until it's playable.

Rather inclined to go with 2, but I'll do some thinking over the next couple of weeks while I'm moving.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #520 on: May 16, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »

Do what you think is best for you.

If you were to continue down the road of announcing it, though, I'd recommend not making concrete statements until you actually get to a certain point.  The donation and recognition process, for example, may be completely different further down the road than how you see it now, and some people might find issue with that.  Just focus on how the game plays and how it's supposed to be awesome, because that's what most people are going to be interested in (For now).  Make more of a Tech demo, explain the future features and such.

And smile a little, man! :D
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 17, 2011, 12:10:24 am »

Great job so far, and I had a suggestion.
As you can worship the gods, why not have the ability to go TO the gods.
It's basically a second generated world, but, with different regions, or dominions, which house the gods.

This place can only be reached through some incredibly hard manner, and/or put your body in the real world through incredible amounts of stress.

Going to the gods, and, say, killing one and taking it's place, means you get lots more followers, or some good loot or something.
You could also piss off other cults by doing so.

Just an idea, and unless this has been completely ruled out, then just disregard this ^^

Good luck!
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 17, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »

Singularity - excellent suggestion! I will definitely keep that in mind as a real possibility. :)

Just to make a quick update for everyone, I am successfully back in Michigan and searching for an apartment. Haven't picked one so far, but it shouldn't take *too* long. I also have access to my desktop again, which is a blessing (and cuts worldgen testing time in half or less).

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 17, 2011, 11:24:58 pm »

I am having a massive nerd boner whenever you update, LD.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2011, 01:24:47 am »

I am having a massive nerd boner whenever you update, LD.

I wouldn't call it that, but nevertheless, same here.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 68