Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110324 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - Updated First Post (02/05/11)
« Reply #525 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:31 am »

I am having a massive nerd boner whenever you update, LD.

I wouldn't call it that, but nevertheless, same here.

Would you call it, getting engourged on his genius?

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 18, 2011, 10:58:05 am »

I have to ask, will you be able to raise armies and send them into religious crusades? And if so:

1: Will you god have an influence on what kind of troops you get?

2: Will you have any input into how they are equipped?

3: Can you bolster your forces with demons and the like?

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:16 pm »

Oh my god. I come in here 5 months and 15 pages later, and it's gotten SO MUCH BETTER. Keep up the good work, LD!
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #528 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:18 pm »

Thanks! I am on a self-imposed coding hiatus at the moment, although I'll pick things back up fairly soon (I'm getting sick of the activities I've been using to distract myself in the meantime). The break was definitely needed, though. It's not the first time in the project's lifespan that I've had to step away for a bit of a sanity check, though, and there's no way I'll leave development alone permanently.

@moghopper: Yes, you will. To answer your other three questions:

1. Yes, although probably not in quite the way you're thinking. I want each game to have 'classes' procedurally generated in the same way that everything else is. What I mean by this is that just because civilization A and civilization B both worship the same god does not mean that they will have the same troop classes. Rather, their troops/troop trees will probably share some aesthetic values, skill specializations, and moral inclinations based upon the kinds of skills their god tends to nurture, but the race/nationality should also have a major impact. And that only covers professional troops. When you're recruiting for a religion, there are no limits on the types of people you can throw together into some kind of motley crew of destruction or peace or... whatever.

2. You'll have complete control over what your own troops use, although to save the sanity of everyone who doesn't like intense micromanagement, they'll probably start with default sets/preferences.

3. 'Demons and the like' will definitely be in the game, and are currently a placeholder under the 'Spirit Gen' bit of worldgen that takes place after Creature Gen. I haven't decided exactly what role they'll fulfill yet, but I want them to be pretty varied - ranging from minor/annoying sprites and nuisances to demi-gods capable of ascending to godhood in their own right. Tolkien's Maia would probably be a pretty good comparison.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »

*Wipes forehead*

I was worried this was cancelled for a bit there.

Like most creative projects.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:16 pm »

I think that spirits should be occasionally helpful if you meet the right conditions. It'd always be a gamble, but it could really work out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 01, 2011, 11:38:58 pm »

Sanity checks are definitely a good thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 12, 2011, 08:47:28 am »

Just a quick update. I've been doing some menial coding to get back into the swing of things; you can now sort the bestiary in the World Atlas according to several categories (creature size, biome, sphere, nation, region).

Having pretty much finished that off, I think I'll try to attack creature spread code again. I may or may not make much progress this week, since I'm working doubles almost every day and have been extremely sleep-deprived more often than not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 12, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »

Still watching this Dullard.

Don't work too hard, remember that you come first.

Scintillescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 13, 2011, 09:11:00 am »

Just noticed this project and I hope it goes well, Lord Dullard :D!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:53 pm »

This looks neat.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 28, 2011, 10:03:56 pm »

This is one of the most promising projects i've seen since dwarf fortress. Keep up the good work!
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 08, 2011, 08:18:59 am »

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Always encouraging to hear. :)

Today I finished the skeletal version of the creature spread code. Since it's functional as-is, I now just have to adjust it to take into account how often creatures reproduce and how long their gestation/incubation period is, the size of their litter/clutch, how long the creatures live and how long they're considered reproductively viable, predation in the area, food sources... and so forth.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 08, 2011, 08:34:10 am »

I feared this was dead, it's great news that you're still working on this - and making serious progress. What's the next thing after creature spreading?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:57 am »

Actual gameplay and world exploration. Ideally I'd like to integrate creature development with national/historical development so that various creatures (as individuals and entire species) would be wrapped up in legends, national symbols/icons, religious symbolism, and in-game conversation. However, I think all of that is going to require my working on more areas of the game first, and I don't want to delay world exploration any longer.

I figure at the very least the player will be able to wander around a procedurally generated (and hopefully interesting to look at) world, interact with procedurally generated/unique creatures (even if they're not completely fleshed out yet), and do some basic things like building, harvesting resources and planting crops, recruiting followers (not that cities are in place yet, but I may add sentient wanderers/adventurers just to test out recruiting), and actually generating the PC itself, of course. Mostly I want to get to work on some of the stuff that will give potential players something to do, along with incentive to give feedback and become part of the creative process.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 68