Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110140 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - New Videos Added to Topic/Devblog
« Reply #750 on: March 06, 2012, 07:58:20 pm »

Okay, guys - here's part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_6fh8ieys&feature=youtu.be

Keep in mind, this is NOT meant to be Kickstarter-quality stuff (I didn't recite what I was saying at all, so there are lots of 'ums' and pauses for thought).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 06, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »

Ohhh goodness I love the music

It REALLY takes me back and is amazingly fantastic and creepy at the same time. Giving the impression of traversing a harsh and dangerous world. Give my kudos to the guy who does your music.

Unlike the constant "Pixie dust" anthems I get from other roguelikes that try (which isn't bad, but I consider Cult better).

Also curse the law of Next page amnesia!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »

Man, that main game splash screen is just awesome. Simple, bold and sets the tone along with the cool looking font. Well done.

How do you plan to make procedural generation work with a tileset? I think we sort of had this discussion a while back.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:26 pm »

Man, that main game splash screen is just awesome. Simple, bold and sets the tone along with the cool looking font. Well done.

How do you plan to make procedural generation work with a tileset? I think we sort of had this discussion a while back.

I have some thoughts; I think I want to start off with a variety of basic body types, then procedurally 'add on' limbs and other body parts as the creature is generated. That would probably be pretty tough when you're trying to fit them into a 10x10 font set, but if I hire an artist, it's likely that I'll have them redo the world tiles too, so the tile size may end up getting larger (maybe doubling).

But really, I'll have to talk it over with whoever the artist ends up being. Alternatively I could do it myself, although that would take away from time I could be spending on coding the actual game, and the product would be inferior, since I'm inexperienced and generally just not great at anything too artistically fancy.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cult - Development Preview Videos Added
« Reply #755 on: March 06, 2012, 09:42:46 pm »

I could be spending on coding the actual game, and the product would be inferior, since I'm inexperienced and generally just not great at anything too artistically fancy.

Says the guy who made that gorgeous ascii world and title screen ;)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:01 pm »

Just a thought about naming, but what if regions are named only a civilization is on/has reached them? I bet a player would feel awesome discovering and naming an unnamed region.
Could also bring up a interesting diplomatic situation where two civs dispute the name of the region because they both reside on it...

It's looking good so far, though, and I love the new world generator!

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #757 on: March 06, 2012, 10:49:32 pm »

Ohhh goodness I love the music

It REALLY takes me back and is amazingly fantastic and creepy at the same time. Giving the impression of traversing a harsh and dangerous world. Give my kudos to the guy who does your music.

Unlike the constant "Pixie dust" anthems I get from other roguelikes that try (which isn't bad, but I consider Cult better).

Also curse the law of Next page amnesia!

Thanks so much!!  Next on the list are combat anthems; it's time to get HEAVY.
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:08 pm »

That was a fun watch.  Pretty impressive!

Also, those are some of the best looking trees I've ever seen in a roguelike.   :o
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:49 am »

This looks great, and I really should start posting encouraging posts without having to point out flaws. But I noticed a flaw.
There is, at one point in the map, a place where ice and desert connect (first video, 4:48). I'm guessing the ice is "cold - dry" and the desert is "hot - dry" or something? Anyway, to make it more realistic, there should be a "medium - dry" rock desert inbetween. The same goes for forests bordering on ice, right now it looks like "ice, ice, ice, jungle" without taiga/tundra inbetween.

Apart from that, it's a promising start for a game that has the potential to be brilliant. Please, for the love of all that is holy in your life, don't abandon it ever.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:27 am »

Hm - thanks, Eagle, I'll try to add some more variation in between the polar areas and the temperate zones. It should be fairly easy to create a 'tundra line' that'll eliminate tree growth after a certain point and up until the forest changes to coniferous-only. I probably should work on differentiating the various types of desert (there are five of them, according to wikipedia). Then again, I don't want to get too crazy with that stuff until I'm done with regional terrain, since adding even *more* to worldgen will just make everything else take longer at this point.

Update:
I have the clouds (both on the world and regional maps) moving WAY faster now. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before, but I was interpolating the colors of *every* tile on the grid, instead of skipping tiles in which the color being interpolated to and from are the same (including the tiles with no clouds/cloud shadows at all, which was the bulk of the processing, since it still takes processing cycles to interpolate from one color to itself). At any rate, they're much more zippy and smooth-looking now, hurrah!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:12:33 am by Lord Dullard »

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #761 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

Every update you make seems to blow me away; keep up the great work man!
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 07, 2012, 09:55:30 am »

No problem, the discussion we had about this already is buried several pages back, I think. Besides, I really should eventually diversify deserts a bit; I do need to add rocky deserts and mesas and interesting stuff like that to them, but it'll have to wait until I'm done getting the types of regional terrain I've already included fleshed out.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 68