Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120696 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2010, 02:15:02 pm »

But you like 8^U ?
I have no idea what that means. Googlefu also failed me. It looks to me like a blowjob-ready emoticon.

Oh well, feel free to post any game hate/stupidity related comics here. I'd like to see the one you mentioned.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:25 pm »

You've obviously not read or played enough ShadowRun.
Saying that to a shadowrun fan is mean. :(

Not the way I meant it.
Of course, I had no way of knowing either.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2010, 02:34:21 pm »

B^U or 8^U is the generic internet mocking of Buckley's  CAD art, because that's how he draws the sideview of every single one of his characters.

Also, he writes too much, explains his own jokes, and is a generically unfunny asshole aiming to cash in from gamers more so than fredchan of megatokyo from wannabe otaku weeaboos.

I'd post that VGcats CAD mocking comic but I can't from my phone that captures everything unfunny about CAD and makes it funny.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 26, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »

Well there's this, which ties into one of the big complaints on here.

Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:07 pm »

Notice he's talking to a literal Strawman.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2010, 03:22:36 pm »

Notice he's talking to a literal Strawman.

That particular argument really is a strawman though.  If I'm not willing to pay for a game its unlikely I'm actually going to play it.  I might torrent it and try it out, and rarely I'll find something that is worth the price tag (at which point I buy it).  Most of the time I find things that weren't worth the time it took to torrent.

Demos simply aren't offered any more, and if they are, they rarely showcase a portion of the game worth playing, or are so short you go "that was it?" and don't even consider paying for the full version: you weren't hooked.

DRM on the other hand is a joke.  It doesn't matter what the corpers do, it will be cracked, pirated, and distributed to the masses (digital content is like that: if you can read it you can copy it, which of course, goes for printed books too--its just so time consuming to manually a 400 page book by hand that most people won't bother, but fake manuscripts do exist).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:26:33 pm by Draco18s »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »

Speaking of DRM and jokes. Borderlands was updated yesterday. Before Steam could finish my update, my RSS feeds beeped out an updated crack with online gameplay enabled.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2010, 08:25:36 am »

Well there's this, which ties into one of the big complaints on here.

Haha. The clearest thing that comic shows is that moral dispute with someone unconcerned with the morality of the action in question is fruitless.

One game I've been disappointed with in many ways is MW2. Best-selling game in history, second-biggest grossing media item in history...

Yet they dropped the ball in so many ways. Their base programming is set to enable all kinds of amazing things, but they limited the options tremedously in all forms of multiplayer (not just online) and prevented all modding. I'd love to see them actually make use of all of the weapon options and effects they programmed. A little bit more care and variety in the attachments would give the game so much more credibility and play value.

Questions for the programmers that seem to come up naturally after a few hours with the game:
So your programming includes all of the basic elements for multiple varieties and models of several guns, and you even include some of them in the single-player missions. Why not use what you've programmed and include them all in mainstream play?
So this weapon comes with certain built-in "attachments", why not reflect that in "Create A Class"?
So you programmed a real laser designator system including spectral effects on smoke, ambients and particulates. Why not utilize that with projection red dot sights?
So you included a few near-realistic varieties of certain attachments to reflect the weapons' different actual available equipment, why not program them properly to match the real thing?

I think all of these decisions were made to create "balanced competitive gameplay", but standardizing everything has really just left the gameplay bland. Why do all of the same attachments come on all of the weapons in a class when some weapons have very profound effective and ineffective possibilities?

It just seems rushed and hackneyed. They could have done so much better...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2010, 12:27:25 pm »

Couldn't agree with you more architect. Theres so much more they coudlve done with MW2, but they didn't want to strey too far from the success of the first one, so they pretty much made the same game again, with minor tweaks and additions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »

Why fix what isn't broken?  A few years and a few billion dollars isn't exactly something you want to gamble with.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »

Why fix what isn't broken?  A few years and a few billion dollars isn't exactly something you want to gamble with.

I think that he was talking from his perspective, not the shareholders' perspective.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:57 pm »

They dont have to seriuosly re-do the the game. But they couldve at least added more in. MW2 only has a few extra guns/perks/etc compared to the first one. I wouldve liked to have seen all the ones from MW1, and then an equal number of new ones.

Same goes for the maps (another problem with modern games) Why not include all the maps from MW1, and then the new ones for two? Its pretty much the same engine, im sure porting them over wouldn't have taken much work at all. But of course they might want to sell them as DLC down the line...  ::)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »

If there's one thing that gets me into a huff about modern games, it's DLC.  I already bought the game, I don't want to pay more for extra stuff.  If you absolutely have to do it, stuff it all into an expansion pack and sell it later.  Dragon Age: Origins had DLC on release.  Bioware says they weren't doing it to dick people out of their money, and I sort of believe them.  Regardless, I don't want to buy a game and find out that I have to pay extra for more stuff.  That kind of stuff is the reason I don't play MMORPGs anymore.
Shoes...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 27, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »

Yeah DLC is horrible. The dragonage stuff especially since there was a WHOLE CHARACTER as DLC.

Army of 2 two had a whole gamemode as DLC, if i remember correctly, EA loves this stuff it seems. ¬_¬

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2010, 01:38:02 pm »

*O look 5 more minutes of gameplay and a new skin for a character! 50$ please*
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 66