Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120194 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:49 pm »

They should remake the old Nintendo games with the new graphics.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:05 pm »

They should remake the old Nintendo games with the new graphics.

Ever heard of the Gamecube/Nintendo Wii?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »

You don't really have to do something new for it to be good anyway. There are a lot of ways to beat a dead dog the good way. The problem is that the devs are (being forced) doing it the wrong way. It's going towards more casual, less thinking, more shiny. I'm sorry, but it makes me feel the newer generations are being treated like dumbshit and of course, seems like a lot of them are, since they are loving it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2010, 12:22:05 am »

Man, seeing arguments about how modern games are repetitive and shiny...well, I've been playing a lot of emulated NES games, and no, just no.  There were a lot of awful sports games.  There were TONS AND TONS of awful platformers, and nearly as many bad shmups.  And that's AFTER they got filtered through the import sieve.

One very important thing to consider about old console games vs. new console games:  Japan used to be the primary market.  Games were developed in Japan, and ported if they were successful and didn't suck.  Why did the Japanese "Mario 2" stay in Japan, and why did Doki Doki Panic get renamed to US Mario 2?  Because the original Mario 2 was barely a different game at all, and Doki Doki Panic was one of the best games in its genre at the time.  Why was US "Final Fantasy 2" the Japanese "Final Fantasy 4"?  Because FFJ2 and FFJ3 WERE NOT VERY GOOD GAMES.  They weren't.  Lots of bad Japanese games never saw our shores, and primarily-US companies couldn't make up the volume.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 09, 2010, 10:29:47 am »

There are plenty of ways to make old games better. Take Zelda Ocarina of time, you could totally copy that game onto an Xbox version with superior graphics and smoother controls.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 09, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »

Uh-huh. There were efforts like that. Ever heard of Conker: Live and Reloaded on the X-Box? Graphically, it was superior to the N64 original. And they missed the whole point of Conker's Bad Fur Day by adding censoring.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 09, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »

A good example of a remake is Metroid Zero Mission. Taking the rather bad original Metroid and turning it into an amazing remake that rivals Super Metroid in how great it is. Then you have reworked physics to make bomb jumping and wall jumping easier, and the Shinespark taking no health makes using it everywhere planned for by the developers.
 I will admit the bit at the end is long and kinda terrible. Still, it feels like a good Metroid game.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2010, 02:20:48 pm »

Talking about the dumb generation...

So, some console tards (sorry) played COD6 on a PC today.
They complained that the controls were like so hard and you have to press multiple buttons at the same time.

OH MY FUCKING GOD.
WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE AVERAGE INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUAL?!

Arghh, I mean, their heads would explode by merely looking at something even somewhat sophisticated like Civilization!
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »

Press multiple buttons at the same time...  yeah, that's, like, horrendously difficult.

Give credit where it's due though, a game on Sega Genesis called Primal Rage had several special moves (it's a fighting game) that require more keys pressed simultaneously than a modern keyboard can handle.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:15 pm »

They were overwhelmed by the task to run diagonally, jump and aim at the same time.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2010, 02:31:46 pm »

Bwaha. Yeah, that's seriously messed up. I can't imagine them trying to play Edge of Chaos or Echelon then. Lateral thrust+roll+pitch+ventral thrust+countermeasures+trying to figure out how to aim at something flying behind you while avoiding missiles and trying not to crash into a canyon wall, and that's just the first mission of Echelon. I can imagine that a dual-analog gamepad might've helped with the number of fingers required, since I recently started playing N64 games like Wipeout, but really, that's not the kind of multitasking requirement that should be complained about.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:34:07 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 09, 2010, 03:05:44 pm »

It's called editing the hotkeys  ::)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 09, 2010, 03:12:26 pm »

Hm, in more news about modern games:  The good news is, Valve is going Mac compatible.  The bad news is, they're going for full simultaneous release on PC, Mac and Xbox360.  So brace yourself for consolized versions of Valve games on PC and Mac.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 09, 2010, 03:14:28 pm »

Wasnt the orange box released simultanious on PC and 360?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »

Yep, and Episode 2 was clearly consolized.  Not much, but it was a start, so it's not unlikely they'll continue the trend with future games.  Portal at least is simple enough that it didn't really need any dumbing down, but ep 2 showed cracks in Valve's respect for computer gamers.  I just hope they don't get bigger.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 66