Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120184 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

I think this represents very well what MMOs are right now. I really need to get back to making games. *sigh*

Meanwhile, I still have Wizardry 8 here, I was wondering if I should reinstall it and have some fun.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:03 pm »

I think this represents very well what MMOs are right now. I really need to get back to making games. *sigh*

I couldn't even figure out the interface.  It;s like "WELCOME TO GLODFRAKK: YOU ARE AN EXPLORERER! :D"

Meanwhile, I still have Wizardry 8 here, I was wondering if I should reinstall it and have some fun.

I've been meaning--and attempted once--to play through Wizardry 6 and then 7 so I could have played the full trilogy with one set of characters.  But I never finished; stats were too random and you have to have practically everything max on every character to really succeed.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 18, 2010, 11:57:58 pm »

I don't have the time to read this entire thread, so bear with me if I'm repeating anything...

Going to go back in time a tad because I feel the need to mention this...
hopefully not take 10gb to install. That's insane.
In the era of static and contraband terabyte hard drives, 10GB is nothing.
Seriously, I did some math on this subject recently, if you're anal-retentive and won't ever delete anything for any reason, you're still only spending an average of US$0.16 per gigabyte.  That's dirt cheap.
Of course, that's based on an actual HDD, and not SSDs, as that would completely skew the result.  Flash memory is more expensive.  Period.  And will likely stay that way for a while.
Otherwise, yes.  Triple-A games are getting to be copious amounts of eye candy* and dumbed down interfaces**, forgoing gameplay.
*Crysis, Mass Effect 2, Two Worlds, etc..  The list goes on...
**Spore especially, but there's plenty of others

The only two commercial games I have played in the past few months?  Borderlands and Freelancer.
Borderlands is just a unique mix of RPG and FPS that hasn't been done before, and I enjoy it.
Freelancer...  10 years later, it's still fun for me.  They had the formula right back then...  Pretty good graphics for the time, but still had great gameplay...
Otherwise I've been playing Minecraft infdev, Wurm, and Dwarf Fortress.
Do I regret it?  Hell no!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 19, 2010, 12:30:23 am »

In the era of static and contraband terabyte hard drives, 10GB is nothing.
Seriously, I did some math on this subject recently, if you're anal-retentive and won't ever delete anything for any reason, you're still only spending an average of US$0.16 per gigabyte.
That depends a lot on availability and where you are in the world. 10gb is always a lot (to me at least), it's something slow to install, to download (unless you're some european freak with a 50mb/s link), to move around, and will be slow to load up. You seriously don't need to use 10gb to make a good game and being 10gb doesn't make it good or pretty either.

As an example, one terabyte over here equals one month of minimum wage.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 19, 2010, 12:46:19 am »

it's something slow to install, to download, to move around, and will be slow to load up
Install: Depends on the speed of the drive in question, and where the data is coming from, along with the efficiency of the installer.
Download: ...Yeah...  But if you're getting it digitally, that's the price you pay for not having to worry about a physical disc. (or it's the price you pay for not paying at all, if you're a pirate...)
Move: You don't want to be moving around a commercial game's data much anyway, they tend to add tons of crap to the registry stating where they are.
Loading: Depends on the drive again, and (heavily upon) the game.  GTAIV, weighing in at a whopping 15.4GB, loads up in a couple of seconds for me(barring the obnoxiously long unskippable introduction sequence), whereas Garry's Mod, at only 2.2GB, can take upwards of 3 or 4 minutes.
Availability/Price: Well, you've got me there...  My point stands if you're in North America, but otherwise, I don't know.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 19, 2010, 02:09:45 am »

The terabyte example I quoted was for a regular WD caviar HDD, which isn't exactly good. The better it gets, the more expensive, but for americans and possibly europeans, yeah, it's pretty cheap, a day of work at minimum wage buys you a terabyte easily.

I have a 500gb portable HD I keep most of the games I want to play again at some time. I make sure to make them all portable if I can. Games that use a shared folder are often harder to make portable, requires some testing first. But you can always throw them into a virtual machine and say fuck you developers for being so crappy.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 13, 2010, 02:05:06 am »

Fable 2, nuff said.

Loved Fable 1, didn't bother with Fable 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:56 am »

Fable 2, nuff said.

If you played Fable 2 you played Fable 3

I'll admit that Fable 3 probably has one of the best Cinamatic sequences of all videogames (as in it has ONE that is amazing...)... but really that isn't a reason to buy the game. No I am not talking about the Chicken one, though that was good too. I call the sequence "My Albion"

Though good music and good cinamatics does not a good game make.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:54 am »

Fable 2, nuff said.

If you played Fable 1 you played Fable 2.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 13, 2010, 09:53:34 am »

Makes me feel glad I've only played Fable 1.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 13, 2010, 10:06:26 am »

Fable 2, nuff said.

If you played Fable 1 you played Fable 2.

No Fable 2 was quite the step up... or back... either way it was different

Or at least 10 times more different then Fable 3

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

Fable 2, nuff said.

I'll admit that Fable 3 probably has one of the best Cinamatic sequences of all videogames (as in it has ONE that is amazing...)... but really that isn't a reason to buy the game. No I am not talking about the Chicken one, though that was good too. I call the sequence "My Albion"

Though good music and good cinamatics does not a good game make.
The chicken thing is the best part of Fable 3.  Granted that I've shelved it due to gamebreaking bugs...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 13, 2010, 10:14:06 am »

I think suffice it to say any sort of claim to originality, creativity, or otherwise making games different then what has been put out there thousands of times before while still being entertaining is now DEAD!!!

Which is a shame because Lionhead had so much potential.

All their games seem amazing on paper, heck even I want Milo, but they fail in execution.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 13, 2010, 05:09:29 pm »

I'd say mass murdering is the biggest problem. I was playing Metroid Prime 3 the other day, and I was scanning like crazy. I scanned a door.

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Anyone ever thought of... you know, knocking?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Ever thought of designing doors that didn't jam open when shot?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66