Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120637 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #765 on: December 13, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Ever thought of designing doors that didn't jam open when shot?

Yes. http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
It's #96
[/post]

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:54 pm »

I'd say mass murdering is the biggest problem. I was playing Metroid Prime 3 the other day, and I was scanning like crazy. I scanned a door.

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Anyone ever thought of... you know, knocking?
...you know, those doors are there to keep people OUT. You have to blast them open for a reason.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 13, 2010, 07:56:52 pm »

Dumbed-down gameplay.
Linearity.
Graphic-centrism.

are my main problems with modern gaming. I want to be challenged, and free to find my own ways of meeting the challenge...not railroaded into shooting a thousand identical mooks and mobs until the credits roll and tell me to fork over another 60 bucks for the quasi-identical sequel.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:07:22 pm by Shrugging Khan »
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:03 pm »

I'd say mass murdering is the biggest problem. I was playing Metroid Prime 3 the other day, and I was scanning like crazy. I scanned a door.

Anyone ever thought of... you know, knocking?
...you know, those doors are there to keep people OUT. You have to blast them open for a reason.
Inside the middle of a spaceship, very near to very sensitive equipment, near important personele? Yeah...
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:18 am »

The thing that bugs me about modern games is cinematics.  Seriously, some of these newer games have gigs and gigs taken up by high-res movie-quality cinematics that could just as easily be done in the engine.  I have a 140gb hard drive, I can't be filling that up with 2-minute videos I'll watch once.
Shoes...

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:23 am »

Cinematics were pretty in games back in the 90s, but now games are just overdoing it. I generaly don't like games with lots of cinematics, because that usualy comes with a stupid linear plot.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 14, 2010, 04:32:43 am »

just saw this post and he has it right!!, my problem is the dumbed down game-play for "the general public"... Sod the general public! no one wants game which can be played by a two year old!!, they have been doing this so much recently and im sick of trying to find a newish release game only to find that there so simple i might as well as have given it to my dog to play.

they have done this with Civ 5, patrician 4, Spore and loads others i forget :P

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:34:46 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 14, 2010, 04:39:28 am »

Dumbed down gameplay? When were game controls ever complicated? Not every game is Dwarf Fortress level of detailed, heck the stuff they have today is still many times more complex that, say, the nes days.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 14, 2010, 04:50:48 am »

Dumbed down gameplay? When were game controls ever complicated? Not every game is Dwarf Fortress level of detailed, heck the stuff they have today is still many times more complex that, say, the nes days.

Nostalgia goggles.  Every time I've played one of the "good old games" from my youth I've found it so easy I can't believe it was ever a challenge.  They're still good games, though.
Shoes...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: December 14, 2010, 05:30:19 am »

You did not own a NES then.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 14, 2010, 05:54:18 am »

I do own a NES, and they were fun, and they were HARD, but they were fun because they were simple, and they were hard because of Fake Difficulty
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:55:56 am by Luke_Prowler »

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 14, 2010, 07:49:14 am »

I do own a NES, and they were fun, and they were HARD, but they were fun because they were simple, and they were hard because of Fake Difficulty
Not quite. some of them were, but most were just plain hard. There was nothing "Fake" about Battletoads.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:13 am »

Not quite. some of them were, but most were just plain hard. There was nothing "Fake" about Battletoads.

"Fake Difficulty?"  Is that like how Ezio will randomly jump off roof's a cliffs in Assassin's Creed when you mean for him to jump onto another roof?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: December 14, 2010, 08:20:22 am »

Well some of the more recent Super Mario titles suffer heavily from "fake difficulty", while the older ones just were plain hard.
I don't remember wrestling with the inaccurate controls, and the confusing camera as much with Super Mario 64 as I did in Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Still upholding this opinion after replaying it on the Nintendo DS some months ago.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: December 14, 2010, 09:28:49 am »

I consider idiotic 20 character password systems and being forced to start the entire game over again fake difficulty, myself...so I think of a lot of old games as having large amounts of fake difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 66