Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120650 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #780 on: December 14, 2010, 12:51:48 pm »

If entering a password is difficult for you, then the problem isn't the game. It's also not "idiotic" when you consider the actual technological limitations of the time.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 14, 2010, 12:57:15 pm »

If entering a password is difficult for you, then the problem isn't the game. It's also not "idiotic" when you consider the actual technological limitations of the time.
20 characters in a game where you get killed regularly can take up a lot of time.

And why make it so long?  You aren't very likely to crack even a 5 character password by chance.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:13 pm »

Dumbed down gameplay? When were game controls ever complicated?

And I've seen even more complete controls than that.

Not that I don't appreciate simpler controls when it fits the game. For example, the controls required for TF2 are perfect. What I don't like is when games on the pc are forced to fit into a controller scheme. We like the keyboard & mouse for a reason. As for a more general example, look into hardnova, daggerfall, system shock, realms of arkania, darklands, stronghold, ironseed, twilight 2000. Even Stars! has more fiber than Spore's space age.

And it's not nostalgia goggles, Cthulhu, these examples are games I choose to play over their modern counterparts. I like them -a lot- better. This year I did:
Half way of system shock
Up to the last dungeon of startrail but it got me dizzy and frustrated like always. Plus I know there's a game breaking bug there. >.<
Botched twilight 2000 because I forgot to pick a language for one of the final missions.
explored random dungeons in daggerfall with a character from 1998 or so.
tried hard to find a working copy of Stars! that would hopefully run on vista
Played xcom2 to the end, again. It's almost like a yearly tradition
Played some xcom3, but got pwn3d by aliens
Played flight of the amazon queen and almost peed myself from laughing at old silly jokes
Tried playing darksun, but I must admit, those (1 & 2) are full of nostalgia goggles, I have no patience for that anymore

Not to say I didn't play modern games, I know I played a lot and perhaps should have spent more time doing something else with my free time. >.> ... But I have no doubt that unless I'm really surprised by one of the upcoming games, I will still be focusing on the good oldies for a looong while.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:52:58 pm by Soulwynd »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 14, 2010, 02:15:49 pm »

And it's not nostalgia goggles, Cthulhu, these examples are games I choose to play over their modern counterparts. I like them -a lot- better. This year I did:
Half way of system shock

I attempted System Shock, but apparently I am sans one save file that prevents the game from crashing.
(That is: apparently you need to load a game from a save as when you start a new game the game will crash inside 60 seconds).

Been too lazy to fix it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 14, 2010, 03:06:15 pm »

20 characters in a game where you get killed regularly can take up a lot of time.

And why make it so long?  You aren't very likely to crack even a 5 character password by chance.

Er, they're generally long because they actually encode information. They aren't "passwords" in the security sense. Of course, how much information depends on the game, and you haven't mentioned one in particular. Generally, the password needs to encode a fair bit of information as well as obfuscate it enough that it doesn't amount to the game asking "SO HOW MANY MISSILES DID YOU HAVE? ENTER NUMBER:".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 14, 2010, 04:32:45 pm »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 14, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

Er, they're generally long because they actually encode information. They aren't "passwords" in the security sense.
No, it's like a hyper-condensed savegame you're typing in. Faxanadu had that. If you think loading times are long now, try typing 20 letters with a NES controller.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 14, 2010, 04:55:01 pm »

Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »

On the other hand...
Oh god La Mulana...

Just wait until I finish producing my Flash bastardization of Tower of Druaga.  "Soup Cans" pretty much describes the whole game.
(And one of the floors is built to be a soup can puzzle, to boot).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:30:12 pm by Draco18s »

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 14, 2010, 06:09:37 pm »

tl:dr

one thing bugs me;
loading screens didn't exist back when

wec le mans or robocop on a spectrum. 'nuff said.

agreed on some other stuff though - but it's all crass generalisation. There are good games, there are shit games. Some good games have shit bits, some shit games have good bits.

I see no slippery slope of evil, maybe bar requiring uninterrupted internet connections for single player games. that just takes the biscuit that does.

[insert your own "games are just like..." metaphor here if you like]

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 14, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »

I'd say mass murdering is the biggest problem. I was playing Metroid Prime 3 the other day, and I was scanning like crazy. I scanned a door.

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Anyone ever thought of... you know, knocking?
...you know, those doors are there to keep people OUT. You have to blast them open for a reason.
Inside the middle of a spaceship, very near to very sensitive equipment, near important personele? Yeah...
...Yes? I would assume the people who actually RUN the place can get through without blasting them. It's the equivalent of busting in the door to get into someone's house. It works, but it's certainly not how the owner gets in.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 14, 2010, 08:09:02 pm »

I'd say mass murdering is the biggest problem. I was playing Metroid Prime 3 the other day, and I was scanning like crazy. I scanned a door.

The scan came up somewhere around "This is a standard Galactic Federation door. If is protected by an energy shield and can be opened by a weak blast."

Anyone ever thought of... you know, knocking?
...you know, those doors are there to keep people OUT. You have to blast them open for a reason.
Inside the middle of a spaceship, very near to very sensitive equipment, near important personele? Yeah...
...Yes? I would assume the people who actually RUN the place can get through without blasting them. It's the equivalent of busting in the door to get into someone's house. It works, but it's certainly not how the owner gets in.
Well Samus certainly isn't considered a hostile....

She must be quite trigger happy....

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »

Just because you've been hired to kick the evil monster out of a civilian apartment building, that doesn't mean you have the keys to every door.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:31 pm »

The Metroid Prime example is funny because it's been like that since NES days, back when it was just to keep the controls simple. Granted, it STILL doesn't make sense with the lore sometimes, but what's happening is streamlined controls (namely, only moving and shooting, no controller space wasted on an action button), not dumbed-down ones.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:14 pm »

The Metroid Prime example is funny because it's been like that since NES days, back when it was just to keep the controls simple. Granted, it STILL doesn't make sense with the lore sometimes, but what's happening is streamlined controls (namely, only moving and shooting, no controller space wasted on an action button), not dumbed-down ones.
Thing is? In MP3, there are lots of "Press (A) to interact" things like scanners, buttons, levers, ETC. You'd think for the higher security doors, rather than put stronger blast shields on them, they'd put scanners.

Stupid federation.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 66