Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120669 times)

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #795 on: December 15, 2010, 12:39:18 am »

Just because you've been hired to kick the evil monster out of a civilian apartment building, that doesn't mean you have the keys to every door.

Oh course, they'll probably get smashed open anyways...
[/post]

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 15, 2010, 12:39:52 am »

Maybe it's a time honored tradition.

I'd draw a comic of people in various times and cultures shooting their doors, but I can't draw for shit.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:29 am »

Er, they're generally long because they actually encode information. They aren't "passwords" in the security sense.
No, it's like a hyper-condensed savegame you're typing in. Faxanadu had that. If you think loading times are long now, try typing 20 letters with a NES controller.
Yeah, I don't mean games where there are actually a lot of different things the password could matter for, I'm talking about like, on the SNES, when they COULD have used a regular saving system, but instead they make you type 20 characters each and every time you game over, and the only possible variable is which of the ten or so levels you are on.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 15, 2010, 04:27:57 am »

Fun fact, Metroid used a battery save system in Japan.  But they didn't think it would sell very well over here (my guess), so they didn't bother to build that extra expense into the cartridge...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: December 16, 2010, 02:10:32 pm »

That's because it wasn't on a cartridge. The Famicom Disk System version of Metroid had save slots.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: December 17, 2010, 07:54:25 pm »

What I actually meant about the password was games with clearly defined levels and basically nothing to save other than the level you got up to (so it would give you the password at the start of a level rather than as a save thingy).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 17, 2010, 07:58:33 pm »

I liked the Mega Man passwords.  Easy and fun to write down, easy and fun to enter.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #802 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:00 am »

In response to the OP:

There will be two weapon skills in TES5:Skyrim. Blunts and Bladed, perhaps? No. One and two handed. Because using a hand-axe makes you better at using daggers, rapiers, sabers, and clubs, but not better at using a bigger axe, as it was put so susinctly in the TES5 thread.

This is the problem with modern games.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:16 am »

What? Is this a 1 year rant thread?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 20, 2011, 12:06:31 pm »

There will be two weapon skills in TES5:Skyrim.
Yeah, I mentioned that in the TES5 thread. And I was right, they reduced the number of skills and are only talking about their new graphics engine. Hurray, future!

What? Is this a 1 year rant thread?
Yup. And hopefully it will last another year!

Sad thing is, I don't even have much to rant about past January 2010. There just weren't any games worth mentioning. At least there were no games that raised my hopes, everything I thought would end up disappointing me ended disappointing me, so no surprises. There were a bunch of games I didn't even bother full-demoing, such as call of duty sequels and more sequels.

One pleasant surprise was Monday Night Combat, for a console based game it is rather fun.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

My current rant is how AI War: Fleet Command is no longer a good game.  Its undergone so many major re-balances that it's no longer the game I bought.  So much so that I went out and found an installer for 3.12.

Anyone seen parasites lately?  Good luck using them to reclaim anything.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 20, 2011, 12:59:23 pm »

I am now planning a game that fixes all the current problems games have.

Actual strategy, very diverse tactics, high customizability (think mechwarrior games), high survivability for each player instead of either a "god-hero-dude" or "pewpew my watergun kills your tank", many different factions that have legitimate reasons. Other stuff.

A (mostly) online space fight game.

Any suggestions on what to add? I have a good idea on what I want to do, but I want input on the design. I'm designing it now, adding data now, making it in the pretty far future.

Oh and I voted for all.
Especially not being able to try everything you can.
This is why df is da best.

EDIT:
Oh, and I hate "good vs evil" shit.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:42 pm »

Make it l(awful) vs chaos then. Y'know, government against pirates.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 20, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »

SotS 2 looks rather sexy, by the sounds of it it'll be a typical MOO-type 4x sequel with an evil, ancient, once-galaxy-ruling race invading, but that's always fun. Plus, Leviathan class ships are awesome just to imagine. There are also several more games I'm kind of excited about. I just can't recall them.

I'm not sure about TES5, after Oblivion. Bethesda look like they're dumbing it down as much as they can, yet I have a feeling it could yet turn out decent

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 20, 2011, 01:21:53 pm »

Been playing King's Field 2 recently.

It's an oldschool PSX RPG. You play in the first person the whole game without fail. The graphics are dated. The character, the combat, the action is SLOW..........

And yet there is something magical about this game. There's NO hand holding, none whatsoever. You start the game and literally, you're on your own for what to do next. Sure, the NPCs will tell you what you NEED to do, but not where to go or how to do it.

The game is mostly non-linear. There are no "scripted boss fights" where you MUST defeat an enemy to proceed. The game is completely willing to let you run out into the wild, go into an area far above your ability, and die horribly. 75% of the amazing weapons, armors and items in the game are optional; they're so well-hidden sometimes that you must SCOUR the game looking for them. Every area is riddled with secret passages that you have to put the leg work into finding.

In essence, the game is all about DISCOVERY. It isn't some pre-plotted experience that the devs insisted everyone approach the same way, that everyone has the same epic boss fight and gets the +20 sword of awesome. You can still DO these things, but King's Field 2 leaves the decision up to the player. It says "It's ok if you don't see everything, do everything, acquire everything....otherwise what's the point of playing the game?"

---

Modern games don't believe in this at all. If there's a secret, the player damn well better find it. No player should ever be left to figure something out for themselves. The most modern games will accept is dumping you in a room with obvious puzzle element, a giant neon question mark that no one can overlook. No player should ever have to "wander" to get anywhere, they should always know exactly where they need to go, what they need to do and what they'll get for doing it.

In King's Field 2, I've put in 14 hours easily already, and at one point I realized I was still wearing the crappy starting leather helm. Why? Because I'd forgotten about a chest midway through that contained a better helmet. I also didn't save up the requisite cash to buy a better helmet because there were so many other demands on my money, either. Of course, if I really needed money, I could just sell one of the 10 or so unique game items like keys or QUEST OBJECTS for ridiculous cash. What game even lets you do that anymore? Willingly sell off the "ITEM THAT WILL SAVE THE WORLD." Most games would be like "Fuck no, are you crazy?" King's Field 2 says "I'll give you 15,000 for it. If you want it back, be prepared to pay 45,000."

Granted, some parts of the game are like pulling teeth, compared to today's modern slickness. Yet King's Field 2 does what so many games today fail to....they keep the future a mystery for me. They make me want to explore the world because they haven't illuminated its every corner for my convenience. And it makes me feel like the choices I make are my own.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 66