Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120639 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #855 on: January 26, 2011, 06:37:22 am »

College? Is that one of those real life things?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 26, 2011, 06:53:47 am »

I feel I should point out that with the exception of the murdering stuff, which has always been in games, hell you even 'kill' the ghosts in pacman, that focusing on new and better graphics partly causes the other stuff, both becouse of the time and money put into said graphics, and becouse better graphics means every single animation takes up more space.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #857 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

You cannot regenerate in Op7, nor in NeoTokyo. So I love those games. One life, make the best out of it.

NeoTokyo... So much hype for it but I was disappointed- the high damage means combat lasts short amounts of time and the way it favours camping means matches go on a long time, so you spend of your time 'playing' doing nothing. I've got no problems with games where there's no healing and you die quickly in combat, but I can't really enjoy them without a re-spawn (eg Insurgency, Day of Defeat Source, Red Orchestra- though that tends to boil down to grenade spam and vehicle battles).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 26, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »

Have you played lately, Strange guy?

The community that remains is very pro, they sort of drive you to become better as they show you how every strategy you come up with can be countered and horribly fucked up. Not even camping is valid as there will always some ass who will bounce his grenade on the wall near by so it falls exactly on your face.

Now, in Op7, there are a lot of camping maps, but that's part of the fun. That's part of the realism. People take cover and wait there. What you do is try to counter his cover while remaining undetected. That's where thinking becomes way more crucial than what you have in CSS for example, which is simply knowing the map, knowing the chokes, and reflex firing there as soon as you see movement. Very very few maps in Op7 & NeoTokyo have chokes, there's always a way of going behind someone.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:39 am »

Ah, I'm liking Soulwynd's "Thinking man's analysis of the FPS".

Sounds like a fun game. Sort of wish I had time for games these days.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49:39 am »

Ah, I'm liking Soulwynd's "Thinking man's analysis of the FPS".

Sounds like a fun game. Sort of wish I had time for games these days.
Back when I played NeoTokyo, there was a clan that was full of police officers that played it. It was interesting. Mostly because breaching techniques don't always work against a jumping cloaked dude with a P90 and remotely detonated bombs.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:41 am »

On the "good and evil" discussion: imagine a line where we define the +x direction as good and the -x direction as evil. Now add another line perpendicular to that line, and on it define the +y direction as good, and the -y direction as evil. Where we had two "categories", we now have four, and thus there is are (evil, evil)(good, good)(evil, good) and (good, evil) areas. So of course, we add another axis to our quickly forming grid, giving us the wonders of three Cartesian dimensions, and eight categories, including such gems as (good, evil, good)(evil, good, evil)(evil, evil, good)(good, good, evil)(good, evil, evil)(evil, good, good)(good, good, good) and finally (evil, evil, evil) [it sounds like we aught to avoid that last one, doesn't it?]. To finish this particular mental exercise, add an axis for every habit (and opinion) in existence, then calculate an approximate number of categories.
 Did that image crash your brain? Of course not, since no sane or reasonable person would try to process it, and those with neither attribute would soon* be interrupted by those who are. However, doesn't that particular method of recording information, just the categories, remind you of something? If not my track change?

For my next trick, I sit here wondering how the thought "absolutes like good an evil are general directions. You can't measure a general direction" turned into the above and below post. And there! I have realized the answer with my phantasmal 1/5 ratio of sleep/wake!

*Before they starve to death.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »

I'm just gonna drop this here, since it's relevant to my hate of the call of duty series and all its crappyness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7r9RqWBdl8

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 02, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »

That was funny, but you could do that to any game.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:31 pm »

That was funny, but you could do that to any game.
True, but the question is, would you agree with the satire's criticism? I do, so It's relevant to me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:21:17 pm by Soulwynd »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:23 pm »

So, my hate today goes to Ubisoft. Not that they haven't been the target of my disappointment and disagreement with how modern games are faring, but the bullshit stinks enough for me to mention them today.

I can't really say I care for the games they are releasing right now, so if anything, I'm guilty of not giving a fuck about the shit they put out. I'm also guilty of being pro-piracy and anti-copyright but that doesn't mean I don't buy games. In fact I do buy a lot of them.

To make things short;

Ubisoft will never see money from me while they keep up with this needless-always-online DRM bullshit.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »

I would say the same, but I can't really control what games I get.
Not like people buy games for me or anything, but if I see a deal on Steam or something, sometimes I just can't help it.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 28, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »

It would have to be a real jewel of a game for me to buy from ubisoft right now.

Hell, it has to be an extremely good game for me to warez anything ubisoft publishes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 28, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »

It would have to be a real jewel of a game for me to buy from ubisoft right now.

Hell, it has to be an extremely good game for me to warez anything ubisoft publishes.

Actually the smart plan there would be to buy it AND pirate it.  You don't install the purchased copy, but rather the pirated one.  Then you get the game, don't have to deal with the DRM, but still paid for it.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2011, 06:52:24 pm »

Actually the smart plan there would be to buy it AND pirate it.  You don't install the purchased copy, but rather the pirated one.  Then you get the game, don't have to deal with the DRM, but still paid for it.
But that's so much work!
That's how I'd do it, ideally. However, in my experience, Steam removes DRM. Unless it's Windows Live Gaming or whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 66