Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1593681 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Play nice while I'm out being nice, okay?
« Reply #9375 on: June 25, 2014, 05:22:29 pm »

So this "umbrella term" doesn't extend to the "cisgender" people? How exclusive.

"we don't need all these labels, just relax and go with the flow" is an attempt to defuse all the tension charged into these words. If someone deliberately calls you something you say you're not? You have every right to be mad. But because someone makes an honest mistake based on empirical evidence? Seems like they are taking offence over a misunderstanding. Your solution is to bring in a new word that in effect "erases what they feel" as it lumps everyone together in a huge bundle labelled "not cisgender."

"These communities were the first to say "No, you're not a freak, you're just different, and that's okay." Yes. And I have no problems with the communities themselves.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »

If it extends to cisgender people, who do not face the same problems as trans* people, who do not exhibit the same range of gender expression (or else they would not be cisgender), then it becomes a useless term. The whole point is that this is a group of people bound by the very fact that they *aren't* cisgender, with things that arise because of that, such as health concerns, risk-factors from bigotry and trans-bashers, etc. And I think it's a little disingenuous for you to even say that, you're smarter than that and this should be more than obvious, the same as extending "african american" to include European whites would be absurd.

I'm not sure how often I need to say this, but I'll say it again, and try to be clearer: This is about "lumping" them together in situations where they ought to be lumped together, such as a trans* pride march, talking about health-issues that face all or nearly all trans* people, talking about the problems trans* people face from those outside who view them all as "tranny fag freaks" and threaten or actively hurt them. If there are issues discussed that one sub-group faces but others don't, then you discuss it using that sub-groups term. If you know which sub-group someone falls into, then when it comes up, you call them by the sub-group term they have told you they fall under. IF you don't know, then you don't know, and you don't call them a bloody yellow-jacket when it comes up. You call them trans*, the same as if you don't know if someone is from New York or California, you say "They're American" when it's relevant. Or should we start calling you Irish? After all, you live in [northern] Ireland. You should just calm down and don't take offense over such a misunderstanding. [I realize that you will probably say you only take offense when someone continuously calls you Irish, but that's pretty much the same thing going on here, you realize that, yes? I'm telling you that trans* is preferred in the circumstances such I've described, and you turn around and say "It doesn't matter!" or "How exclusive to not make the term hilariously useless!"]

This isn't about "honest mistakes" or anything like that, you asked what purpose the term serves, and this is that purpose. As I said, if you make an honest mistake such as misgendering someone, own up to it, have no malice, and make best effort to rectify that, there is *no* basis for any ill-will or judgement towards you. If you do not do any of those, then there *is* basis. Though I feel the need to reiterate, this was not about honest mistakes or misgendering, but about the question of what purpose the term serves, and why you shouldn't just shotgun a term at people and hope they'll speak up and say "Uh, hey, that's the wrong term, you know." Though, again, trans* is not often used in casual conversation, unless it comes about to discussing trans* issues. Usually the main issue in those contexts is the misgendering. Trans* is used as a discussion tool to discuss issues that face trans* people, or to discuss someone who you don't know what they are beyond them not being cisgender.

The communities bit was explaining why trans* people would feel loyal to those communities, and that there is nothing wrong with people identifying with a community, which you seemed to find issue with in regards to "I'd feel insulted if I was transgender and called part of the transgender community."
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:46:38 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: June 25, 2014, 05:54:06 pm »

You obviously feel very passionately about it. Whilst I could pick and rant, it wouldn't make a button of difference. I'm just saddened a bit by all this division, but alas, the photo thread isn't the place for such discussion :P

If you want to talk about it some more, PM me. Not that I can see you wanting to, but I just don't think here is the place.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: June 25, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

Oh god, what behemoth have I unleashed this time?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: June 25, 2014, 06:01:07 pm »

Hehe.

An angry Descan doing his utmost to tear out my throat, verbally or otherwise?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: June 25, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

I'm just saddened a bit by all this division

Just so you know, I'm saving this quote for the next time you rant because Owlbread calls you Irish.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: June 25, 2014, 06:09:06 pm »

Do so. Now avaunt, foul spirits, and leave me alone.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9382 on: June 25, 2014, 06:12:09 pm »

I'll leave you alone now, Irish.  :P

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: June 25, 2014, 06:15:02 pm »

Words don't even...

Well, I guess that's another PM thing. Anyone who wants to talk about that, PM. Photoshare is not the place.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: June 25, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »

I'll leave you alone now, Irish.  :P

I'm sorry, but I gotta butt in on this. The reason why he's not Irish is the same reason why the IRA exists. Believe me, he's told me countless times (DwArfY and I talk outside of bay12) and even provided a graph that explains it. He also gets really upset over it and if you're looking to start a fight with him, that's how you do it. Now leave the blighter alone. Once again, this isn't something to be done on the photo thread.

And because I missed it, the reason I put she in quotes (as to earlier) is for two reasons:

1) Its how they want to be identified
2) I willingly admit its difficult for me to comprehend and deal with. I constantly make the mistake of saying he instead of she and I probably could've done it better by putting it in italics or something.

If you think I was being offensive, then you obviously don't know me very well (I try my best to keep a neutral face, but in some cases, I'm very black and white. People in general is usually neutral grounds, unless they're assholes or nice to me).

EDIT:
Here's the graph afte much digging

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOUBLE EDIT:
If I knew how to scale images, i would, but I'm an idiot, so I can't. Sorry about the big arse image
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 06:28:28 pm by highmax28 »
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: June 25, 2014, 06:28:50 pm »

I very much appreciate the support, Highmax!

Still...ehh...maybe the wrong thread for it? :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9386 on: June 25, 2014, 06:31:35 pm »

Its [*img width=sizeinpixel] [/img]. Without the * of course. And I apologized by PM, but let me do it again, I know you're touchy about this and it was not nice of me to joke about it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:06 pm »

DOUBLE EDIT:
If I knew how to scale images, i would, but I'm an idiot, so I can't. Sorry about the big arse image
* Tiruin brings out her formatting card.
Replace [img] with [img height=x width=y]
Wherein x/y = # of pixels
So a 600/400 = portrait // 400/800 = Landscape.

Also don't call yourself an idiot with a straight face. You can do that too, y'know. :P

Also I'd rather drop the quotation marks when you round it when talking towards trans people >.> It sounds...really different if you put the quotation marks. I mean sure it references the biological sex but still.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9388 on: June 25, 2014, 09:06:37 pm »

In other news:

Yeah, mastahcheese doesn't really look much like Vector. Though, if I recall correctly, she bears a striking resemblance to Remalle.
I really have no idea what you're talking about.
I'd say your face is a bit higher up on your face, if that made any sort of sense. If nothing else, you look more like each other than either of you look like mastahcheese.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: June 25, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:40:51 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 987