Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1080362 times)

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4950 on: November 11, 2010, 11:06:49 am »

I actually have a question for once.

If a tamed animal kills a tantuming/insane dwarf, is it safe to keep around, or should it be put down?

A tamed animal becomes part of your fort, so they will fight to defend it from enemies.  And a tantruming/insane dwarf is marked as an enemy.  Only if a wild animal has killed a dwarf before being tamed, will it revert and/or cause problems later on after being tamed.

Edit - and Ninja'd.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: November 11, 2010, 12:12:20 pm »

Traps are possible, but it'll take a long time for the elephants to decide to walk on them.

Advice?

Nick

Set your Cage Traps at the choke points (next to stairwells/outside the doors/etc) mark all of your doors as 'Keep tightly closed' http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Door
.   Set up your cages where they aren't, but where they eventually will move through (so your Dwarfs setting up the traps aren't scared during construction).  You'll probably need tons and tons of traps, so lock off your Workshop areas as much as possible to control where they might move to.

As long as you don't attack them, they won't become violent.  Once you've captured them, they are easily tamed then you can butcher them (or make them into WarElephants -- WOOT ).
I got lucky. There were five of them and I only had two cage traps, but I still caged four. The fifth was hiding in a room all by himself, so he's locked in now.

Nick

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: November 11, 2010, 12:32:17 pm »

... The fifth was hiding in a room all by himself, so he's locked in now.

Nick

Ahh, so that's where Horton ended up at.  ;)

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: November 11, 2010, 12:33:55 pm »

im using the ironhand tileset nd there is no option in the init file to take off blood tracking, anything i can do?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: November 11, 2010, 01:09:17 pm »

There's two init files.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: November 11, 2010, 01:09:41 pm »

I'm guessing this is so, just seeking confirmation: Is there a critical limit on creature populations in an area? Ex: I have a cage of over 30 elephant calves, no more have drifted through, the elves don't bring any and the war elephants have stopped birthing. I have over 30 bonobo in cages, and more haven't appeared. Lions were never that common, but now are one of the more frequent prowlers in the area.

So if I keep these bonobo caged, are bonobo going to stop getting in my traps?

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »

One current theory is that Wild animals are also limited by the 50-max per species.  Another theory is that Wild animal herds could get 'hunted out', and take some years to migrate in from other areas or re-spawn again.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4957 on: November 11, 2010, 01:23:49 pm »

I'm guessing this is so, just seeking confirmation: Is there a critical limit on creature populations in an area? Ex: I have a cage of over 30 elephant calves, no more have drifted through, the elves don't bring any and the war elephants have stopped birthing. I have over 30 bonobo in cages, and more haven't appeared. Lions were never that common, but now are one of the more frequent prowlers in the area.

There is a limit to the number of creatures which can be on the map at a time.  This is not actually a limit of numbers, but of groups of animals.  Animals will spawn on the map edge in groups whose size varies by the animal type, wander around the map, and eventually leave.  No new group will spawn until all members of the previous group are gone.  However, this does not apply to caged wild animals, so once you have caged all the wild animals on the map a new group should spawn.

What has happened to you is extinction of the local population.  Each animal has a fixed population per region which is created when the world is generated.  As far as I have been able to tell, this population never regenerates.  Bonobos have a population of 20-50 individuals, and once you've captured or killed all of those you will never see another bonobo.  Elephants have a population of 15-30, but unlike bonobos elephants have the [PET] tag and will breed quite readily on the map.  There is also a per-species limit of I think 50 at which point no more pregnancies will occur for that species, which is probably why your war elephants have stopped breeding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: November 11, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »

There's two init files.

its not there, i checked it against the regular 31.16 and its just missing

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »

copy-paste?  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: November 11, 2010, 01:50:58 pm »

Can workers starve to death/dehydrate during a job?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: November 11, 2010, 01:55:30 pm »

It's possible, but incridibly unlikely, as other dwarves should try to bring them food and drinks.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: November 11, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »

Ah, so feed patient/prisoner will also work on slaving professionals?

It's unlikely, but it's still an unlikely situation. I broke down two furnaces for security construction, and bars of metal scattered everywhere, 15-50 per tile, and apparently there's not stockpile/bin space for them, because they never moved. I rebuilt the furnaces to see if the dwarves would at least push them out of the way, and they did. Over a game week later, they were still moving bars, sometimes into each other's construction zone, getting hungry and thirsty and complaining. I really can't afford to lose architects; is it possible they could they die this way?

LoveMachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: November 11, 2010, 02:26:43 pm »

Ah, so feed patient/prisoner will also work on slaving professionals?

It's unlikely, but it's still an unlikely situation. I broke down two furnaces for security construction, and bars of metal scattered everywhere, 15-50 per tile, and apparently there's not stockpile/bin space for them, because they never moved. I rebuilt the furnaces to see if the dwarves would at least push them out of the way, and they did. Over a game week later, they were still moving bars, sometimes into each other's construction zone, getting hungry and thirsty and complaining. I really can't afford to lose architects; is it possible they could they die this way?
Did your security construction cut them off from food/booze supplies?  Dwarves don't normally starve themselves.  Suspend the construction and they'll go for a snack.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:28:16 pm by LoveMachine »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: November 11, 2010, 02:33:10 pm »

Did your security construction cut them off from food/booze supplies?  Dwarves don't normally starve themselves.  Suspend the construction and they'll go for a snack.
The workshop areas are open to high traffic, and they're in walking distance from 3 kitchens. I suspended their constructions just to be safe this time, but in the future there are plenty of dwarves who can bring them food until they are done.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1178