Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218707 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.41!!!)
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2010, 07:31:02 am »

Behold!

0.41! In all its glory!

Awesome new walls and wall transitions.

Completely remastered font, all re-aligned and re-spaced.
Sharper, crisper look and feel.

Fixed carp and other river/ocean fish showing up as drumsticks.

New chair tile.

New tile magic backgrounds that merge seamlessly with floors.
You will be amazed at how awesome your dining halls look.
I personally guarantee it. Or your money back.

A bunch of other little fixes and changes.

Xelnag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.41 is gonna be sweet!)
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2010, 07:42:37 am »

@Nabobalis & Xelnag - You could probably do this yourself, easily enough.  Just open the two tilesets in pretty much any editor that supports .png (careful with paint, don't think it saves transparency... I advise GIMP) and copy/paste the letter tiles from one into the other.  If they don't fit, either resize them, or just try to get them centered in the tile.  You can set up a grid in GIMP to show you where each tile is, I think the default grid is actually 10, so you could see where the center is too on a 20x20 tileset....

Thanks for the tip ;D

Awesome 0.41 is here, gonna check it out.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2010, 07:56:19 am »

:o  :D

But the barrels are very dark

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2010, 08:03:10 am »

Yeah.

They are the next thing on the list.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:26 am »

And the old font was more readable for me, maybe because it was bigger; the background behind rock is darker than the rest of the floor, but this was intended I think; there is no bacground begind this: ☼. But those are the changes that I can mod myself. Awesome job, sir.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:19 am »

Again me (sorry):

I completely don't understand one choice that you have made - why did you change the 'normal' floor graphic behind the various tiles, eg. armor stand, traps, dwarfs etc. for the 'smooth' floor graphic? Now most of the time it is at odds with the rest of floor tiles, until you smooth every floor on which the dwarves can stand, or on which you can put a trap or armor stand etc.

---------

The ice floor is again the same as ice walls.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:46:35 am by Prastary »

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 25, 2010, 11:04:22 am »

very much enjoy this, it's very nice looking.

the only criticism i can seriously muster is that with no backgrounds, dark creatures (eg, black bears) on dark backgrounds blend in too well, which can make them a bit of a pain to see...but that's pretty much it

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 25, 2010, 12:07:24 pm »

@Prastary:

I find the current visual effect to be actually quite pleasing.
I don't think the backgrounds really look like the smoothed backgrounds unless you've got a whole bunch of them together...

Am I wrong? Do you really like a rough background better?

darn ice!

I will fix it for 0.42.

@Ampoliros:

Yeah, I noticed that too.
When I get around to those, that problem will be solved.
For now, maybe I'll take a look at just outlining them or something for the next version.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 25, 2010, 12:15:10 pm »

Am I wrong? Do you really like a rough background better?

Yes, now when eg. a cat or a dwarf goes here and there it looks like he is carrying a smooth floor tile with him everywhere. Rough tile is rough, it doesn't make such a distinct pattern, so it blends with various background nicer.

eidahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 25, 2010, 02:12:12 pm »

Could we get some screenshots? The tiles look great, but I'm sure it would be nice for people to see it in its full glory. .. puhleeezzze...

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 25, 2010, 03:35:12 pm »

I just started using this tileset, its probably the best looking out of the ones I have tried. However, I just finished engraving the nobles towers and there is no visual difference between smoothed floors and engraved floors.  So I changed what I thought was the engraved tile in the tileset, but it also changed the smoothed floors.  How would I go about seperating the two?
Cheers.

Edit// just updated to new version, those wall transitions are pretty damn good ;) Nice one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:49:51 pm by s20dan »

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 25, 2010, 04:20:28 pm »

I'm really liking the progress! A couple things I'd like to address; one that's a problem and another that's an annoyance.

First, the problem, something is causing the trading screen to not display the entire value of your selected items. Below are a couple images showing this in action. The only difference between the first and second image is a single selected item on the trader's list of goods.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second slightly annoying thing are the pillars that show up at the ends of the walls. If they simply rounded off on the free end it wouldn't be to bad, but with the way they are now it appears slightly awkward. This also causes a weird look when the wall ends by bumping up against a soil wall.

Other than those two things, it's awesome! Every update makes the set a little better. Keep up the good work!
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #942 on: June 25, 2010, 07:06:15 pm »

Sweet!

I'm just trying it out now - first thing I notice is "Shrubs" look like coiled ropes. But at least fish dont look like drumsticks anymore :P

Actually it's just some plants called "Shrub" others with the same name have a more plant-like appearance...

I think usually there are a lot more rough than smoothed tiles visible so the rough background is going to match more often?

Maybe a 50/50 mix of the rough and smooth tiles would be generic enough for the background?

Oh and brown tree trunks? Awesome! :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:12:23 pm by WormSlayer »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 25, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »

Shrubs are just what any wild plant is called.
The ones that look like ropes are called whip vines, and that's exactly what they are.

I guess I'll fiddle with the backgrounds a little more...

Theodolus:
Your problem is that the number 0 currently has a solid background. This is to place a floor behind coffins.
When the 0 is displayed as black on a white background (not often, but it happens in the trade screen),
all the pixels are painted black and you just get what appears to be an empty spot on the screen.
I should be able to fix this by creating a semi-transparent background for 0s. Next version.

As for the pillars, that's how they work. I suppose I could make a square pillar or an octagonal one or something...
but pillars will be pillars, and where they get tacked on to walls is not a decision that I get to make.

s20dan:
The same tile is always used for smoothed floors and engraved ones.
Smoothed floors have a black background, and engraved ones have a white background.
In traditional tilesets, (and as I did for my walls), the artist punches holes in there so that the white shows through.
I'm gonna do that for floors eventually; I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe for the next version, we'll see.

As for the screenshots, I need some of my loving fans to share theirs!
Does anybody have a solid fort they're willing to show off?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #944 on: June 25, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »

I've been doing more messing about with tiles than actual fortressing recently, but here is a little room I half-smoothed to test your walls on:

*LOVE* the transitions, pure win!

Not really digging the rounded pillar/wall ends but as you say it's a limitation you will have to work around.

Question: Why are there two barrel tiles? - Nevermind, one of them is supposed to be the % symbol and: Siltstone, Slate, Brimstone, Kimberlite, Bismuthinite, Realgar, Stibnite, Marcasite, Olivine, Orthoclase, Microcline, Petrified wood, Brimstone and Pyrolusite... O.o

And here is your tile sheet with my awesome lever and barrel (Slightly smaller lever so it looks nice in a row and higher contrast barrel.) ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:20:57 pm by WormSlayer »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 329