Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218603 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (still waiting for 0.50...)
« Reply #2250 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm really hoping that it picks up the ...I guess "permanent" floor value of the tile,
rather than (necessarily) the one that's currently being displayed (animals, miasma, etc).

I feel like that might be stretching my luck, though.

EDIT:

Oh, wow. The full implications of the workshop thing are just hitting me.
We can make workshops look like WHATEVER THE HECK WE WANT.
They can have three-by-three-tile graphics! That's a 54x54 tile for each workshop!

Although, if the floor thing works the way I hope it doesn't,
the workshop will fall apart into its original components whenever anybody walks through it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:47:55 pm by Ironhand »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: August 12, 2010, 07:08:19 pm »

Oh, here's one more question for Baughn:

Will this thing be able to see what tile is actually being used for an object (/the ones around it),
or will it just be able to see a sort of vanilla DF view of the thing. (tile 123, color 3:2:1, or whatever)?

I ask because it would be incredibly cool if we could see what tiles we used to for other objects,
so that we could build huge multi-tile art objects and put them in the game.
I feel like it probably doesn't work that way, but if it does, that would be SO AWESOME!
We could do stuff like waves that work their way out from the shoreline,
or just huge waves that don't tile as often so they look better...

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2252 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »

Oh, here's one more question for Baughn:

Will this thing be able to see what tile is actually being used for an object (/the ones around it),
or will it just be able to see a sort of vanilla DF view of the thing. (tile 123, color 3:2:1, or whatever)?

I already asked him about this, right now all he gets to work with is the vanilla data, but he did mention something about Toady passing more tile info out to the renderer being a possibility?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »

Something I hope for. He's shown little real inclination in that regard, but I hope that if I make it simple enough and beneficial enough, he'll eventually go for it. :P

And sorry, the neighbour-checking scheme is bound to break down whenever a dwarf steps on one of said neighbours. There's really nothing I can do about it.. it also breaks down at the edges of the screen, though I suppose you could not show those.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: August 12, 2010, 09:05:14 pm »

The idea of having proper portcullises and stuff is awesome.

So if you do the three-door-trick, could a tile do a check for [doors to E and W?]/[doors to N and S?] and then produce an extended entrance door spanning three tiles?

edit: same thing Ironhand basically just asked :P

Or do doors/any objects not count for checking purposes?

Roger that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:08:08 pm by Harmonica »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:36 pm »

A great big double-door would be awesome!

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: August 12, 2010, 09:10:42 pm »

I just like the idea of having the game be able to check stuff and change tiles on a whim (if my understanding of the potential is correct here).

So you build one door, it's just a normal door. Two doors, well maybe the game sees two doors next to each other and you get a widened door (ie, two tiles each half of a door). Three doors... yup.

You could go even further depending on how much tile checking you can do. So if you built two doors below, and then above, fortifications, say, maybe then you'd want to transform all those tiles into specific things so it becomes some kind of entrance gate.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2257 on: August 12, 2010, 09:11:39 pm »

Anywhere there is blocking so the tiles stay static this will work best. Also, dont forget we may be able to use the colour of tiles to pin down exactly what they are being used for... What *cant* get bloody/muddy/dusty?

This will actually be pretty radically awesome for mod makers - They can specify a particular layout of tiles as a custom workshop then set that to display anything they like from a now unlimited number of tile slots?

Things like ballista and catapult should be able to get a makeover in vanilla at least?

We can use also it to remove food crates from undug ground, maybe change them to boulders or something more suitable? Also maybe a nice little fade to black on the undug side of walls? :D

Daydreaming about watery ramps in photoshop:

Doors are a pain in my ass - Wooden doors look like engraved wall? - Check! Metal Doors look like stone? - Check! Glass doors look like trade posts or something? - Check! - Stone doors use the metal door icon while waiting to be hauled? - Check!

ಠ_ಠ
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:08:58 pm by WormSlayer »

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:08 pm »

Baughn, you've really outdone yourself this time.  Honestly, I'd like to go against the grain here, and support one tile per image.  This would be easier for me, because I could just replace the file if I wanted, say, the door from another tileset.  Of course, with the support for tile checking adjacent squares, there might be more than one door, so maybe there could be a "door" picture that's 3x3 or whatever with all the doors on it.

As for animation, having the glowing pits pulse would be pretty awesome, as would ice randomly shimmering.  Walls being dug out could look like there are rocks falling off of it, or something, as well.

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: August 12, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »

Do you have a link to your new tileset with the outlines and stuff?  It looks so much better to me, and I'd like to use it now!  =)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2260 on: August 12, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »

Do you have a link to your new tileset with the outlines and stuff?  It looks so much better to me, and I'd like to use it now!  =)

If you go back to page 142 there is a beta version of the newer changes. Use at your own risk! ;)

Baughn, you've really outdone yourself this time.  Honestly, I'd like to go against the grain here, and support one tile per image.  This would be easier for me, because I could just replace the file if I wanted, say, the door from another tileset.  Of course, with the support for tile checking adjacent squares, there might be more than one door, so maybe there could be a "door" picture that's 3x3 or whatever with all the doors on it.

As for animation, having the glowing pits pulse would be pretty awesome, as would ice randomly shimmering.  Walls being dug out could look like there are rocks falling off of it, or something, as well.

Yeah mad props to Baughn, it's a huge step towards removing the pain from making DF graphics!

With the proposed system you could have an entire sheet full of hundreds of doors and swap between them just by changing the tile number? I guess technical issues of "1 large file vs lots of small files" aside its more of a personal preference thing?

Also KillHour raises a good point - how does animation fit into this new scheme of yours Baughn? :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:35:26 pm by WormSlayer »

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: August 12, 2010, 11:31:55 pm »

Here's another thing. Couldn't you actually light tiles based on their proximity to light sources? Outdoors = full bright, indoors less so. If a wall is engraved, maybe it could be considered to hold a sconce, thus lighting tiles around it.

Wormslayer: that transition between water and ground is exactly the sort of thing I would think is possible.. looks great.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:35:35 pm by Harmonica »

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:54 pm »

If you go back to page 142 there is a beta version of the newer changes. Use at your own risk! ;)

I see pages differently cause of either settings or this browser add-on (I can't remember), could you maybe post the link?  I'd really appreciate it.  =)

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2264 on: August 12, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »

Here's another thing. Couldn't you actually light tiles based on their proximity to light sources? Outdoors = full bright, indoors less so. If a wall is engraved, maybe it could be considered to hold a sconce, thus lighting tiles around it.

In theory we can do all kinds of funky things, but there is no way to tell if a tile is outdoors from just tile number and colour :F

And yeah I meant that post, thanks :D
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 329