Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218556 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.49!!!)
« Reply #2805 on: September 24, 2010, 11:24:31 pm »

This is my first time trying ironhand, so I have a question:  is this tile set just dark or did I install incorrectly?  Some of the tiles are extremely dark and I can't see them, they just blend in with the default black of unexplored tiles.  They are there, as I can make out faint lines where they should be an a pebble (lighter colored pixel) here and there but for the most part, it's indecipherable at a glance.  Is that intended to simulate the darkness of underground or...something?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:48 pm »

Something is really messed up here. The dwarf names are messed up(They have boxes if you have true type font turned on, otherwise they have various tiles from the tileset. So is the strike the earth screen and the z-level counter. Also if you have the TTF turned off...

This is my first time trying ironhand, so I have a question:  is this tile set just dark or did I install incorrectly?  Some of the tiles are extremely dark and I can't see them, they just blend in with the default black of unexplored tiles.  Is that intended to simulate the darkness of underground or...something?
The tileset is much darker then usual

I'm going to try using the upgrade thing on a fresh DF installation and see if it produces the same thing

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: September 24, 2010, 11:33:29 pm »

Barring all the quirks, things are starting to look REALLY NICE. Great work Ironhand and Wormslayer!
(BTW Update the OP to have the right version number!)

@fivex:
Yeah, this tileset is designed for TTF turned ON.

The TTF support is incomplete, so there are a few little quirks. Some text (embark text for example) still uses the tileset. But this will be fixed eventually, and it's not really a problem.

For the SQUARES in the TTF, that could be that the font does NOT support all the required special characters, OR that its just another TTF incompleteness.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: September 24, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »

Barring all the quirks, things are starting to look REALLY NICE. Great work Ironhand and Wormslayer!
(BTW Update the OP to have the right version number!)

@fivex:
Yeah, this tileset is designed for TTF turned ON.

The TTF support is incomplete, so there are a few little quirks. Some text (embark text for example) still uses the tileset. But this will be fixed eventually, and it's not really a problem.
For the SQUARES in the TTF, that could be that the font does NOT support all the required special characters, OR that its just another TTF incompleteness.
Still, the dwarf names are messed up :/

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:12 am »

The tileset is much darker then usual

Has there been any talk of a lighter one?  I dig the style and look of the things I can see, but when I can't hardly see the majority of my tunnels, well it's not much use to me.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: September 25, 2010, 01:24:02 am »

I agree that things could stand to be lighter.  The trees on the world map look super-dark, with bright trunks.

Also on the world map, I don't suppose you could make small n and big V look more like hills and badlands, respectively?  Everything else blends in nicely.

Other than that, looks great!  I especially like how the fields look.

Qwazzerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:34 am »

There IS a different color scheme that comes with the tileset.  If you use the default, everything is really dark.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30:29 am »

There IS a different color scheme that comes with the tileset.  If you use the default, everything is really dark.
Er... how do you enable it thne?

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: September 25, 2010, 01:32:09 am »

I just embarked in a cold region - and everything looks more like ash-land then snow.
So yes, we've got to do something about the colors! :)

Besides that, awesome new version, yay! :D

Edit:
Oh and because I didn't mention it a whole lot of time: Ironhand, I fear I STILL prefer the sorted-by-value stone/ore tiles ;)
(The rough-hewn gems are perfect, btw, I love them!)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:36:20 am by Vince »

Qwazzerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: September 25, 2010, 01:34:07 am »

It's a file in the Init folder called Colors.  Though it does make the trees look brown with bright trunks, as someone said.

Qwazzerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: September 25, 2010, 01:36:28 am »

Wait, hold on a sec.  The version of DF that I manually installed the tileset has the correct colors, but the preinstalled version doesn't...
Here is the contents of the Colors.txt file in the manual install.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  Also, the graphics set (creature and dwarf icons) doesn't work in either version for me.  I have no idea what to do...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:39:50 am by Qwazzerman »

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: September 25, 2010, 02:33:45 am »

Nicely done
looks awesome,using it now
The only problem I has now (<see what I did there?) is that the tileset is too small
or in other words Me wanna decrease resolution
zooming out is not possible

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: September 25, 2010, 05:27:21 am »

To zoom in you need
[PRINT_MODE:STANDARD]
instead of
[PRINT_MODE:2D]

in the init.txt

But unfortunately for this tileset, using standard instead of 2D will turn the truetype font off and you'll get very garbled text as shown by fivex in previous posts, due to now the tileset having other symbols in place of most of the text symbols :(

Ah if only that dreaded evil forced 80 horizontal tile limitation was removed, we could play on smaller windows without the very tiny display forced in 2D mode.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:29:59 am by Robsoie »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: September 25, 2010, 05:41:06 am »

Er, no. Zooming works great in 2D mode - at least, it's supposed to, and if it doesn't I want to know about it.

(In fact, it actually works better than in the other modes. Looks nicer, anyway. I've got code that fixes that for.. .15, I'm sure! Probably! *thumbsup*)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: September 25, 2010, 09:02:20 am »

The thing with the messed-up dwarf names is this:

For a long time, I had removed all the fun characters and accents from names,
because I wanted all those extra tiles for other stuff, like levers and butterflies.

But now that we've got ttfs, I put them all back in. However, the ttf support right now
is having a lot of trouble rendering those extra characters. The font in there right now
is a liberation font, so it should have every character you could possibly want.

But they don't show up yet.

Baughn? Help?
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 329