Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120308 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2011, 10:51:03 am »

Okay, thanks for the help, this game has learning curve nearing Dwarf Fortress'. One more question, how do you progress from destroyer class to cruiser class, and from cruiser to dreadnought?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06:12 am »

Okay, thanks for the help, this game has learning curve nearing Dwarf Fortress'. One more question, how do you progress from destroyer class to cruiser class, and from cruiser to dreadnought?
You need techs that would support such large ships. Consider transferring your shipyards into orbit, and alloys more capable of supporting increasing mass.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2011, 11:21:44 am »

Thanks, researching now!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:46 pm »

since amoc, all heavy beams of all fractions have at last 7° "turret" move, witch makes them much more usefull. i use heavy beams in dn fights to strip off turrets a lot, what works like a charm due to the long beam duration and the high point focussed damage.

for the hint not to blow up the vn probes, i dissagree. distroying them will grant a ressource bouns to the system,  and the vn´s are handled as a fraktion by the game. thus they do need ressources to build the berzerkers. if you deny these ressurces no berserks will spawn.
sure, its always a bit of gambling as the ai may mess this up, but usualy ai empires do have pretty strong defences on all planets. just make sure to defend the uncolonised planets as well.  just 3 de with some pd will do the job. sure, this way is a bit risky, but i see berzerks verry verry rarely in my games.
Or you could let it eat 3-4 defense sats and go away, and replace them cheap without any risk of berserkers.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »

since amoc, all heavy beams of all fractions have at last 7° "turret" move, witch makes them much more usefull. i use heavy beams in dn fights to strip off turrets a lot, what works like a charm due to the long beam duration and the high point focussed damage.

for the hint not to blow up the vn probes, i dissagree. distroying them will grant a ressource bouns to the system,  and the vn´s are handled as a fraktion by the game. thus they do need ressources to build the berzerkers. if you deny these ressurces no berserks will spawn.
sure, its always a bit of gambling as the ai may mess this up, but usualy ai empires do have pretty strong defences on all planets. just make sure to defend the uncolonised planets as well.  just 3 de with some pd will do the job. sure, this way is a bit risky, but i see berzerks verry verry rarely in my games.
Or you could let it eat 3-4 defense sats and go away, and replace them cheap without any risk of berserkers.

You even get additional resource points added to your planet when you do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »

If you care enough to manage the battle you can just blow up the gatherer pyramid things until the mothership goes away.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »

You need techs that would support such large ships. Consider transferring your shipyards into orbit
I laughed at this.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2011, 12:17:59 am »

If you care enough to manage the battle you can just blow up the gatherer pyramid things until the mothership goes away.

That's what I usually do.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2011, 01:25:28 am »

Alright, I've settled for the Hivers, they really match my playstyle. Anyway, I only have a very short time of internet connection here, so I've got to type this quick: what the hell does over budget mean?

Hivers are the best... you may be the slowest guy in the galaxy when expanding / conquering, but only you have a planet, you have it for good. Full fleet defense in every planet... gateways rules. Plus, super strong ships. And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also like Morrigi, super good techs, kinda fast travel, and awesome economy; but I dont like too much their ship designs... too noisy :/

I never noticed zuul DN had turreted beams!! I guess I never got that far with a zull oponent alive. They tend to win early, but once mid-late game hits, they are too far behind other empires.

I've found the heavy Mass Drivers from Argos Naval Shipyard to be the best late game weapon I could have hoped for.  They have excellent range and hits send enemy ships spinning out of control like crazy before they can even attack.

Heavy drivers are just too sexy

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:32 am »

I also like Morrigi, super good techs, kinda fast travel, and awesome economy; but I dont like too much their ship designs... too noisy :/

A large morrigi fleet can have utterly obscene speeds. Faster even than humans along node lines (over 30 I recall correctly)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2011, 04:14:09 am »

The Flock drive is awesome because it makes you exponentially deadlier.  The bigger your fleet is the faster it moves, so the easier it is to launch surprise attacks.  of course this doesn't work against the damned dirty Hivers where you just have to rust the gate with everything you've got and hope for the best.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2011, 04:25:07 am »

A large morrigi fleet can have utterly obscene speeds. Faster even than humans along node lines (over 30 I recall correctly)

exactly, that's why they are my favorites second only to Hivers and their instant travel :p
The biggest problem with Morrigi is reinforcing the fleet with ships that are being made in the inner parts of the empire, they take for ever.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:38 am »

The Flock drive is awesome because it makes you exponentially deadlier.  The bigger your fleet is the faster it moves, so the easier it is to launch surprise attacks.  of course this doesn't work against the damned dirty Hivers where you just have to rust the gate with everything you've got and hope for the best.

I hate when they kill my gates  >:(

That's why I always have a couple of reverse ones per system :P

As a hiver player, I can say the best way to attack one (me in this case) is launching multiple small simultaneous attacks to various systems, coordinating their arrivals to a same turn. As I usually rely only on my Fleet for defense (full fleet anywhere I need, instantly), I dont get too much satellites.  A multi front attack means that at least some systems will be rendered gateless (even the reserve gates would be killed, as they would enter combat without other ships to fight for them), and to a Hiver, a gateless system is a lost system

Another problem are Humans/Zuul with a planet too close to one of mine (and with a node in betwen), as those are 1 turn travel attacks, so I dont get the warning turn to move the fleet into position

Anyways, I think the Hiver have the best defense in the game (practically imposible to break without the way I mentioned above), which fits perfectly in my play style, overall defensive, with a slow but contant and focused agression.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 04:37:31 am by Krelian »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:00 am »

exactly, that's why they are my favorites second only to Hivers and their instant travel :p

the gates... blessig and curse of the hivers.

late game, i always find gate capacity to low to support sufficient large fleets, and one is screwed if facing attacks from multiple directions. especially vs human players, with will use sensor jammers and decoy fleets.
when i play hivers, i usualy end up using gates for defense only, and have my attack fleets slowboating to the target. due to the slow speed this requires verry large and focussed fleet, of cause.
the hivers excellent industrial output helps a lot here, but fleet mainainence costs are always a serious problem for me when playing the bugs.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:22:36 pm by motorbitch »

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

Well, Hivers aren't impossible to break.

In the late game, should it get there, they can have problems with unpredictable attacks. Pretty much everyone except the humans and other hivers can reach your worlds in one turn in a fairly unpredictable manner, as they can traverse the distance in only 1 turn.
Humans are just as fast, but you at least know what routes they can follow into your space.

And yeah, as mentioned, this can either be a problem through multi-pronged attacks, or a death fleet raping one specific target and overwhelming the defenses.

Granted, this is a threat for everyone, not just the Hivers, but it's a big deal for them since their rapid defense is otherwise a key advantage.

Now, if there's a significant buffer space or a good distance between worlds, their advantage stays pretty strong.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 55