Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120252 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2011, 01:06:51 pm »

'kay, I'm at turn ~160 now with the Hivers and they have pretty much killed everything they have touched. My initial defence fleet (all destroyers with a repair cruiser attached later in the game) have single-handedly taken out a good chunk of the enemies army. Also, which is better? Heavy drivers or bursters?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »

'kay, I'm at turn ~160 now with the Hivers and they have pretty much killed everything they have touched. My initial defence fleet (all destroyers with a repair cruiser attached later in the game) have single-handedly taken out a good chunk of the enemies army. Also, which is better? Heavy drivers or bursters?

Depends ;)

If your fighting smaller ships then bursters otherwise heavy drivers. As your talking about destroyers you might want to mix in a number of bursters and only a few drivers for crusier class.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2011, 02:02:48 pm »

Just so you know, those destroyers were my main fleet of armour from turn ~35, I've just kept them repaired so that they can fight to the last man. I mostly use cruisers and dreadnoughts now, with a few destroyer tankers to keep my army fuelled. On another note, and enemy fleet of ~10 destroyers attacked a single dreadnought that was moving from system to system was destroyed without doing any damage to the dreadnought.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

I can honestly say I have no idea how to play this game.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »

Click on things until you get a response that you like. Repeat until more complex responses happen. After that, just roll with it.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »

My advice is to play the tutorial.

Anyway, I can safely say that this is my new favourite game of the year, I just went through to around turn 220 without even taking over an enemy planet and then sent my huge force of dreadnoughts to eat him.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2011, 06:09:42 pm »

Also, which is better? Heavy drivers or bursters?

HEAVY DRIVERS!!!!

Seriously, the most awesome weapon in the game. There may be some weapons with more accuracy, or better dps... but damn, seeing enemy ships spin out of control going backwards, only to die moments later, all from mega cannons on ships they cant even see yet.... is priceless

I guess you never played Moo, or Moo2.... any previous 4x experience at least?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:11:54 pm by Krelian »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2011, 06:36:02 pm »

Oh come on. Bursters are so much !FUN!

Especially if you field like 50 of them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

You know what you should try? DF Racks. Just keep upgrading them as you keep teching up.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2011, 06:50:44 pm »

You know what you should try? DF Racks. Just keep upgrading them as you keep teching up.
DF Racks also get better with some ballistic tech. They're lots of fun.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:58 pm »

HEAVY DRIVERS!!!!

Seriously, the most awesome weapon in the game.

i always found the fusion cannon to be the one most fortune changing tech in game.
early midgame, when one usually can not afford to put to much credits into weapons, they can put serious havoc onto the cr-mono-fleets the ai will feed you with.

but sure, its not the most awesome weapon in game. if i had to pick one? phaser-pd^^, i think. frees so many small mounts for dps weapons.
damage whise, an antimatter heavy cannon will never let you down. except the enemy  has absorbers of cause. in this case, youŽd be so totally screwed with am-hc

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »

Hiver destroyer swarm with AM cannons and AI fire control = superdeath

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2011, 02:07:22 am »

I remember when DF racks used to work in strafe sections.

Zuul strafe cruisers with DF racks. The missile spray was GLORIOUS.

Shame they disallowed it. Probably because of lag reasons. Several of those cruisers firing at once was brutal on the framerate.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »

Just bought the collection for $20 (and shaved 2$ off by coupon hunting first), going to try it out; last 'real' space 4x I've played is MoO2 (3 doesn't count).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 14, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »

Just bought the collection for $20 (and shaved 2$ off by coupon hunting first), going to try it out; last 'real' space 4x I've played is MoO2 (3 doesn't count).

you will be happy. i like to think of it as Moo3 as it should have been.

Did you play Moo1?

I like to think of SotS as a mid point betwen Moo1 and 2. It have a moo2 style tech, ship building, and economy, but a moo1 style planet management. Its the perfect mix IMO, as in Moo2 planet (buildings) management would get a bit of overwhelming after having more than 10+ planets.

Battles are a bit like Moo2, but slow realtime instead of turns. You can pause to give better instructions anyways.

Races are not as differenciated as Moo2 IMO, but they do have diferent ways of traveling. Most races (morrigi, tarkas, and liir) use a variation of Moo2 travel, while Humans and zull use a Moo3 starlines travel style. Hivers uses portals.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55