Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119540 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #435 on: October 19, 2011, 03:22:29 pm »

Bump. Sword of the Stars: Complete is $5 on Steam and Gamersgate.

This is because SotS2 is coming out the 28th.
And there was much rejoicing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 19, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »

Better check out some of the early video from beta build, the graphic engine is seriously awesome. Don't know about the game mechanics yet, but I saw some tidbits that sounds interesting :p

Also, leviathans kick all kind of ass.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:47 am »

i cant play anything but hive, the drive complexities of other races drive me insane :(

I always get caught with my fleet out of place as enemy fleets float in from unexpected angles, and my colonies seem to be all over the place (not an issue at all as hive).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2011, 09:58:01 am »

i cant play anything but hive, the drive complexities of other races drive me insane :(

I always get caught with my fleet out of place as enemy fleets float in from unexpected angles, and my colonies seem to be all over the place (not an issue at all as hive).
Complexities? The Tarkas is the simplest of all the drives. You just go to your destination. Humans use the same model as games like ascendancy. Liir are the same as Tarkas but they slow down near gravity wells.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 20, 2011, 11:07:54 am »

Stop placing your colonies all over the place? It is a 3D map and you need to be thinking about that when colonizing and/or going to war with other races.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:04 pm »

Yeah, if anything the Hive are the 2nd most complex in terms of propulsion (the Zuul being the trickiest to manage). Not that I don't love playing as the Hive, because it allows you to keep your defense fleet in one big group and respond to any incursions in time to intercept. The only way to really fight that is to time your attacks so that you hit multiple Hive worlds in a single turn.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #441 on: October 20, 2011, 12:33:23 pm »

Yeah, if anything the Hive are the 2nd most complex in terms of propulsion (the Zuul being the trickiest to manage). Not that I don't love playing as the Hive, because it allows you to keep your defense fleet in one big group and respond to any incursions in time to intercept. The only way to really fight that is to time your attacks so that you hit multiple Hive worlds in a single turn.
When I'm playing against the Hive (my buddy -loves- them) I set up about a dozen fleets, all with jammers, set to hit a dozen different colonies all at once. Most of the fleets just have a jammer and a few token combat ships, but there are 3 main fleets with the actual attack forces. He calls it Lizard Roulette because he never knows which ones to defend against and which to ignore. (lizard because I play Tarkas a lot)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 20, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

When I'm playing against the Hive (my buddy -loves- them) I set up about a dozen fleets, all with jammers, set to hit a dozen different colonies all at once. Most of the fleets just have a jammer and a few token combat ships, but there are 3 main fleets with the actual attack forces. He calls it Lizard Roulette because he never knows which ones to defend against and which to ignore. (lizard because I play Tarkas a lot)

That... is genious! *stolen*

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 20, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »

Has any had any luck with Morrigi colony and asteroid tricksters? I've never been able to successfully position them anywhere besides backwater planets noone bothers to go to.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #444 on: October 20, 2011, 01:59:04 pm »

Has any had any luck with Morrigi colony and asteroid tricksters? I've never been able to successfully position them anywhere besides backwater planets noone bothers to go to.
I toss colony traps randomly along borders between my enemies, especially once I know what planets they like to settle. If I run across a planet that is fantastic to another race but terrible for me I trap it. I rarely use the asteroid traps.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 21, 2011, 06:04:35 am »

If your playing as morrgi then it's possible to build a fleet which moves faster than the distance of most scanners so they don't get the one turn warning before you arrive. This also stops the hive intercept tactic :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 21, 2011, 02:24:50 pm »

If your playing as morrgi then it's possible to build a fleet which moves faster than the distance of most scanners so they don't get the one turn warning before you arrive. This also stops the hive intercept tactic :)

This is also possible with Humans, and I also believe Zuul. If the planets are particularly close, its even possible with Tarka I believe. Liir get slowed down by the planet unfortunately, and its pretty rare, if it happens at all, they can arrive in one turn. But generally, once anti-matter stage is reached, the Hiver better be winning, or their going to be hard pressed to defend all their planets.

My own strategy against the Hiver is to simply have a fleet go to a planet destination that is beyond the intended target. Once its in range to reach the target and one or more other colonies in one turn, I divert course to one of those colonies.  This only works with Tarka and Morrigi, of course.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 21, 2011, 02:51:39 pm »

Personally, I get deep scanners up at my colonies for better advance notice ASAP. It's especially important as I play Liir, who seem to have horribly slow ship movement and need to keep defense fleets at each colony. For them, if someone is coming to attack it, it's generally faster to build more ships at a colony to defend it than to try to send more from another (they'd never arrive in time).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #448 on: October 21, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »

Personally, I get deep scanners up at my colonies for better advance notice ASAP. It's especially important as I play Liir, who seem to have horribly slow ship movement and need to keep defense fleets at each colony. For them, if someone is coming to attack it, it's generally faster to build more ships at a colony to defend it than to try to send more from another (they'd never arrive in time).
Once I'm in that age every planet has a deep scanner and a jammer so they never know what is defending it and I (hopefully) see them from a good distance.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 21, 2011, 05:00:27 pm »

Is there any way to make it stop repeating the same sentence at the beginning of every single turn?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55