Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: "Choice of" Games  (Read 17356 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Choice of" Games
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2010, 06:59:53 pm »

Except that Choice of Broadsides covered the story in a way true to the time period.

Unless you play a woman.  Also, what time period?  It doesn't even take place on earth.
I'm pretty sure the "Napoleonic Era" was mentioned somewhere in it.

Not to mention "Gaul" and "Albion" are pretty obviously France and Great Britain respectively.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2010, 07:11:14 pm »

If they wanted it to be set in reality they would have names the countries France and Britain.  They specifically didn't so that they could take liberties, like the whole magic sex change thing.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2010, 11:02:09 pm »

Do you miss the point on purpose all the time, or what?

Think of it as an alternate timeline.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:22 pm »

Do you miss the point on purpose all the time, or what?

Well I've apparently missed your point this time.  Care to explain it or are you just going to ask demeaning rhetorical questions?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:29:17 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:35 am »

How does an alternate time line explain women and men switching roles completely?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2010, 01:30:10 am »

Look, if you're asking that question, you're not thinking hard enough.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2010, 01:31:25 am »

let's just drop this and try to get that happy ending with the Gaul!

So far, I've got nothing. I've tried tons of different chars and such, but to no avail.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2010, 01:33:43 am »

Look, if you're asking that question, you're not thinking hard enough.

Uh huh...  That's really productive.

Look.  It's a fantasy game that tries to roughly emulate the real world age of sail in terms of technology and culture.  It's not a game based on the real world age of sail.  It is to the real world age of Sail and Mount and Blade is the the real world Middle Ages, except that choosing to play a female character makes everything backwards.

let's just drop this and try to get that happy ending with the Gaul!

So far, I've got nothing. I've tried tons of different chars and such, but to no avail.

Until someone finds something out about it there's nothing else to say.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2010, 07:15:49 am »

How does an alternate time line explain women and men switching roles completely?
I'll try to answer that.
First I need you to do something for me, forget that you can play as a male character (because, yes, 2 stories that are identical in story and all characters, save for their gender are kinda absurd). Now on to female dominated Age of Sail.

Since ancient times there have been societies on earth where women were warriors and leaders. If one such society were to develop to a technologically advanced state there is no doubt women would  be sailing ships (and men would knit them sweaters at home). There are a number of objections you can raise to this:
  • Women are small/weak/lack spatial reasoning: being small (the difference by the is less then the standard deviation) means women would have to carry less supplies, and there is no evidence to support men being better at either navigation or reading maps
  • What about pregnancy: Well, yes that would cause problems, but not as many as you think. Life on a ship isn't usually that hard (unless there was a change in weather, course or a chance of violence, officers would usually have to invent ways to occupy sailors (like washing the ship)), and they did have some rudimentary medical facilities. So it would possible to excuse anyone who is pregnant from their contract and leave them in the next port (again this seems harsh, but life was generally harsh for sailors back then).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2010, 07:45:36 am »

There are many other things that would be different, and aren't.  I mean, there's a simple matter of estrogen versus testosterone.  The world isn't just the way it is today because of some lie perpetuated by men to keep women down.  Sure there are several of those, but that's far from the primary cause of the way things are today, and were in the time that this game is most similar to.  Men are, on average, larger, stronger, and more aggressive than women.  I don't think I need to prove that, though feel free to disagree.  The whole idea is highly implausible and I'm pretty sure wasn't meant to be plausible.  It was just a concession to those who wanted to play as a female without actually having to put any real work into it.

Really, it's an (doubtlessly completely unintentional) insult to feminism if ever there was one.  It diminishes the struggles women have had to endure over the centuries to gain what rights and respect they have.  It's like that stupid "dress guys up in high heels to show your condemnation of sexual abuse" walk we have at my school every year.  It's got no message except maybe, we're willing to make ourselves look stupid and be very uncomfortable to show you we care that people get raped.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 07:47:39 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2010, 07:47:35 am »

*rolls eyes*
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2010, 07:49:57 am »

Way to contribute to the thread. ::)

You could have at least said something like, "I don't like this current discussion but have nothing meaningful to add so I will just offer my condemnation of you."

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:24 am »

It's just a game, man. They made the woman option for fun, and the funny idea of men staying at home and all that.
::)
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:47 am »

the funny idea of men staying at home and all that.
to quote yourself, *rolls eyes*
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10