Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 83853 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Now has a wiki--
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2010, 03:59:49 pm »

Yay, it works.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks guys!
And what's up with itemcorpse?
Is amethyst an actual rock? - EDIT: Never mind, I found out that it is a gem.

(Yes, this is a modified version of the creature called amethyst)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:58:44 am by addictgamer »
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2010, 01:05:57 pm »

Anyone know if it is possible to create Magma through a reaction?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2010, 01:09:04 pm »

I don't think so. Only thing I could figure out how to make was water to go into barrels. (you couldn't irrigate with it.)

Another vote for no sticky... I would like an explanation if you're up for it... If it's a problem with the guide, I could try to make it better...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »

Alright, just a heads up, edited a post to contain majority of the tokens. Give it a looksee.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »

Nice! I think it'll come in handy ;)
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2010, 05:59:50 pm »

I know it's on the string dump thing, but I get tired of having to look that thing over for what I want... Think it being on here may just be easier for some people.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:05 am »

Your still missing some tokens, mostly the ones further down the list. Creature tokens, material definition tokens, enitity tokens, item definition tokens, etc...

Its nice having it in a more orderly structure like that though. Should help out newer modders.

Maybe you could group them according to what raw file they go in?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #247 on: May 19, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »

I'll probably get down to that eventually.

I wanted to just get some on here for starters and see what people thought.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2010, 02:45:46 pm »

I like the token lists! Much better division. I had difficulties with how the modding portion of  the wiki was arranged last time (though it got better towards the end), hopefully this will jump start others' efforts.

Question: setting aside reactions/workshops for now - does anyone know how radically different caste stuff can be? Can entirely different icons be used? (or even different colours?) How about the babies and children, can they change radically (grow wings! Leave the water and become amphibious! Gain buildingdestroyer! LOSE buildingdestroyer... etc) on adulthood? Basically, I have some ambitious ideas and want to know what is feasable.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »

Deon is your best bet, I'm using his Genesis mod and he has a lot of custom castes for dwarfs.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 20, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

Question: setting aside reactions/workshops for now - does anyone know how radically different caste stuff can be? Can entirely different icons be used? (or even different colours?) How about the babies and children, can they change radically (grow wings! Leave the water and become amphibious! Gain buildingdestroyer! LOSE buildingdestroyer... etc) on adulthood? Basically, I have some ambitious ideas and want to know what is feasable.

Got this at the top of my to-do list of creatures (that doesn't seem to be getting any shorter)

Quote from: Toady One on September 11, 2009, 05:04:38 AM (But arranged into bullet points by me)
The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small. 
Creatures handle
-the overall name,
-biome,
-whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art),
-vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now),
-whether groups hang together closely,
-whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes),
-population information including good/evil/savage,
-if it is equipment,
-sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances),
-and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides,
like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2010, 04:28:29 pm »

Well, that's some good news Lancensis, thanks.

But dang:
-vermin information
-whether groups hang together closely,
-population information

Those were on my list of hopefully changeable.
As for this:
-if it is equipment,
what does that even mean? As in, if it's a wagon?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2010, 07:17:56 pm »

Hi there... back again. I'm still trying to mod the same creatures into the game. Both the creature and the entity were at the very top. It worked for a while, then I noticed I had an extra file named entity_aarocockra sitting around in the folder. I moved it, and now it won't work, no matter what I do.
The files are as follows:

Spoiler: Creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Entity (click to show/hide)

When I try putting them as separate files I put creature_aarocockra and entity_aarocockra (these are the file names as well) at the top, but this seems to  have the odd side effects of letting me play as a goblin in adventure mode.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #253 on: May 20, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »

First I'd like to say... GAH! so many creature modding questions >.< Looks like I really got to learn that stuff.

Anyways...

What if you put the entity listing in the entity_default?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 20, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »

@Lokii:

Take a look at what I did in Civilization Forge. Every creature/entity combination has their own files, so I know you don't need to put them into entity_default.

Did you have
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

and
[OBJECT:ENTITY]

in those files?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29