Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 84141 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --redesigning--
« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »

There we go. I like the way this version looks for the Reaction Modding Information.

Give it a look see and let me know what you think.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2010, 07:20:27 pm »

There we go. I like the way this version looks for the Reaction Modding Information.

Give it a look see and let me know what you think.
I'm definitely liking this layout. The wiki is still a bit incomplete when it comes to tokens, so it's nice to have a more complete version in one place.

The only problem I can imagine is that in its current layout, it seems pretty easily mergable with the wiki's pages for reactions and tokens, and it's not really much of a guide as it is a reference page. But really, I suppose there's not a whole lot to expand on with reactions, so I guess there's not much you can do about that. Additionally, the wiki has the added advantage of being able to cleanly describe each token a bit more in-depth to provide a simple description or example, because of the way the tokens are laid out in a spreadsheet. The wiki includes reagent modifiers as well. There's also a discrepancy between your guide and the wiki's definition of the <CHANCE> token.

Honestly, I think you'll have to tackle each section differently. This layout works fine for describing reactions, but iI don't think it'll work nearly as well if you're going to describe how to mod a new creature or how to mod new body parts.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

Well each post will be suited to what it is describing. I have the "useful pages" post for a reason :P

I'm aware there's a lot of information on the wiki that is way easier to explain with how it works, but some people don't even go on the wiki... From the way I've noticed the chance token work is just as I describe it. I haven't seen otherwise, I could do more testing on it, but as far as I can tell, it's the way I said it is. Unless... it actually for example counts down or keeps track of the chance. Like it'll only occur 1 out of 20 times and not any more. I don't know... I'll need testing...

Anyways... I'll probably move more information on the guide to the wiki guide. This thread isn't stickied, so I'd rather it be some where more... reliable?

I personally like only having to go to one of my guides and have all the modding information I need there. I get tired of searching through the wiki for exactly what it is I want.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 29, 2010, 08:16:27 pm »

For KKK (:o) you may want to mention what a higher percentage will do.  Such as 50 gives you a 50% chance of getting that product, 100 gives 100% chance, 1 gives 1% chance.  Then newbies won't get confused.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:19:03 pm by xtank5 »
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #364 on: June 29, 2010, 08:18:34 pm »

I knew someone was gunna do something about the whole KKK thing... lol

Good plan, I'll do that.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --new general ideas post--
« Reply #365 on: July 14, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »

Hey guys... UPDATE!

Post 3 has a bunch of your generic questions and I tried to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Give em a look. :D

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Shaostoul's Modding Guide - General Information
« Reply #366 on: July 14, 2010, 07:36:33 pm »

REMEMBER THAT A REACTION MADE ITEM WILL NOT HAVE QUALITY LEVELS, FOR QUALITY LEVELS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO MAKE IT!

Does this mean custom workshop/reactions can now have improved quality?
It seems so. A reaction I tested a short while ago created a +quality+ item among a few non-quality items in Fortress mode. Not sure how much skill enters the equation.

I think we need to test this a bit more, on both sides.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #367 on: July 14, 2010, 07:40:03 pm »

Must be something new. If you feel like testing, I'd be more than willing to change it.

I'm not really in the testing mood. I have my Areloram level going... Draining the ocean takes a long time.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 14, 2010, 10:46:10 pm »

Consider me officially requesting information on research and locking items out until research is complete. I just can't figure it out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 15, 2010, 06:34:51 am »

Can minerals be spawned inside themselves as an environment? For example, can Gold veins be sourced inside Gold veins? I ask because unlike other environments, I'm not sure if the game would like it if an entry referenced within itself. I would like to know for the purposes of having longer veins of minerals, which are much more epic.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:13 am »

Consider me officially requesting information on research and locking items out until research is complete. I just can't figure it out.

If you mean the ability to restrict dwarves from making, say, breastplates until they'd researched advanced armor making then I think it is impossible right now.

HOWEVER, you could do this to a limited extent with items dwarves don't normally make. Like Long Swords. You could have a 'research workshop' that requires a longsword as a reaction input and produces a 'longsword forging technique' tablet as part of the product. That tablet could then be required to build a new special forge which would then allow the creation of Longswords. Although they'll probably be no-quality longswords.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:46 am »

If you mean the ability to restrict dwarves from making, say, breastplates until they'd researched advanced armor making then I think it is impossible right now.

What if you took breastplates and whatnot out of the entity raw?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:52 am »

What if you took breastplates and whatnot out of the entity raw?

Hehe. I was *just* coming back here to mention that...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 15, 2010, 10:28:58 am »

Good. That means I'm on the right track. I wonder, then, if one could unlock things like different swords in game and then make them at the forge to get quality items?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:59 am »

Good. That means I'm on the right track. I wonder, then, if one could unlock things like different swords in game and then make them at the forge to get quality items?

Not as far as I know. The Forge goes off of the items your civ has access to, and I don't think that's changeable. The most you can probably do is make custom workshops for each item you want to research.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29