Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213772 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #435 on: May 19, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »

Okay, so I'm new to DF, but I've been playing 0.28 in linux for a few weeks now. I downloaded 0.31.04, and it simply won't start up. Anyone know what the deal could be? I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, Hardy Heron. Thanks.
Try to run it from a terminal window. Does it say anything specific as it refuses to start? You could be missing some vital packet. I was. Have you mucked about with the graphics settings? Same results every time?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 19, 2010, 03:52:32 pm »

Ahoy. Mantis says the [graphics: YES] crash bug has been fixed.

Confirmation? May I go to my Maydaying?

It actually appears that the "resolved" bug was merely closed as it was a duplicate of another entry.

This link leads to the "official" issue.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1911

hans otterson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:14 pm »

Terminal just barely flashes in my dock and then closes. I'll mess around with the graphics and see what's what.

I don't know what a packet is.

EDIT: I messed around with the graphics as much as I know how (changing the resolution and setting them to "YES"). Still nada.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:56:45 pm by hans otterson »

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »

Ahoy. Mantis says the [graphics: YES] crash bug has been fixed.

Confirmation? May I go to my Maydaying?

It actually appears that the "resolved" bug was merely closed as it was a duplicate of another entry.

This link leads to the "official" issue.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1911

Well then. Back to twiddling my thumbs.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

Terminal just barely flashes in my dock and then closes.
Yeah, it does that. Open a terminal window first, and then run DF from it. If you hate terminal windows, you can simply drag-and-drop the df launcher into it. :)
EDIT: I messed around with the graphics as much as I know how (changing the resolution and setting them to "YES"). Still nada.
The thing that could break things is the [PRINT_MODE] setting. Try switching that around.

hans otterson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 19, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »

The terminal gave me this error: "./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I tried pretty much every Print Mode, too, and no luck. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:02 pm »

Seriously, I'm playing with a fairly cheap laptop bought over an year ago (HP 6735s) and I'm able to kick 58fps with 57 dwarves. SHADER seems to work the best, but ACCUM_BUFFER and FRAME_BUFFER still give me a nice ~55fps. With 31.03 this would be unplayable for me ..

I don't know what is your definition of "fairly old", but even my old desk computer makes better FPS than this laptop. And that fella has an 8-year old GPU (radeon 9600), though the processor is a bit newer dual core.

Well, duh. That is pretty much my point. XP SP3, an AMD Athlon with 2Ghz and an ATI Radeon X800 XT PE (with newest drivers) should be enough to give an ok game speed and make use of any code improvements from SDL. Instead it rather halves my speed vrs 31.03 depending on settings. 40d indeed was playable on a 10 year old 500Mhz Intel with onboard graphics.

But we are all digging in the dark anyway (ahah!) unless somebody knows the first thing about what the options do. Maybe the magic combination of PRINT_MODE SINGLE_BUFFER G_FPS_CAP ARB_SYNC VSYNC that works for me is out there..

(50 dwarves, weather off, temp off, small world, 2x2 embark, no roaming animals, brook, 24(21)FPS - Playable, but much slower than it should be.) What actually bugs me more is that none of the options really seem to change anything much.

You know what, the .04 "legacy" version only gives me 31 FPS (although the dwarves actually seem to move faster), so i'll just say f*** this bugfest, I'm off and will return in a few months when the gamebreaking bugs are out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:39:44 pm by blinking icons »
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 19, 2010, 04:36:31 pm »

The terminal gave me this error: "./dwarfort.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

I tried pretty much every Print Mode, too, and no luck. Thanks for helping me figure this out.
Why don't you install OpenAL then?

Rex_nex: Does that include the 2D mode?

(Oh, and also - guys, there is no shader mode. There isn't any point. You'd gain more from using a dual-core CPU.)
Häh? I thought it was still included since the shader files are still there. I suppose it defaults to STANDARD if I've been using SHADER?

So i dug through the graphic library source a bit and made a version actually working with graphic. I attached the modified source here along with a pre-compiled library for Linux. I changed quite a bit of stuff wile digging as i think many would agree with me that this is messy code, but the main place to look is in textures.cpp::testTextureSize, am lazy and mostly only commented the check out (it's almost impossible for it to fail legitimately anyway). Enjoy and might the Schwartz be with you. Note that i only tested the 2D mode and wouldn't be surprised if nothing else work with this version.
Ow, download limit reached.

(50 dwarves, weather off, temp off, small world, 2x2 embark, no roaming animals, brook, 24(21)FPS - Playable, but much slower than it should be.) What actually bugs me more is that none of the options really seem to change anything much.
I put G_FPS_CAP to 10. I'm guessing that the number inside the brackets is your current G_FPS. Mine howers between 8-10 during playing. I think it's enough, and hopefully more computing power is left for the .. pathfinding and stuff.

- edit -
I guess G_FPS_CAP default was actually 20, well, that drops my frame rate by almost 10.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:42:11 pm by voneiden »

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 19, 2010, 04:46:06 pm »

Well sorry for the rapidshare link i had no idea about the download limit, if someone else want to host it, feel free to do so. We can't sadly attach file here as far as i can see. http://www.mediafire.com/?jgzhmjozjym (hope this wont be limited to a petty 10 upload too...).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 19, 2010, 04:50:00 pm »

The DF File Depot is an ideal place to host DF-related files.  There are no download limits.

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »

Yeah, you're missing the package libopenal1. Fire up Synaptic and do a search for it, or just type "sudo apt-get install libopenal1" in a terminal.

DoX

• Bay Watcher
  • No, seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:17 pm »

There you go http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2379

So, this is Linux only? Or can I use it for the Windows release. If so, where do I place the files?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 19, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »

Rex_nex: Does that include the 2D mode?
Yessir. Just fired it up again. Here's a screenshot, and my init file.

Init:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jonharson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:29 pm »

There you go http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2379

So, this is Linux only? Or can I use it for the Windows release. If so, where do I place the files?

It's Linux only, if Baughn or Toady don't release a fixed version soon i could probably crack my way through a windows version too later tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 55