Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1986998 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.12] [V4.2]
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2010, 04:51:02 pm »

I rarely, if ever, troll. Maybe I overreact and exaggerate a little, but what I said wasn't an attempt at trolling. I just really think that all these attempts to make the game easier (to learn, to look at, to play) are extremely counter-productive in the long run.
I disagree, by allowing the players to do these things, it takes the load off of our very generous games programmer and gives his talent a wider audience to be appreciated by. It doesn't hurt us if more people are brought into the game, even if they prefer graphics or need a little help understanding the game itself at the beginning. In fact it may show us fun ways to play the game that we hadn't already thought of.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »

Indeed. Making a complex game slightly more accessible lets people enjoy the game who may otherwise be struggling with the setup, or who don't know where/how to start. Its also helpful to vets who are tired of dealing with a small bit of unnecessary tedium. It does not instantly attract "casual gamers" (however you want to define that).
Also "Casual gamers" are not necessarily stupid and annoying people who will muck up the forums. If they are willing to give DF a try, then they are making a brave step outside of "casual games" and should be aided in their quest for knowledge and self-improvement :P.

Us dealing with the messy and unguided learning of the basic game setup and mechanics, and the existence/location of utilities and resources, means that we were willing to wade through crud and time to figure this thing out. I don't think it makes us somehow better for having been that interested and dedicated to learning the game. Some people won't be instantly interested in the game, until they are given a bit of help to play it first.

Really all this is is a .zip file, and a few helpful resources put into place, which will hopefully inspire interest and exploration into the game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:43:39 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2010, 10:54:00 am »

I wouldn't mind seeing some basic mods included. Nothing world-changing, but things like the display case have worked out really well for me. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2010, 11:22:45 am »

I, IMHO, like seeing things like the Lazy Newb Pack. I mean, we were all n00bz once, and it's not a bad thing to extend a hand if someone needs help. Pretty much everyone on this board has been really nice to me since I started, and it makes for a really great overall experience, and augments my enjoyment of DF that much more.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2010, 07:41:00 pm »

I, IMHO, like seeing things like the Lazy Newb Pack. I mean, we were all n00bz once, and it's not a bad thing to extend a hand if someone needs help. Pretty much everyone on this board has been really nice to me since I started, and it makes for a really great overall experience, and augments my enjoyment of DF that much more.

I couldn't agree with you more. This game has one of the best communities I've ever seen. There's is almost no infighting and everyone is very helpful. This was one of the first things I noticed when I got here.

Dreaming

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:29 am »

I couldn't agree with you more. This game has one of the best communities I've ever seen. There's is almost no infighting and everyone is very helpful. This was one of the first things I noticed when I got here.

:) I agree!! (As a dwarf fortress noob!)

SOoo nice here.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2010, 01:42:20 pm »

stfu gtfo newbs
*pulls lever* damn soapmakers

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2010, 05:48:07 pm »

when I clicked on the dwarf fortress application only the left half of the consol showed anything
The great game of Warlocks!

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »

stfu gtfo newbs
*pulls lever* damn soapmakers

hehe, I was kinda waiting for this comment!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »

eh, if we treated real people the same way we treat our dwarves, this "newb pack" would be the real life equivalent of a magma drowning chamber... surprising we're such a welcoming community, eh? i guess that deep within ourselves, we are all a bunch of elves

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:49 pm »

There's a bunch more cool utilities that would really go sweet with the LNP. Instead of thinking about packing everything that's cool in, I've added a bunch of links.
There are a few utilities which would just be awkward to include anyways, like Soundsense which would add like 60mb, and Mouse Fortress which requires AutoHotKey to be installed to work.
Definitely all recommended to be checked out!

I've cleaned up the OP as well. I shortened the "Alternative Tileset" part, someone tell me if It needs to be improved at all and if it all makes sense.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:53 am »

when I clicked on the dwarf fortress application only the left half of the consol showed anything

try maximising your window (or minimising then maximising - or any kind of resizeing). had the same issue using vbo draw mode (best for my setup)...
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2010, 08:09:59 am »

try maximising your window (or minimising then maximising - or any kind of resizeing). had the same issue using vbo draw mode (best for my setup)...

Edit: MaximumZero canceled being retarded: Realized he was being retarded.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:23:34 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Coolsnarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2010, 09:25:16 am »

when i try to download the pack it won't open because of an error? Is the file corrupted?

Chaos Freeplumber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2010, 09:51:12 am »

How do you turn economy back on if it's off as a default?
ou have struck platinum!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 137