Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1986947 times)

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.12] [V4.6] - Updated Stonesense!
« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2010, 09:18:31 pm »

@Still Standing: If you or anyone else would put together a few useful quickfort files, that would be incredibly awesome! I'd just have to remember to include them every time... Also would they work for both versions of Quickfort?

@Dwarven Smokeologist: Keeping advanced utilities another folder deep is a good idea. I had the idea myself once but forgot. I shall do that for next pack.

I have several in 1 .xls file, which only works with QF 2.0, but I can seperate them to a file that works for both versions if you want.

Man, I don't even know how to use Quickfort, even after the Readme. Could someone put together a comprehensive howto for 'tards, please?

Eh?  Run it while DF is running, follow instructions on tooltips.  There is nothing else to it.
Diggy diggy hole.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

Thank you. That should do nicely. See? I am a tard.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »

I guess if you didn't know how to use it, you might not run it at all. :p
Diggy diggy hole.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »

I have several in 1 .xls file, which only works with QF 2.0, but I can seperate them to a file that works for both versions if you want.
Eh, if its for the newer version, no need for an older port as well. Prolly will move away from v1.11, so that'd be cool.

I'll accept any other extras anyone else wants to throw in too!
Particularly useful Embark Profiles? Keybindings? World-gen params? Quickforts?

Wont be making a new pack till 31.13 (or 31.14 knowing Toady), so nothing too version specific yet
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2010, 09:38:50 pm »

I guess if you didn't know how to use it, you might not run it at all. :p

This is true. I tended to shy away from it because I didn't understand the readme.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

Which makes me wonder why World Viewer was too complex to be put in...it is way simpler than a few of the other utilities....just direct it to a few files and bam...thats it

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »

Like I said, it didn't used to be that simple. Back when I looked at it you had to generate the .xml/images/etc, copy/move them to the proper folder, delete the old files there, and then rename your files properly. This process was also poorly explained.
But also like I said, it's much more streamlined and simple now.

I thought utilities like Quickfort way worth learning for their usefulness, and had good documentation. Plus they were requested several times.

This is why I'm open to suggestions :P
It will be in next version (assuming compatibility)

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2010, 02:51:00 pm »

I am sure World Viewer is very simple to use, but as it has no documentation (or none that I could find) I wouldn't know.  Plus, it's not much use to a "newb".
Diggy diggy hole.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.12] [V4.6]
« Reply #263 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »

How about a lazy newb tips and tricks section. Ill start it off..

Sick of selecting what you want each time the caravan liaison comes? Be lazy and use a Macro! When the goods selection for next years caravan comes up, before doing anything else, hit CTRL+R and work your way through the endless list of items, once you've made your selections hit CTRL+R again and then CTRL+S to save the macro for later use. When they come next year, use CTRL+L to load your macro and CTRL+P to play through the steps you took last time. Sit back and relax while DF does all your hard work by itself!

I don't know if that is common knowledge or not, but since I thought about it myself I thought some lazy, newb or both person might be interested.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

Hey that's not a bad idea! Although perhaps tips and tricks would be better suited in a wiki entry or something?
I'll fool around with the idea anyways.

I haven't used the included macro recorder at ALL! That's a good idea of a use for it!
At first I thought you were talking about the actual TRADE dialogue though, which wouldn't make much sense.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 10, 2010, 02:32:37 pm »

Hey that's not a bad idea! Although perhaps tips and tricks would be better suited in a wiki entry or something?
I'll fool around with the idea anyways.

I haven't used the included macro recorder at ALL! That's a good idea of a use for it!
At first I thought you were talking about the actual TRADE dialogue though, which wouldn't make much sense.

Would be a cool idea to have a wiki area dedicated to lazy newb pack, for those that don't read the forums much. Would be more work to keep it updated each release though. Oh and good work on this pack btw, it's great how often it get updated with new utilities. I guess that means you can't say made by lazy people for lazy people :p

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:15 pm »

Here is another new utility that seems simple to use and serves a very important purpose that would help newbs a ton (rock identifying)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65937.0

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »

Nice, that looks really cool. Too bad it'd almost double the file-size of the pack... Just from all the jpeg files.
Might keep it optional. I don't know how much people are worried about file-size though.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »

I know most people work with DSL speeds nowadays....not everyone but most. I know with me the only time I really consider size is if its in the 300MB+ range and even that only takes a few minutes generally. Perhaps it works without the pics? I know when I unpack it I get one error (file name too long) and I have yet to figure out which pic causes that issue....because the worthless error message only lets me see the first part of the file name -.-

Assassintjm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »

Hey guys I'm a newb to this and I know that people usually don't like this question, but how exactly do you install this pack?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 137