Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: Neo Dreams: Chronicles of Avarsiin. Pseudo Devlog.  (Read 58938 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Pen & Paper RPG. Reactions?
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Put it on kickstarter, hire an artist and an editor/formatter and then sell it to the unwashed masses so they can play a good RPG.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2012, 11:16:39 am »

sounds like a great idea. Give a heads up when/if it becomes available for me (one of the unwashed masses) and i will most likely aquire it...with 
money, or other means.......:D
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »

As a quick question, will there/is there multiclassing?

Not in the half-half upon embark, so to speak, but being able to take on a different job of similar taste (Gladiators use swords and shields, they multiclass as Paladins (who instead focus on defense) to learn some great defensive skills to compliment their brute force of awesome.

This is different from say a half kitsune half tentacle demon cross (Which would be devastation to anything... in horrible, horrible ways) in that it's not the species it's the class. In fact, a Red Mage is much like a multiclass in that it can heal and hurt.

Ever play Etarian Odyssey III? I never got to the multiclassing (Damn Narmer.) but it was an interesting concept.
Using it, you could have flintlock-carrying ronin (Ronin + Buccaneer) or what-have-you.

This could also be achieved by in-game methods like shrines or knowing of a profession and studying it along with your own, or done from start.

Another way of doing this would be "pure" classes: A person that learns or knows no skills but can wield any weapon, someone who learns all skills but can only use one kind of weapon, and mages that divine their own magic based on what they see in battle- two swordsman going at it may accidentally create sparks or a loud clang, giving the mage the idea of fireball or Deafening Sound or something.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2012, 05:02:32 pm »

My game's system is totally classless. There's only "Profession" which only determines starting skills and equipment. If you have a thiefy-sneaky type that wants to learn to use sword and shield, or make swords and shields or even enchant equipment, there is nothing stopping them. Any character can use any skill, but they're not going to be great at it at first. Any character can use magic, but again, they aren't going to be great at it at first. Character builds are totally open.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »

Yes.

This makes me happy.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 06, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »

100 Elemental spells...complete! Gotta just keep filling stuff in, and this'll be done before I know it!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2012, 11:36:58 pm »

NEW UPDATE!

Had a good gaming session today, whilst hammering out the kinks for the details on a survival-based mode. You know, gathering resources, building stuff, exploring dead ruins, commanding minions, stuff like that.

Good times.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2012, 12:00:51 am »

NEW UPDATE!

Had a good gaming session today, whilst hammering out the kinks for the details on a survival-based mode. You know, gathering resources, building stuff, exploring dead ruins, commanding minions, stuff like that.

Good times.
FUZZYZERGLING REQUIRES DETAILS!
By which I mean, if you could describe anything interesting that happened, that would be great.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:32 am »

Hey, Max! I've been wondering about your little endeavor here for a while since I've been slowly brewing up a d10 system of my own, though we appear to have pretty differing goals.

You're fighting the good fight, man. I'm the kind of person who loses interest in most things after about 2000 words, so I can respect the amount of work you've put in.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2012, 04:39:14 pm »

NEW UPDATE!

Good times.
FUZZYZERGLING REQUIRES DETAILS!
By which I mean, if you could describe anything interesting that happened, that would be great.

Well, I drew up a crude map, shipwrecked my two players on an island with 8 incompetent mooks (all 0 for stats, human, unskilled, 30hp,) no equipment, and nominal survivability. I hammered out rules for npc food/water consumption, overland movement and "help" rolls (being assisted by NPCs on a particular action.) They found a dwarven mine with several traps (which killed two of the mooks,) a forge with a few materials, and a small stockpile of food, where they set up base. They also found an abandoned temple where one of their mooks converted into a priest of the Goddess of Inequity after an amazing roll. They also found a ruined keep full of "whipstitch beasts," which are basically undead chimaera, skeletons of long dead dwarven warriors, a necromancer that was totally uninterested in the players (both of whom were playing bloodless lineages), and the location of a goblin warcamp. That's where we stopped.

Hey, Max! I've been wondering about your little endeavor here for a while since I've been slowly brewing up a d10 system of my own, though we appear to have pretty differing goals.

You're fighting the good fight, man. I'm the kind of person who loses interest in most things after about 2000 words, so I can respect the amount of work you've put in.
Thanks, man. I appreciate any interest or praise I can muster. ^_^

The next thing I want to do is a Resident Evil (1) style survival horror game, just to see if it works. A bunch of stuff in the game can be eschewed in this type of game, but I'd really like to see if I can even do it. I have a hard time not turning games into, "ZOMFG, world gunna end, saev it, players!"
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:42:07 pm by MaximumZero »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »

8 incompetent mooks (all 0 for stats, human, unskilled, 30hp,)
So if 0 is incompetent, is that minimum, or can you have negative stats? What sort of range would the PCs have? Similarly, what sort of ranges of HP would the PCs have? And what are the different stats?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2012, 08:02:17 pm »

0 is average NPC. You can indeed have negative stats. They were incompetent because a) they had no skills at all, and b) they kept rolling 'automatic failure' rolls.

The PCs had 48 and 27 HP, respectively. One of them was a Doppelganger, and one was a Faerie. I'll let you guess which had less HP, the amorphous blob, or the 3 inch tall floating ball of light. :P

To make matters worse, neither player had the right build for survival in the wilderness. They spent two whole days looking for food, and damn near starved to death before they found the small food stockpile in the mine.

Attributes are broken into four categories: Physical, Mental, Spiritual, and Skills, and each has six components. Physical is about what you'd expect, like Strength, Dexterity, Agility, etc. Mental is about the same, with Intelligence, Charisma, Willpower, etc. Spiritual contains things like Magic, Religion, Meditation and Luck. Skills hold the base skills for fighting, Stealth, Lore and Medicine.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »

I keep throwing my wallet at the computer screen but noting is happening.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »

Pffft. It's a computer, it only accepts electronic payment. Throw your credit card instead.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2012, 04:00:28 am »

Let me get the rules finished before you try to pay for it. :P

Once I get the rules completely done, it'll go to my friends, who will break it thoroughly, then I'll put it back together and put it up on Kickstarter, soz I can hire an artist and a book formatter.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30