Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 122056 times)

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.14) [for DF 31.06]
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 07:47:51 am »

Oooh.. now this looks good.  :)

I want to know if there's gonna be any instances of magical furniture or things... perhaps magic carpets that are a type of pet? But that brings up the issue of wild magic carpets...... hmm.... and it also brings up what happens if a nonflyer mounts them. Will they just fall off in mid-air if it tries to fly?

But, expanding on that magical furniture thing.. I mean stuff like, say, wizard specific toys, which might be stuff like crystal balls, stuffed alligators (yay discworld. :P) talking skulls, dribbly candles.... and there could be clothing like turbans and new kinds of robes, and of course, pointy wizard hats..... too bad it's not possible to create pets at a "summoning circle". One also has to wonder if it would be possible to make a personal alchemic workshop for each wizard furniture item that they need to keep happy.. like how wizards in fiction always seem to keep their labs in their bedrooms.

EDIT: Adding onto this.. is it possible to make some sort of library? with bookcases and books? More importantly, what could one use it for? I suppose magical grimiores could be used for something..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:16:32 am by TheNewerMartianEmperor »
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 12:01:44 pm »

That's an interesting idea.  I hadn't thought about flying mounts before.

They wouldn't show up in the wild without biome tokens.  With [MOUNT_EXOTIC] they could be ridden, but then there is the additional problem of keeping them wizard only.  Hrm.   And there's another mod for books and candles I'm working on, because they need wax and paper and places to make them, too.

I'd rather do something like 'stuffed animal' than name a specific animal, but I like the idea.  Crystal balls could be a custom building but I don't know what the reaction could be, or what skill could be tied to a "scry crystal ball" task (concentration?)

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 12:05:37 pm »

Crystal balls could be a custom building but I don't know what the reaction could be, or what skill could be tied to a "scry crystal ball" task (concentration?)
Maybe Observation?
-
V.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »

True!  And that has utility with the new sneak mechanics.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 01:40:51 pm »

I think you are forgetting the most important part: The Pointy Hats... and shoes. :P

Seriously, though... that's actually quite good... and also, the stuffed alligators are from a joke from the Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett that goes that any decent wizards study will accumulate certain objects. These being bubbling vials, dribbly candles, skulls with dribbly candle inside, books of arcane lore and for reasons that noone is quite sure of: a stuffed alligator, usually hanging from the ceiling. Though, the idea of stuffed animals is pretty intruiging.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:58 pm »

I just had my landshaper go to sleep and die of thirst because he didn't wake up. I haven't played the new DF much so is this a known bug with the main game or something from the mod?
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:34 pm »

I just had my landshaper go to sleep and die of thirst because he didn't wake up. I haven't played the new DF much so is this a known bug with the main game or something from the mod?
Yes, it's a known bug, and according to the bugtracker it will be fixed in .31.07 Controlled entity creatures take their job too seriously and accumulate hunger, thirst and drowsiness until either kills them. Serious guys =)

As an intermediate solution you may try to relieve some of your more thirsty/hungry/sleepy ones from their jobs so they could satisfy their needs. DwarfTherapist is a huge help here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:50:37 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »

'Kay, it's good to know that that isn't caused by the mod.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 06:45:14 pm »

Sweet Armok.

I made an oath that I won't play DF in 0.31 namesake before military will get better and bugs will be fixed, but, GEEZ.

This mod looks too awesome to not play it! *downloads immediately*

Another reason to sigh at the loss of COLD/FIRE/HEAT attack tokens *sighs*
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 07:13:24 pm »

Suggestions:

A smaller 'meditation pad':
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scrolls of Knowledge:

I will now indulge myself in the modded game more, and I promise - it's not the end of my suggestions! :D

EDIT:
Also, you have double CAN_USE_ARTIFACT and this strange thing:

At the end of building_custom_wizard.txt
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:22:33 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 07:47:24 pm »

I think I can second the basic idea of scrolls adding flavor to the game. However both methods of obtaining these and their usefulness in-game seem to raise a slight doubt. But that's just an opinion.

One (more =) ) crazy suggestion from my side, involving scrolls. A dedicated scroll writer (skill, say, Teaching) can create scrolls of enchantment. Then, at some custom workshop an enchanter (I don't know what skill could this be) can with some luck enchant wands - take a scroll and a base lower-class (standard Forge issue) wand, then substitute it with a higher class wand (should be modded into item_weapon_wizard, but not into entity_wizard to make it impossible to be produced at Forge). Sadly, quality modifier will be lost =( However, with master writer and enchanter you will not need a master smith, so if metal is scarce and usual weaponsmith training is thus hampered, you can train enchanter instead.

Edit: in this respect a chance of successful enchanting can be made rather low, so that enchantment process would be long, resource-consuming, but high reward yielding, justifying a need for master enchanter (and writer). A grandmaster mage with armageddon wand and a dozen grudges - death to invaders! ...just don't piss off that guy, watch if he has good enough rooms and food and has no contacts with fellow wizards he doesn't like very much =) Personal dining room, or even personal tower!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:09:23 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »

Never read Discworld... I understand I'm missing out.

Thanks Haspen, and for that meditation pad idea.  I've been pondering renaming the chamber anyway since now it's used less for meditating and more for wand dueling practice.

Consumable scrolls as reagents is a fantastic idea, and so is the idea of "self-improvement" texts.  I'd like to go with books for those, since I have a specific plan for creating books that will allow the kind of stuff we're talking about without being game-breaking or too easy to accomplish.  Assembling a full library should be an accomplishment. 

Offhand, does anyone know if items be permitted as building materials by reagent class?  Because the alternative way to work them into the scroll rack is pretty clunky.

I actually tried adding an Enchanter's Workshop that uses the "nature magic" skill but there doesn't seem to be an associated labor and I couldn't get any of the reactions to show up anyway.  Not that I'm done trying.  It would take a weapon or armor and some other (expensive/rare) reagents and produce "enchanted" weapons of the same type material.  Sadly, the only way these would appear in the world is by creating them yourself and moving them around with adventurers.  Also, here's where I mourn the missing elemental damage tags.   :(

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 08:30:39 pm »

Um... what's wrong with scroll racks anyway? They take scrolls to build, just rename this to library... Am I missing something?

BTW, do wizards smoke? =) If an enchanted (greater) wand would be assigned to some other skill that is normally not trained, like Student, then all wizards basically suck at its usage at first, even if they are OK with normal wands. But they could train Student in a Library! All it takes is the Library (which is itself an achievement to build), the wand (which is preserved), a pouch of tobacco (which is not, but you can grow it), and a reaction 'Research arcane techniques' that produces smoke and trains Student!

Edit: and a Bookkeeper can make Book Collection Blocks from scrolls (or books), and it takes several such collections to create a library...
Sorry, I'm oozing with mad ideas =) I think I'll take a break, not to be a nuisance and derail this thread :-[
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:40:26 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.15) [for DF 31.06]
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:43 am »

Here's a thread regarding books and such.

Anyway, v.15 is up, main focus is fixing a bug that was letting wizards make titanium and cobalt with just charcoal.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.15) [for DF 31.06]
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 04:02:51 am »

Will we need to start our tower again to use the update?
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33