Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569407 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4815 on: May 01, 2011, 02:53:41 pm »

If you guys look closely, you'll notice that those three pictures aren't of Dungeons OR Catacombs OR Sewers.  They're all kind of the same thing, blending into one another or not as the case may be.  Basically what you're looking at is a general picture of the underground of a city, which is filled with all sorts of underground tunnels, passageways, and rooms.

Very roguelike, Toady.  Me likey.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: May 01, 2011, 02:55:08 pm »

Well, the last one doesn't have any sewer channels.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: May 01, 2011, 03:47:58 pm »

I hope not. Perhaps only sewers and only with certain houses.

Not in every basement, but in some. What I think is that in some old houses falling in desrepair sometimes a breach to the underground would be opened. Maybe when we have digger monsters.

Maybe plumbing will happen.
Just a thought.
Might have a need.
Might not....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe you are right. After all, Iin real life it is pretty hard to see rivers with blue water, no?

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: May 01, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »

Not in every basement, but in some. What I think is that in some old houses falling in desrepair sometimes a breach to the underground would be opened. Maybe when we have digger monsters.
Ok, that doesn't sound bad and brings me to ask the question I will ask next:

How many houses will be abandoned and ruined and how will it eventually look? Will some of them be falling apart enough to breach underground? Will there be any kind of creatures(or just bands of outlaws) living in them?
I don't need a signature.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: May 01, 2011, 04:36:06 pm »

Pretty sure that drugs+spiders making funky webs video is a comedy sketch/propaganda and not actually a real experiment

It was a parody of real drugs+spiders experiments.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jeremy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: May 01, 2011, 05:45:14 pm »

Pretty sure that drugs+spiders making funky webs video is a comedy sketch/propaganda and not actually a real experiment

It was a parody of real drugs+spiders experiments.

Not that the real drugs+spider experiments have any real value -- many psychotropic compounds (such as caffeine) are insecticides, which just happen to have effects on mammals such as us.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: May 01, 2011, 07:13:43 pm »

Maybe awakening the king as a monster as a result of disturbing his stuff (like it hints at in the devlog).
I'm hoping to see powerful creatures like LOTR barrow-wights, or D&D liches. In as far as that is possible before we have magic.

I can't wait to see the catacombs decorated. Coffins, slabs, pillars, heavy doors, big urns... hopefully creatures will be able to den in rooms within the dungeons, so we'll have night-creature-style dwellings there too.

Also, the bugs here are going to be hilarious. If only we could still embark on towns. I'd love to find one of those embarks which immediately caves in, on top of a city, so the citizens spill into the sewers and the sewers drain into the catacombs and the halls of the restless dead fall into the caverns, which can then be drained into hell...

Edit: I wonder if the thirty accented N's ThreeToe included actually means 29 new types of undead are planned. That would be beyond epic.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: May 01, 2011, 08:22:45 pm »

Oh, fuck yes
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »

In Adventure Mode, will we be able to control the equipment of companions and maybe even spar with them to improve skills?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:14 pm »

I've made comments and suggestions before, but never asked a question.  And I'd really like an answer if it's at all possible, from the man himself.

With all the new monsters, night creatures, undead, titans, and demons... is there any consideration being given to how the different races are actually going to survive?  Will there be great heroes, other than the player character, that actually stand a chance against these threats? Or can we look forward to entire worlds dying off by the year 200?

Alternately, if we can look forward to massive death from armies of undead, will these creatures take over and form a new society that we can then interact with in some way other than killing them?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:51:11 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: May 01, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

For the most part it isn't that tough for people to survive.

Generation goes WAAAY out of its way to ensure that megabeasts and semimegabeasts live. I mean if a hydra attacked your town would you solo it or get the entire town watch on it? It also goes out of its way to make Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts oddly harmless... Rampages feel more like Sunday Brunch and I would have no problem with less frequent megabeast attacks but with a lot more damage.

A group of 5 soldiers can dogpile and kill megabeasts in adventure mode (disapointingly)

For the most part though as powerful as a creature is, an army is a good deterrant.

If anything I'd like to know how different races could actually, reasonably, die.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:08:13 pm by Neonivek »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:56 pm »

Maybe world gen should limit megabeast attacks while the world is young, and ramp them up when there are great empires? That would allow more interesting interactions between great civilizations and powerful monsters.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:59 pm »

Maybe world gen should limit megabeast attacks while the world is young, and ramp them up when there are great empires? That would allow more interesting interactions between great civilizations and powerful monsters.

Well from what I understand Megabeasts arn't outright there to destroy civilisation and the ones that would (Like a Titan) either
A) Arn't interested in small villages
or
B) Actually would create a "No civ" zone

I have nothing against B EXCEPT that so far civs treat megabeasts like they don't exist.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 342