Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569327 times)

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #285 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:58 am »

Regarding the Arsenal Dwarf, I was just thinking how a more useful incarnation of that position might work. What if they gathered up complete uniforms ahead of time so they would be there as soon as someone needed them? It should be configurable how many of each uniform to keep on hand, and of course if there was no uniform waiting in the arsenal, military dwarves should hunt the pieces down on their own as normal.

This! He could also keep the barracks clean, and arrange non-used sets on armor stands! Each armor stand holds a full set of armor (one uniform), and keeps the best weapons mentioned in uniforms available in weapon stands. Perhaps with some position setting to decide what sort of uniforms you want on stock.

Will it be possible for squads to automatically swap to training weapons when sparring?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:31:13 am by IronValley »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:49 am »

Regarding the Arsenal Dwarf, I was just thinking how a more useful incarnation of that position might work. What if they gathered up complete uniforms ahead of time so they would be there as soon as someone needed them? It should be configurable how many of each uniform to keep on hand, and of course if there was no uniform waiting in the arsenal, military dwarves should hunt the pieces down on their own as normal.
That sounds as though it would be incompatible with the way uniforms currently work.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #287 on: July 08, 2010, 05:39:45 am »

That sounds as though it would be incompatible with the way uniforms currently work.

I would imagine him having chat with manager dwarf and adding necesary items for full uniform to queue so that they get made.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:20 am »

I would imagine him having chat with manager dwarf and adding necesary items for full uniform to queue so that they get made.

I'm not opposed to that idea, but it might need some other prep first.  What if the uniform is set to use something like any metal for some pieces?  What metal will be used in the manager order?  And what if you don't have enough of a particular materiel?  The announcement log will be spammed with armorers cancelling jobs due to lack of metal like what already happens when there's a manager order that cannot be fulfilled.  Except this one would recreate the order after deletion.

I also like the idea of the arsenal dwarf being more active.  Moving clothing laying around owned by military dwarves into cabinets located in the barracks.  And moving full uniforms onto armor stands and weapon racks when they aren't being used.  Stocking the barracks with proper training weapons, or training ammunition in a similar fashion to the hospital when he's not doing anything better.  Of course actually managing the equipment manifests would outprioritize all this, so you don't have him running around doing all that when he should be upgrading the squads to adamantine. But having him actually run around doing something instead of just hanging out in the meeting hall sounds like a way to make him more useful and more interesting at the same time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #289 on: July 08, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »

I'm not opposed to that idea, but it might need some other prep first.  What if the uniform is set to use something like any metal for some pieces?  What metal will be used in the manager order?  And what if you don't have enough of a particular materiel?  The announcement log will be spammed with armorers cancelling jobs due to lack of metal like what already happens when there's a manager order that cannot be fulfilled.  Except this one would recreate the order after deletion.

Alternativelly, he could be making mandates for armor/weapon that is in short supply.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

Are we going to be able to have statues and figurines of deities soon? This would be a good filler until religion is focused on.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »

The Arsenal Dorf being responsible for storage and clean up seems out of place. He suppose to be Head of Equipment guy.

If he could issue jobs for such things for other dorfs to do, that would make more sense to me.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 08, 2010, 04:18:50 pm »

Maybe the Arsenal Dwarf could provide you a report that shows all of your military dwarves and their level of equipment, with mismatching items highlighted. That way you could easily see that your Axedwarf who's supposed to be in all Metal armor is using a Leather Cap. Or that one of your spear dwarves is still using a Bronze spear when you've been upgrading everyone else to Steel.

That would make him quite useful, in my opinion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 08, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

will moving fortress parts displace water, thus enabling an actual oversized piston pump to be created?

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 08, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 08, 2010, 06:53:33 pm »

will moving fortress parts displace water, thus enabling an actual oversized piston pump to be created?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:40 pm »

Regarding the "farming improvements" goals, how much detail is currently planned for tracking soil quality?

A completely accurate model would probably be a lot of effort/information with little to gain from it, though enough detail to properly encourage crop rotation seems like something that should make it in eventually.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »

Will blunt weapons be useful against skeletal enemies? One would think that skeletons wouldbe somewhat fragile, and a strong impact would be enough to take off a head or something. Will this be the case?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:31:19 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2010, 05:44:00 am »

That's entirely dependent on how Toady will resolve undead health. Right now, he's had to fudge in an HP system for undead when everything else doesn't use HP anymore. So the question is what, if any, common thread of 'durability'/'health' will the general Creatures of the Night have. Whether they're dependent on the intactness of the physical body or not.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2010, 06:14:32 am »

Man I'm really desperate for some serious disembowelment.

Release nao plx :D
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 342