Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569322 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2970 on: January 13, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »

My understanding on Steam is that it's in the same boat as biological waste - because of its controversial nature, it would need to have an init option to disable it, and Toady doesn't want to prioritize something that a bunch of people would just turn off anyway.

Steam power isn't being excluded because it's controversial amongst the players; it's being excluded because Toady doesn't want to include it. He's made statements about that plenty of times.

This is what I get for leaving Dwarf Fortress alone for three months. Not by choice, gentlemen.

But, at any rate, I leave it alone and come back to all this wonderful news!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 13, 2011, 03:37:13 pm »

Actually, I'm curious to know if the deforestation caused by human settlements is currently related to the amount of lumber demanded for the construction of buildings.

IIRC deforestation in history wasn't caused so by buildings, neither by house heating - those consume too little wood to have much impact. The main causes were charcoal burning for metal industry (should get in the caravan arc), ship building (far from in the game), and simply burning the woods to make more land for farming (which I guess is the current in-game deforestation).
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 13, 2011, 04:27:17 pm »

Haiti was deforested largely to provide fuel for cooking.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 13, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »

Haiti is island with high population density [EDIT2: lets rephrase - is located on part of quite small island. Mine English failed here.].

EDIT:

What was connected with the worst method of charcoal making ever

Rather than using techniques which could make forestry more productive for fuel, like coppicing and pollarding, the lack of title on much land results in charcoal burners digging up and using tree root structures. (sic!!!) [from enwiki].
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:58:27 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 13, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

Haiti is island with high population density.

EDIT:

What was connected with the worst method of charcoal making ever

Rather than using techniques which could make forestry more productive for fuel, like coppicing and pollarding, the lack of title on much land results in charcoal burners digging up and using tree root structures. (sic!!!) [from enwiki]

I feel the need to correct you here like some kind of geography jerk. Haiti only occupies half the island the other half, The Dominican Republic is still heavily forested thanks to that nations policies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:10:02 pm by Gnoll Fortress »

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 13, 2011, 11:25:10 pm »

Actually, I'm curious to know if the deforestation caused by human settlements is currently related to the amount of lumber demanded for the construction of buildings.

IIRC deforestation in history wasn't caused so by buildings, neither by house heating - those consume too little wood to have much impact. The main causes were charcoal burning for metal industry (should get in the caravan arc), ship building (far from in the game), and simply burning the woods to make more land for farming (which I guess is the current in-game deforestation).

Wood is used in everything in a pre-modern society, such that wood as fuel--whether for cooking or for bricks or for meta--was not the only significant draw, and wood for scaffolding in the construction of stone structures consumed much more wood in the late Greek and early Roman period than earlier construction projects for mostly wood structures.  Still, deforestation was not simply caused to get wood, it was also caused to create farmland or simply deny ecosystems services of forests to groups who were better suited to them.  Urbanizing powers found that both their own people and competing, less advanced societies, were made weaker by large-scale destruction of forested regions, regardless of whether the wood was put to good use.

On the other side of things, oftentimes primeval forests could not regrow due to environmental changes (whether climate or soil regime) so any damage done to certain forests was, by their very nature, permanent.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:01 am »

I don't think it's funny, enlighten me please

Heffer was the cow from "Rockos modern life" which is a US american cartoon from the 90's. Adopted Son of a pair of wolfs which at first intended to eat him ironicly.

See as much i like this one character i like to refer to an old old old limb man. An lonely man who created a family for himself, a man with an extraordinary mind and sense for art, a man forged in the first fires of the universe itself. Or so the story goes. Nothing more to it and sadly not funny.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 14, 2011, 06:50:26 pm »

Isn't it about time you created the 2011 page of the devlog? ;)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 14, 2011, 07:06:28 pm »

will only herbivore animals be eating now or will carnivores and omnivores be hunting or scavenging meat?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 15, 2011, 07:00:47 pm »

BUT WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN 10% OF THE CURRENT ONE DONE YET

:o

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 16, 2011, 03:06:23 am »

BUT WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN 10% OF THE CURRENT ONE DONE YET

:o
Just change 2010 to 2011 obviously :P
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:43 am »

Neato, now we have clay!

Once we get some pies, I'll be able to my tribute fort to both SOAD and crazed Chinese emperors.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 16, 2011, 05:12:33 am »

There still something to be done about trade and the caravan arc for this release? What do you still want to implement before a release?

I know you aren't good with release dates (no one is) but if a release is near, I won't start a fortress now (though I really want to play one)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:14:56 am by thvaz »

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:27 am »

There still something to be done about trade and the caravan arc for this release? What do you still want to implement before a release?

I know you aren't good with release dates (no one is) but if a release is near, I won't start a fortress now (though I really want to play one)
I started 3 fortresses in the last few days :P
You can always get a new one, hehe

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 16, 2011, 05:20:24 am »

I started 3 fortresses in the last few days :P
You can always get a new one, hehe

I don't really have too much time to play. And as a long time player, I usually get burned up few months by DF after a long fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 342