Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572216 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3045 on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:39 am »

DF's equivalent of teleporting someone's heart three feet to the left will be briefly teleporting them to the dimension where the air is full of 20,000 degree syndrome-laiden toxins that cause the victim to hallucinate, vomit, and melt all at once, generally fatally.
I'm not too sure I can see a point of any kind coming from this...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:34 am »

Teleporting organs was one of the spells in Armok 1
It's also relating to the multiple dimensions thing.
*Hugs*

herpaderpz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: January 20, 2011, 07:39:18 am »

Labyrinths would be pretty awesome. Imagine having to take with you a huge amount of pebbles or a veeeeeeeeeeeery long rope just to lay out the path and being able to navigate the labyrinth, so you don't starve to death trying to get out.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:36 am »

Labyrinths are in iirc. Guess where all that minotaurs roam.

from the magmawiki

Minotaurs inhabit Labyrinths (marked with a # on the Travel map). As you explore the labyrinth, the Minotaur will taunt you until you find and kill it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:50:19 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:45 am »

In january 2010 Toady updated the devlogs around twenty days. his number slowly decreased during the course of 2010, and in january he only made four updates up to this day.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: January 20, 2011, 08:42:55 am »

In january 2010 Toady updated the devlogs around twenty days. his number slowly decreased during the course of 2010, and in january he only made four updates up to this day.
Maybe it is connected with bugfixing? But it would be cool to announce "Today I fixed bugs #262626 #727272 and #626262"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:32 am »

Well back the toafdy did a big number of minor features. Nowadays he consolidates these features into more or less thematic bundles.

And for bugfixes you can look at the mantis-tracker under the chagelog link.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3052 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:31 am »

Maybe it is connected with bugfixing? But it would be cool to announce "Today I fixed bugs #262626 #727272 and #626262"

Well, we have this page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

But it is not as if you can realibly judge dev progress from amount of messages:

Does writing too much mean he is procastrinating, working slowly and having enough time to note details or that he is really busy adding new stuff ahead schedule and thus having ton of stuff to inform us about.

Does writing too little mean that he is way too bus deving to take few minutes to inform us about new stuff or that he is simply taking it easy?

Then there is HFS as well as joys of letting people discover new features by themselves that conflict with making updates.

Really, you should not pay much attention to rate of devlog messages.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: January 20, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

Now that site resources are going to become much more important, are we going to see items start to take multiple material types anytime soon? Spears are an obvious example, since wood is much cheaper than metal and it's cheaper and more efficient to make 4 spears instead of a single longsword.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

I did not imply he is working less or implementing less, just that he is not updating the devlog so often anymore. And this is one of the things that made him so different from others developers. I just miss the frequent updates. I still check devlog daily.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: January 20, 2011, 01:35:55 pm »

Last January he was in the final stretch of a release 18 months in the making. People had been hoping for a Christmas release prior to that so I think his rate of posting was up to keep people engaged.

I think a lot of the stuff he's working on right now is pretty dry as well. It was hilarious to read about testing efforts around the medicine path, poisons, etc. Now that he's apparently mainly working on bringing up real industries in teh villages I don't suppose the bugs are as dramatic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3056 on: January 20, 2011, 02:04:30 pm »

I think it's clear we need more human sacrifices to keep the updates coming.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »

I would prefer an answer post.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: January 20, 2011, 02:48:23 pm »

I think a lot of the stuff he's working on right now is pretty dry as well. It was hilarious to read about testing efforts around the medicine path, poisons, etc. Now that he's apparently mainly working on bringing up real industries in teh villages I don't suppose the bugs are as dramatic.

I don't think it's necessary to post only hilarious stories or funny bugs. I for one would appreciate even a dry: "bugfixing the world-gen agriculture for the past two ways. There still hasn't been a famine, and I really want to tone the food amounts down". Or something. Background things like these could actually be more enlightening and interesting to read than funny stories.

But seriously, I woe about the days where we used to get our daily dose of DF news.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: January 20, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »

Yeah, I much prefer dry but frequent updates to rare but wordy updates.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 342